Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LittleGreyCat

Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Covid-19 is hitting the headlines as we all know.
Areas where there are new infections are being isolated and various travel restrictions are being proposed or imposed.

At what point is this likely to have an impact on planned tours in mainland Europe for the first half of 2020, and is anyone making contingency plans?

I have a planned tour at the end of April in the Netherlands and so far there seems to be no major outbreak but I assume that countries are becoming nervous about tourists from e.g. Italy cycling around their country. F1 openers are in doubt, rugby is being cancelled, even the Olympics are being questioned.

I'm now wondering if this can be insured against (if it is not too late).

Thankfully no touring in Italy is planned.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve got a 7 day tour from Switzerland to the U.K. coming up in June, AFAIK there’s no reason to worry about that yet.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I would think it is now too late for any insurance, but normally the condition for reimbursement would be a negative government travel advisory. Thus far we have no cases in the Netherlands, but I am sure it is only a matter of time before we will have the first one.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is it statistically significant compared to influenza and the like?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is it statistically significant compared to influenza and the like?

The current lack of a vaccine makes it more of a worry. If you imagine a form of highly contagious influenza without an effective vaccine, and the danger that would pose to people with underlying health problems, I think that is similar to what this is. Most people who get it will be fine a week or so later, but a small percentage will die. And because it spreads easily and lots of people will get it, there will be lots of deaths. Another concern is the burden it will put on Health Services.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm currently touring in Vietnam which has a long border with China. I had to make my go or stay decision some weeks ago, I decided to go.

I decided the risk was very low, but do not intend to give advice on going or not on this or any other forum.

As said, until Govt advice says don't go, travel insurance will not pay. If worried and before booking, you would need to ask them if they consider this a known risk, like planned strike, forecast storm etc.

I am more worried about travel problems. Many airlines are cancelling flights due to reduced passenger numbers. The Chinese, who have largely stopped travelling make up the largest number of tourists worldwide so this is having a massive effect on the tourist industry. This may be good for you in less crowds and discounted hotels, etc or bad if transport is cancelled or tourist sites shut down for economic or health reasons.

My advice is keep an eye on media and official information and make any decision based on that. This may be a rational decision based on the facts or it may be irrational one based on some of the more sensational media stories.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

LittleGreyCat wrote:....I'm now wondering if this can be insured against (if it is not too late)......

What would you want to insure against. Insure against catching it (i.e. get compensation)? Insure for repatriation? Insure against cancellation?

My impression is that normally insurance companies follow Government guidelines on travel i.e. ig Government recommends you don't go then they accept that as a reason for cancellation. But just check with whatever policy provider you go with.

All the travel insurance I've taken out over the last 2 years (and I've spent a fair time away from UK under travel insurance) does not seem to care less where you go beyond you having ticked or not ticked to include the USA.

But if you ar worried best to ask your insurer than a forum as undoubtedly different insurers will have different terms and conditions.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I firmly believe(I hope I'm wrong)that we the public are being told what the authorities want us to hear so as not to cause too much panic,only last night I heard on BBC new that this virus is no worse than Flu andntheat Flu causes more deaths each year than Corona virus.If that's the case,what's all the fuss about?
Me thinks this virus is far worse,either that or there's too much fuss being made about nothing,hmmm........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

10,000 people die in the UK alone every year from “the flu”.Generally these are people with underlying health issues(the elderly etc).The “Corona”virus has been here years.This is just another strain.
SARS,Bird-flu,Swine-flu.....remember the hysteria?All variant strains of “the flu” all were called “pandemics” non wiped us out :roll:
Covid-19 is the same.
Keep calm and carry on.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Shares in airlines have taken a dip due to an anticipated drop in air travel this year. Saudi Arabia has just stopped foreign pilgrims going to Mecca. I think there is real reason to question whether one will be able to travel far this summer. Even the relatively close and normally safe terrain of Italy is looking a bit shaky as a destination. You might think it not much of a risk and be happy to go, but when you get there will you find accommodation and other facilities open? Will you be allowed to visit the sites? I do think there is doubt.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

pwa wrote:Shares in airlines have taken a dip due to an anticipated drop in air travel this year. Saudi Arabia has just stopped foreign pilgrims going to Mecca. I think there is real reason to question whether one will be able to travel far this summer. Even the relatively close and normally safe terrain of Italy is looking a bit shaky as a destination. You might think it not much of a risk and be happy to go, but when you get there will you find accommodation and other facilities open? Will you be allowed to visit the sites? I do think there is doubt.

Hopefully when the natural U.V. levels increase as we approach summer, the whole thing will blow over.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Shares in airlines have taken a dip due to an anticipated drop in air travel this year. Saudi Arabia has just stopped foreign pilgrims going to Mecca. I think there is real reason to question whether one will be able to travel far this summer. Even the relatively close and normally safe terrain of Italy is looking a bit shaky as a destination. You might think it not much of a risk and be happy to go, but when you get there will you find accommodation and other facilities open? Will you be allowed to visit the sites? I do think there is doubt.

Yet I've never heard of travel restrictions for Flu virus :?
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:

We have vaccines for some strains of flu, which we give to those most at risk. Those people will have no vaccine protection against this. I think that is the difference. When there is an effective vaccine it will look like just another health hazard.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

We have vaccines for some strains of flu, which we give to those most at risk. Those people will have no vaccine protection against this. I think that is the difference. When there is an effective vaccine it will look like just another health hazard.

But the Flu vaccine isn't compulsory nor even available to many people across the world particularly in the poorer countries,,and even then AFAIA the Flu vaccine is only a guess as to which flu strain will predominate in any given year.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Even if YOU think the virus isn't a major concern, you could still be affected by:
- cancelled flights
- towns closed to access
- interesting tourist sites (and museums) closed
- caught up in a quarantine zone for a fortnight.

Add those up and you could have a pretty crappy holiday. And no insurance payout.