Re-inflating tyres post flight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Re-inflating tyres post flight

Post by simonhill »

Not only do I use garage pumps, but if I am boxing my bike, I never let any air out. If or when asked, at check in I say they are half pressure, which is true as they are rated at 90 or 100.

If in a poly bag, it's a different story as some helpful baggage handler will probably mishandle your bike and let the tyres down.

Remembered on my WW1 trip that I needed a bit of air somewhere in the Somme area. Stopped at small petrol station and then noticed he was charging for his air. When he saw I was a foreign (Brit?) touring cyclist he said it was free for me. Oh and my tyres didn't explode that time either.

PS I do carry a pump, I'm just too lazy to use it. One of the few 'tools' I consider essential.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

simonhill wrote:PS I do carry a pump, I'm just too lazy to use it. One of the few 'tools' I consider essential.

You cycle across France and are "too lazy" to use a pump! :shock:

You have the wrong pump- maybe?
The Top Peak Morphs recommended upthread are the best pumps I ever owned.
Joy in every stroke. :D
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

st599_uk wrote:Due to the difficulty with trains, engineering works, rail replacement buses and time off work constraints. a group of us are having to fly to Basel.

I'll be dropping the tyre pressure, just in case, but am wondering about re-inflating them. I normally ride with about 85 psi in the tyres. The little hand pump I have would struggle to get up to that. Basel itself is in the wrong direction and would add 90 mins to an already long ride on arrival.

Just wondering if there's a better portable pump, or if I can use the pump on a petrol station forecourt (I have the correct valves) to achieve 85 psi?

I find Presta valves much easier to fill than Schraeder.
If you can't pump your tyres to the desired pressure you are doing something wrong. Get a better pump (high volume for low pressure and vice versa) or one with a hose you can rest on the ground.

If you pump your tyres to 85 psi no reason not to use a compressor, unless it won't go high enough. Most compressors won't go over 100 psi but with with car tyres usually around 25-35 it could be adjusted lower
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

Don't deflate your tyres. There is no need.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I flew into Basel airport with my bike a few years ago and I recall that it's well set up for cyclists with a space to build you bike and even a pump.

I found a tweet [0] that confirms it was still there in 2019, so you should be good.

[0] https://twitter.com/hovis_jovis/status/ ... 2395008000
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bikes`n`guns wrote:Don't deflate your tyres. There is no need.

I wonder how the myth arose.
Is it applied to other pneumatics, wheelchairs for instance?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mike Sales wrote:

To compensate for the typical cabin pressure on an airliner, you should reduce your tyre pressure by around 4 psi. :)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

DaveReading wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

To compensate for the typical cabin pressure on an airliner, you should reduce your tyre pressure by around 4 psi. :)

If your tyres can take an extra 4psi, why would you need to?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

....... because it's written into most airline's rules. I almost always get asked. No point in trying to explain the physics.

Unfortunately the baggage handlers are often also aware of the rule and have been known to apply it. One poster on here reckons his tyres were deflated with a knife when his bike was in a poly bag. Mine were also deflated once, but I only lost the valve caps.

Some airlines don't require it, eg BA and easyJet. But you've still got to run the gauntlet of the handlers.

I once suggested that the CTC took this up, but they never did. Also the authority responsible for airline safety, etc have other more pressing concerns particularly re liquids, carry one, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The cabin is pressurised of course but maybe the hold is not
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The cabin is pressurised of course but maybe the hold is not

The tyres of the plane are out in the cold low pressure air, but the hold is pressurized. Much easier to make a round tube hold pressure than trying to do the same with a flat cabin floor.

All rules by airlines start to make sense if you assume their purpose is to make your life a misery and thrash your bike and belongings ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The cabin is pressurised of course but maybe the hold is not

Aircraft holds are pressurised.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've asked who lets the plane's tyres down after take off, but don't get a reply.

It's never a good idea to make them, or their rules look silly because when we fly with our bikes we are at the mercy of the airlines. I usually keep my head bowed and accept what rubbish they spout. Not worth arguing.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonhill wrote:I've asked who lets the plane's tyres down after take off, but don't get a reply.

It's never a good idea to make them, or their rules look silly because when we fly with our bikes we are at the mercy of the airlines. I usually keep my head bowed and accept what rubbish they spout. Not worth arguing.

Exactly. It's happened to me on 50% of my flights-with-bike.
(the all-powerful staff are another reason I hate flying, but another thread perhaps … )

If you don't have a decent pump, it's clearly even more likely! :P
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:I absolutely love my little Lezyne.
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/han ... fdr-v204hp
Works like a miniature track pump and will get my tyres to 120psi.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-f ... -abs-pump/

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden