Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mtb tourer

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by Mtb tourer »

Touring at home might be become a problem. Italy banned recreational cycling on the 9th and its just been banned here in Spain today.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Is it worth having a new thread about discovering one's own country this year? Making a virtue out of a necessity?

Why? It's not as if the virus stops at borders. Either you think travel unwise or not. Thinking "UK good, foreign bad" makes no sense.

My own thinking on this at the moment is that cycle touring that is straight from one's front door, with no planes or trains or ships, could be pretty safe. The main hurdle would be shops, but you'd have that if you stayed at home.

But crossing the Channel involves a ship and possibly a train, and quite a bit of close proximity to others. And will borders remain open?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I notice in a couple of posts reference to UK numbers with coronavirus.
It appears that only those reporting symptoms are being tested.
That leaves an unknown number with possibly mild or negligible symptoms and those who may be very ill but do not wish to identify themselves ( e.g illegal immigrants.)
I don't know about other countries but unless we have a standard protocol there isn't a reasonable comparison between the UK and others.
pwa

Post by pwa »

ANTONISH wrote:I notice in a couple of posts reference to UK numbers with coronavirus.
That leaves an unknown number with possibly mild or negligible symptoms and those who may be very ill but do not wish to identify themselves ( e.g illegal immigrants.)
I don't know about other countries but unless we have a standard protocol there isn't a reasonable comparison between the UK and others.

Even from the very start, when cases were just in China, I have felt that "reported cases" and "actual cases" are two different numbers, and that we don't really know what proportion of cases remain unreported. So I take all those figures with a dose of salt.
robing

Post by robing »

Spain has banned all leisure cycling with immediate effect. What would happen if you were in the middle of a tour? If you had to abandon it and get public transport you'd be more at risk .

https://www.iberobike.com/estado-de-ala ... a-gracias/
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Here in the Netherlands only those are tested who have serious symptoms, so the actual number of people infected is much higher. To get a decent estimate our public health authority also tests samples from people without symptoms. The best current estimate seems to be 6000 people infected in the entire country. Today, schools, restaurants, pubs and sport clubs have been told to close. Forget about touring - buy a home trainer instead. I am quite happy with my cheap and cheerful BTwin Inride 100 from Decathlon.
Last edited by willem jongman on 15 Mar 2020, 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Leisure cycling, necessary cycling: Brittany Ferries have now cancelled all crossings to France until April, so I can't get home.

The UK Government has suggested that those over the age of 70 ought to stay in and 'self-isolate' - but I'm almost out of gin, so what ought I to do?

My very elderly neighbour is overweight, unfit and infirm, and more or less relies on me for her shopping (and gin) - so what ought I to do?

The Manager of one of our businesses is due a short holiday next week (in the UK), and I was supposed to 'stand in' for him (the staff just love the idea) but because I'm over 70 I'm now not allowed out - so what ought I to do?

I guess it will be the same as always: quote Jowett, and, 'Just Get it Done, and Let them Howl'

Sprockets to the Government, is what I say.

Happy days,
Attachments
Lunch in a supermarket forecourt - just resting ... 16th August 2013_000.JPG
Lunch at Montertalot June 2017.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mtb tourer wrote:Touring at home might be become a problem. Italy banned recreational cycling on the 9th and its just been banned here in Spain today.

Are you allowed to go food shopping by bike? Any minimum purchase or maximum distance?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

robing wrote:
mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Is it worth having a new thread about discovering one's own country this year? Making a virtue out of a necessity?

Why? It's not as if the virus stops at borders. Either you think travel unwise or not. Thinking "UK good, foreign bad" makes no sense.

It's not that. Countries are closing their borders so we may all have to stay put in our own countries if we want to do a tour.

This seems exceptionally foolish in some ways, but I suspect it's more that countries don't want to risk having tourists overwhelming their hospitals in the short term.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mtb tourer wrote:Touring at home might be become a problem. Italy banned recreational cycling on the 9th and its just been banned here in Spain today.

Madness.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote:I notice in a couple of posts reference to UK numbers with coronavirus.

My understanding us that the majority of those reporting symptoms won't be tested, just told to sit it out self isolating if they are not seen as high risk.
I thought they had said that they were only testing folks in hospitals.
Folk feel free to contradict me.
Sweep
robing

Post by robing »

Borders rapidly closing. Spain Portugal border now closed until at least easter.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I was due to go to Fuerteventura 1st week of May, apparently one person has it there, I guess they want to keep it that way, bugger!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

robing wrote:Borders rapidly closing. Spain Portugal border now closed until at least easter.

Yes, and looking ahead as the situation eventually improves each country will relax it's own rules at different speeds.

So a tour across Europe would still be hard to plan.
But then I recall one of my Motos:
We are not descended from fearful men.
Where there is a will.......
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Where there is a will.......

Indeed there is. I live on a circular road about a quarter of a mile long, and if I'm confined to barracks for the summer, I'm thinking this year's tour might be 5000 laps of our street. And there's a secluded field adjacent to the back garden where I could pitch my tent…