Woodtourer's next Euro Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Re: Woodtourer's next Euro Tour

Post by Woodtourer »

I decided to abandon the National Express idea. I had a log Messenger session and and feeling quite uncomfortable. They are going to provide a refund.
I think we will just book a taxi/ minivan. I really don't want to get stuck after a long flight.
The train sounded like a good idea but it does sound reasonable to be able to get our bike boxes and gear onboard.
Woodtourer

Taxi recommendation??

Post by Woodtourer »

On a previous post I decided to back away from National Express. So I am starting to explore taxi companies. Any suggestions? Any to avoid?
Thanks!
tatanab

Re: Taxi recommendation??

Post by tatanab »

20+ years ago I travelled regularly from Portsmouth to Heathrow by taxi with one bike in a purpose made bike box or bag which fitted in the boot (trunk) of the car. Whoever you use you will of course need to tell them that you have 2 and probably give them dimensions.

This is too long ago for me to recall their name, so I cannot specifically recommend, but their base was in Havant (a small town just to the east of Portsmouth). A search for Havant airport taxi, or Portsmouth airport taxi, will get many hits because this is now a much bigger business than it was 20 years ago.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks for your reply!
After checking some of the sites it appears that since Portsmouth is a cruise ship site it's a popular route.
Thankfully National Express is willing to give a refund after a lengthy Messenger conversation with them yesterday. I know it is more $ than the train but it just seems too much hassle after. Long flight.
PH

Post by PH »

IMO it's a shame you've felt it necessary to change your plans. Although it's a possibility that there could have been a problem, I expect the likelihood of that is pretty low and there isn't a transport option that doesn't have to potential for failure. Friends had their flight delayed several hours last week, any ongoing connection would have needed rearranging, it happens...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You could do a one way car/van hire. Just did a quick check with Enterprise and it would be about £175 for a full size MPV from Heathrow to Portsmouth. You should be able to get all your bikes and gear in that. Cheaper for a smaller car but you might struggle to get the bikes in, though we can get 2 bikes in bike bags in the back of our Vauxhall Corsa, with the rear seats down.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:You could do a one way car/van hire. Just did a quick check with Enterprise and it would be about £175 for a full size MPV from Heathrow to Portsmouth.

That's about 1.5 times an advertised MPV taxi fare plus IMO it's not clever driving an unfamiliar vehicle far in a strange country after a long flight.

As over in the other thread, I've not used any Heathrow or Portsmouth taxis or private hires so cannot recommend, but there seem to be plenty advertising.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I might have missed something here but as I see it, you arrive at Heathrow, you unbox the bikes and set them up (in warmth and comfort in the terminal with coffee), you check the train times on your phone. If it is night-time, you have a nap. No problem at all on the trains unless it is peak time into London. You then pedal off round the airport (there is an internal ring road), down to Feltham, board the train to Waterloo (probably change at Clapham Junction) and then catch the train to Southampton.

I recently had to cycle from Feltham to Terminal Five and back to meet a group. No problem at all IIRC.

Any flaw in my proposals?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:I might have missed something here but as I see it, you arrive at Heathrow, you unbox the bikes and set them up (in warmth and comfort in the terminal with coffee), you check the train times on your phone. If it is night-time, you have a nap. No problem at all on the trains unless it is peak time into London. You then pedal off round the airport (there is an internal ring road), down to Feltham, board the train to Waterloo (probably change at Clapham Junction) and then catch the train to Southampton.

I recently had to cycle from Feltham to Terminal Five and back to meet a group. No problem at all IIRC.

Any flaw in my proposals?

1. I think there's now cycleways and possibly signed all the way between T5 and Ashford station except the southernmost half mile.
2. Changing at Woking for Portsmouth should be less stressful than going to Waterloo or Clapham Junction, as well as the correct direction.
3. I think Woodtourer wants to keep the boxes for the return and I'm not sure if they can be carried by bike.

Other than 3, I'd go for the train, like you. Once you add the cost of storing the boxes, an MPV cab probably isn't much dearer and a bit easier.

Less a flaw than a missing detail, but arrivals at T2/3 need to use the free-but-ticketed shuttle train (not tube) to T5 because bikes are still banned from the exit road tunnels. T4 arrivals could use the shuttle train, or could ride a bit of the southern perimeter road clockwise to reach the bit with the cycleway, or could exit onto the noisy 1930s-standard A30 cycleway and head for Feltham or Ashford stations directly.
Last edited by mjr on 20 Feb 2020, 3:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I agree, too many tales of gloom and doom about National Express. I use them regularly and find them faultless with drivers very helpful. Note that the doomsayers have never had a problem personally.
mjr

Post by mjr »

hamster wrote:I agree, too many tales of gloom and doom about National Express. I use them regularly and find them faultless with drivers very helpful. Note that the doomsayers have never had a problem personally.

Be fair! One of what you call "doomsayers" had tried to use it and chickened out, one has been on the bus when there were problems for another cyclist and the other is Woodtourer posting the actual NatEx policy that says unfolded bikes aren't allowed! Compared to that, you posted that you'd never seen problems on some local bus service. Hardly a glowing reassurance, was it?

Have you actually taken your bike on Nat Ex then? That might have been useful info to post!

Most posters there had no recent experience of bikes on Nat Ex (they only have two buses a day near me, I think: one to Yarmouth and one to Aberystwyth - not much use to me) and offered only possible fallback plans in case they are as bad as they look.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks mjr, that's really good. So yes, which terminal matters but still OK (bikes on shuttles OK?). Then a choice of the best station for purpose. For me it would always be on the bike asap.

So the real fly in the ointment seems to be the boxes. Hmmm. :? I used to fly with a homemade bag made from a tent groundsheet. Obviously a bag can be carried (and then left at the B and B). I presume that the whole shebang starts again at the end of the trip. I've often wondered why an enterprising luggage shop doesn't hire out solid bike boxes with a corresponding drop-off at the other end.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

hamster wrote:I agree, too many tales of gloom and doom about National Express. I use them regularly and find them faultless with drivers very helpful. Note that the doomsayers have never had a problem personally.

The problem is the uncertainty. I too reckon they would get away with it, but cannot be sure. But I also think there are other hassles if the bikes are boxed: they have to get to the coach point with them and they have to get to their B and B. Not impossible but bikes make better luggage carriers than being carried.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Addison Lee, always been reliable + got larger vehicles to take bikes.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Is Addison Lee the company name?
Thanks!