Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by Jamesh »

229 drs of distinction as well as WHO and majority of other counties who have already had it China, S Korea, Italy etc. They are the experts as much a gov advisors...
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

It's blown my UK trip out of the water. I've cancelled B & B booking for May in Melrose, lost my deposit but fair enough. I've tried to cancel the flights I booked through Expedia with scant success. I Filled in a cancellation form (twice) and haven't heard from them, not even an automated email, The customer service line gives you a message that they are swamped with calls. I paid for the insurance so I hope to get most of my money back.

Best wishes to everybody back home.

Pete
Edit. I've just got a form email from Expedia apologizing for everybody's delay and saying they will get round to me, sometime.
Last edited by PJ520 on 15 Mar 2020, 3:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

thatsnotmyname wrote:Brexit argument = "Don't listen to the experts, we just want brexit"

Corona virus argument = "Don't listen to the experts, we just want isolation"

I think I see a pattern forming...
Wonderful - I wish there was a way of upvoting comments.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
pwa

Post by pwa »

Morzedec wrote:Oi, Ossie, I'm one of the 'old folk' that you speak about in your post - I'm 74 this year but still tour, ride back and forth to our French home (600m each way, camping at night), and I don't have a car in France so have to (from choice) ride everywhere - a 24km round trip to buy a pint of milk.
Old I may be but not infirm; reckon to have a few 0000 more km in my legs before I eventually peg out, and probably ride more km each year than many on this forum - and you as well.
Don't right us off, just because the numbers are high: everything is relative.

Damn cheek.

:lol:

I imagine that the fitter you are, the better your chances. So you start from a good place. All the best with it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The last time we had to seriously think about where we could and couldn't go responsibly was during the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001, and then, as now, we were left uncertain about whether certain choices were okay or not. I have a self-catering accommodation near Brecon booked for May, and my head tells me that it should be okay. I'll give the normal handshake with the proprietor a miss, but otherwise we can keep ourselves to ourselves and just go out for rides. Pub lunches may be a no no.

We are staying near Cradoc, which is well positioned for some excellent if hilly rides. And apart from visiting the odd shop we need not get close to anyone.

Is it worth having a new thread about discovering one's own country this year? Making a virtue out of a necessity?
robing

Post by robing »

It throws my own travel plans in to disarray. I was planning on embarking on a RTW trip leaving end June starting with Europe. I've got a flight package booked from Istanbul but the first flight isn't until end of October. Things may have calmed down by then.

My other problem is my house. I was going to rent it from May while I go away. All this might make it harder to get a tenant, and if I did rent it and then couldn't travel anywhere I would be homeless for 12 months with nowhere to go!
albal1

Post by albal1 »

am currently in Morocco heading to Spain. Not going to happen as all borders with Spain from here are closed. Shame it was all going so well. Will have to fly to UK from here asap I guess. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 22882&v=59
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:Is it worth having a new thread about discovering one's own country this year? Making a virtue out of a necessity?

Why? It's not as if the virus stops at borders. Either you think travel unwise or not. Thinking "UK good, foreign bad" makes no sense.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I expect the Netherlands or at least the southern part of it to be in almost complete lockdown within one or two weeks if not sooner. The same will happen in the UK given your rapidly rising numbers.
I am now off for a quivk ride in tbe country wthout any stops for pubs etc. However I am sure this will also be banned. I know that would not make scientific sense but administratively there will be no alternative.
Police have to enforce this and they will. Yesterday they broke up a big wedding party that tried to ignore the ban on meetings with more than 100 people. This morning an orthodox Calvinist church tried to have a service for many hundreds (the Lord looks after us). No chance.
This is what it will be like. I will try to keep fit on my cheap Decathlon trainer - it really works pretty well. Stay calm and stay healthy.
GeorgeRiches

Post by GeorgeRiches »

There is a problem that people, the press included, confuse "going out" with "going out and meeting people".

i suspect that the authorities are concerned about wasting police resources trying to be heavy handed about enforcing rules which many people don't think make sense.

There is a problem that some people think crowding in queues for toilet rolls, coronavirus tests or almost anything else is going to benefit themselves!
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

willem jongman wrote:This morning an orthodox Calvinist church tried to have a service for many hundreds (the Lord looks after us).

Search on 'Zamora bishop Spanish flu' for an indication of the efficacy of that approach.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Needed bread and a few other basics this morning so headed to local Aldi - queue outside and effectively food rationing inside :? The good news - they had plenty of toilet paper :lol:

Why are 'we' so concerned about this strain of flu when thousands die of flu related illness every year in the UK alone? The elderly and infirm may benefit from 'isolation' but they are often the ones who already live alone and have minimal outside contact. Scaremongering doesn't help these vulnerable people, how many will die from neglect during this 'crisis', forgotten by a greedy society looking after number 1 and s*d you Jack.

This media hyped 'crisis' is not a return of Bubonic Plague - i'd be quite concerned if that were the case, and the reaction of some governments has played into the isolation and nationalists hands. It won't stop cases in New Zealand or reduce cases in Holland or Spain but instead it will bring real hardship to those its designed to protect.

My travel plans this year have already been disrupted and i'm holding off booking any travel even within the UK, my finances are finite and i cannot afford to lose the cost if there are restrictions. Will economies and communities recover from this stupidity - only time will tell but who will pay the laid off staff? who will deliver the foodstuffs?

Hopefully by the summer things will have some semblance of order so travel through the deserted countryside awheel can resume in the sunshine!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

I don't think it's scaremongering to point out that Covid-19 is statistically dangerous in that it's (by the standards of common infectious diseases) relatively transmissible, but also significantly more lethal than a regular flu. While most people will be fine, mortality in vulnerable groups is much higher, and overall the rate of serious complications is such that if the disease isn't contained, it will overwhelm healthcare systems and cause an overall mortality rate of 5-6%. This isn't hypothetical - we've seen this happen during the initial outbreak in Wuhan and in Northern Italy. The public health doctors I know are seriously worried about this, and all agree that anything that can be done to flatten the infection curve is worth doing.
robing

Post by robing »

foxyrider wrote:Needed bread and a few other basics this morning so headed to local Aldi - queue outside and effectively food rationing inside :? The good news - they had plenty of toilet paper :lol:

Why are 'we' so concerned about this strain of flu when thousands die of flu related illness every year in the UK alone? The elderly and infirm may benefit from 'isolation' but they are often the ones who already live alone and have minimal outside contact. Scaremongering doesn't help these vulnerable people, how many will die from neglect during this 'crisis', forgotten by a greedy society looking after number 1 and s*d you Jack.

This media hyped 'crisis' is not a return of Bubonic Plague - i'd be quite concerned if that were the case, and the reaction of some governments has played into the isolation and nationalists hands. It won't stop cases in New Zealand or reduce cases in Holland or Spain but instead it will bring real hardship to those its designed to protect.

My travel plans this year have already been disrupted and i'm holding off booking any travel even within the UK, my finances are finite and i cannot afford to lose the cost if there are restrictions. Will economies and communities recover from this stupidity - only time will tell but who will pay the laid off staff? who will deliver the foodstuffs?

Hopefully by the summer things will have some semblance of order so travel through the deserted countryside awheel can resume in the sunshine!

Spot on,my thoughts entirely.
robing

Post by robing »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Is it worth having a new thread about discovering one's own country this year? Making a virtue out of a necessity?

Why? It's not as if the virus stops at borders. Either you think travel unwise or not. Thinking "UK good, foreign bad" makes no sense.

It's not that. Countries are closing their borders so we may all have to stay put in our own countries if we want to do a tour.