Los ojos negros (Via Verde) or El Camino from Puerto de Sagunto. Any knowledge?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
llayercake

Los ojos negros (Via Verde) or El Camino from Puerto de Sagunto. Any knowledge?

Post by llayercake »

Hi to all, returning after a break.

I'd like to do either of the routes above, probably in July.
My only concern is whether my trusty old Topeak DX super tour pannier rack will withstand the rough tracks. It won't be overloaded and has done coast to coast UK and Santander to Valencia carrying 20kg each time. I'll be replacing the mounting bolts.

I've ridden Puerto de Sagunto almost to Soneja and encountered some admittedly short but pretty bumpy sections. If the majority of the Via Verde is gravel or smooth then great, if not I'll need to look at a Thule or try bikepacking bags I guess.

Thanks for reading.
horizon

Re: Los ojos negros (Via Verde) or El Camino from Puerto de Sagunto. Any knowledge?

Post by horizon »

I've done Ojos Negros wild camping from Teruel to Sagunto as part of a trip from Santander to Valencia (with a bit of train and bus in the middle). AFAIR, most of it is excellent surface (tarmac or gravel) with lots of interesting bridges and tunnels (some rather long). I did it a while ago in 2010 but I imagine it's still good. There's a good website guide for it. I was on a MTB with 1.75" tyres but I reckon 32s would have done it.

Ojos Negros (Black Eyes!) is good because it is one of the longer via verdes.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
llayercake

Re: Los ojos negros (Via Verde) or El Camino from Puerto de Sagunto. Any knowledge?

Post by llayercake »

Many thanks :D

Didn't expect to have that resolved so quickly!
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've looked through some photos and there are gravel sections but they're well made and other sections are just tarmac. The last few km AFAIR were on road to Sagunto.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher