Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by pwa »

djnotts wrote:All recreational cycling banned (hefty fines) in Italy and Spain. Reckon UK follow within a week or so.

How would that help? I live in the countryside. When I go out for a ride I don't get within metres of anyone else unless I choose to.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Cyclists have more accidents and thus require medical resources needed for Covid patients. And yes I know all the flaws in such arguments! I assume done on simple accidents per '000 miles travelled.
pwa

Post by pwa »

djnotts wrote:Cyclists have more accidents and thus require medical resources needed for Covid patients. And yes I know all the flaws in such arguments! I assume done on simple accidents per '000 miles travelled.

It was about fifty three years ago that I last needed an ambulance due to a cycling accident. I was six at the time and did something daft on my bike. I would be very reluctant to give up cycling in the countryside due to someone else's misunderstanding of the risk level.
mjr

Post by mjr »

djnotts wrote:Cyclists have more accidents and thus require medical resources needed for Covid patients. And yes I know all the flaws in such arguments! I assume done on simple accidents per '000 miles travelled.

If you know the flaws, don't state it as if fact. Far more hospital capacity is taken up by the victims of private motoring so that must be banned first by any reasonable government.

Also, how is recreational being defined?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

mjr wrote:

If you know the flaws, don't state it as if fact. Far more hospital capacity is taken up by the victims of private motoring so that must be banned first by any reasonable government.

I wasn't stating it as fact, altho as far as I can tell it is being USED as a fact in justification of the bans.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

From "Cyclist" (and there are other sources):

"Considerable restrictions have been put on recreational cycling amid the coronavirus outbreak in Spain and Italy, with reports suggesting all cycling has been prohibited in Spain.

While some conflicting reports have surfaced over whether cycling is permitted with appropriate social distancing, or for purely utility purposes, numerous locals suggest that police are stopping all cyclists in Spain to demand explanations for travel.

Some cyclists are allegedly still being sent home despite making trips to work or shops, according to local reports.

If the journey is not for food or medical supplies, riders could face a €3,000 penalty, according to several sources on social media including podcaster Zwiftcast."

Certainly appears that pro's training camps being stopped on the road.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

mjr wrote:

I'm sure you know that to restrict private motoring would be political suicide, while the majority of the voting populace would be happy to ban all cycling any time.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

djnotts wrote:All recreational cycling banned (hefty fines) in Italy and Spain. Reckon UK follow within a week or so.

I can't see solo cycling being banned here.

Makes no sense from a medical perspective surely?

Also would seem to make no sense to me from a policing and consent point of view.

I also do my shopping by bike.

(and will be out more for that since my last trip to Lidl found shelves bare of anything useful)
Sweep
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Given the lock down of entry to European countries, I think it's safe to say all touring is off for the immediate future.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Here in the north of the Netherlands at least supermarkets are fully stocked. A few days ago when the message came to work from home as much as possible the wine section took a hit for a day but that was it.
My principal concern now is to support local shops. I had just bought a new business suit and suddenly realized that the shop had already bought stock for the Spring and Summer and ran the risk of not being able to sell it. They did send an email to all their customers that they are happy to do business and can come to your home.
pwa

Post by pwa »

willem jongman wrote:Here in the north of the Netherlands at least supermarkets are fully stocked. A few days ago when the message came to work from home as much as possible the wine section took a hit for a day but that was it.
My principal concern now is to support local shops. I had just bought a new business suit and suddenly realized that the shop had already bought stock for the Spring and Summer and ran the risk of not being able to sell it. They did send an email to all their customers that they are happy to do business and can come to your home.

Yes, I think all of us who have a secure income have a moral duty to keep spending, and preferably with local businesses that will be struggling.
mjr

Post by mjr »

eileithyia wrote:Given the lock down of entry to European countries, I think it's safe to say all touring is off for the immediate future.

The entry restrictions to the EU from third countries doesn't apply to the UK during the transition period, but the temporary internal restrictions and border controls between some EU members like Germany and most neighbours will hinder things and probably make touring impractical.

One difficulty is that some of the restrictions have no end date. Summer tours through France aren't definitely impossible yet, but it looks unlikely to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Given the lock down of entry to European countries, I think it's safe to say all touring is off for the immediate future.

The entry restrictions to the EU from third countries doesn't apply to the UK during the transition period, but the temporary internal restrictions and border controls between some EU members like Germany and most neighbours will hinder things and probably make touring impractical.

One difficulty is that some of the restrictions have no end date. Summer tours through France aren't definitely impossible yet, but it looks unlikely to me.

I wonder if campsites will open if restrictions continue into summer. What point in opening if nobody is using (even for the municipal ones).

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Dutch government has asked everyone not to leave the country since our foreign office and embassies are already working flat out to help the current 200000 people who are still abroad to get back with all the current travel restrictions in many countries. The staff and students of the Dutch archaeologoical and (art) historical instite in Rome managed to get out in time, but with great difficulty. So just forget it. It will be hard enough and perhaps impossible to tour in your own country.
Since there are fewer restrictions in Britain than in most other countries people in the UK do not yet seem to realize that it is game over for now, and for quite a while to come. Nobody knows and can know what summer will bring: will the virus disappear, or not?
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

It seems near impossible to us European (and others such as north Americans, Australians, etc.) to live without making plans for the future.
It's a pity because as touring cyclists, we are amongst the most fortunate because our sport/recreation activity is one the best-suited to living a good life without needing to make plans ahead. I find this crisis gives us an opportunity to revert to a simpler life style, being forced to live life as it comes and making decisions on a daily basis and enjoying it if we manage to let go of what we have gradually built into our culture of the "modern (wo)man": control.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau