Hadrians Wall Cycle Way Camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
3speednut

Hadrians Wall Cycle Way Camping

Post by 3speednut »

I am thinking of trying the Hadrian's Wall Cycle way from Carlisle to Tynemouth and possibly camping can anyone recommend any good campsites along the route ,I am going to do it over 5days -4 nights so low mileage and taking my time and having a look at things of interest on the way ,I may start on the coast from Maryport maybe not sure yet ,any help from anyone's experience of this route would be welcome particularly camping experience.
foxyrider

Re: Hadrians Wall Cycle Way Camping

Post by foxyrider »

My experience, back in 2009, was that camp sites along the wall route are in short supply.

I did it over 3 days from Carlisle, there are certainly sites at either end but you may need to wander some distance off route across the middle (and out to the coast at the eastern end) - i ended up right down at Rowlands Gill on my second night having spent the first in a Motel just off the Military Road.

Its a nice ride bit IMHO the stretch tacked on from Maryport is a washout with no purpose other than to add miles. (there is a tiny Roman site and museum there but its got nothing to do with the Wall which starts on the Solway Firth)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I did it from Whitehaven last April over ,4 days. I stayed at Allonby, just west of Carlisle +can't remember sure) and Hadrian's Wall camp site Haltwhistle. Haltwhistle was superb but a bit off the route.

Lanercost Priory is a great lunch stop.

A great ride.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Slack house farm https://slackhousefarm.co.uk/the-cafe-and-farm-shop/ is good food stop. I bought one of their organic yoghurts as a starter last September and I’m still using it. You can’t do that with Yeo! They also have a camping barn from £15.
I like the C&CC camping site at Haltwhistle a couple of miles off route with a great pub in walking distance.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Look on YouTube for the beard brothers hadrian wall cycle
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Greystoke wrote:Look on YouTube for the beard brothers hadrian wall cycle

:wink: :- https://youtu.be/kQ1QcBr5Dmw
I really like those two's videos :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Thanks for all your reply's and yes I have seen the Beard Bros videos they are very good inspiring things to watch .
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Norman H wrote:Cycle travel is your friend.

https://cycle.travel/route/hadrians_cycleway/stay

Thanks for the link NormanH excellent site.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Fallowfield dene caravan and camping site 10mins from Hexham nr the village of Acomb and around 10mins to the wall itself. I've seen many cycle tourers there, I have a caravan there and if I'm around you'd be welcome to a coffee and breakfast.... it takes me around 4hrs to cycle to the coast from the site going West to East and is around 35mile
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Cheers aquila, thats a nice thought, i will bear that in mind :D
Adamcycles17

Post by Adamcycles17 »

Camp sites we used last Summer were at Wylam (ok but only one loo, no shower), Acomb (good), Brockalee at Bardon Mill (excellent) and Banks (very good almost wild camping with basic facilities).
The Bistro en Glaze in Wylam was the stand out meal.

Vindolanda the top Museum. My blog is on Crazyguyonabike.com.

This was a slow ride to do lots of Roman stuff hence the close spacing of the sites.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

There's also a new Youth Hostel at Once Brewed with great views. Was meant to be there last night.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

st599_uk wrote:There's also a new Youth Hostel at Once Brewed with great views. Was meant to be there last night.

Booked up for ever. Sorry you are unable to go.
John
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Oldjohnw wrote:
st599_uk wrote:There's also a new Youth Hostel at Once Brewed with great views. Was meant to be there last night.

Booked up for ever. Sorry you are unable to go.
All yha closed until July. Will try and sort it out again once all this is over.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”