Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Postby nirakaro » 10 Mar 2020, 5:11pm

Well … if I had to be stuck for a while a long way from home, I'd settle happily for the historic heart of Syracuse.

willswitchengage

Postby willswitchengage » 10 Mar 2020, 5:51pm

Just had a message from a prospective WS host in Israel that the country has put mandatory quarantine restrictions on anybody - national or foreigner - entering the country. So that's my Spring tour stuffed then.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 10 Mar 2020, 6:11pm

In Israel all tourists have just been ordered to leave the country.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 10 Mar 2020, 6:16pm

I have a work trip planned for Split in mid April but I do not expect this to happen (what is a conference on Roman Archaeology without the Italians?). Around the same time we have a family vacation planned for the UK for old times' sake staying in college accommodation in Cambridge - not likely either by that time. I was planning a three week cycling tour in France in May. Again, not very likely. The most fitting alternative seems to be to read the Decameron.

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 11 Mar 2020, 10:00pm

Our tour late April in the Netherlands is looking less and less likely. :(

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 12 Mar 2020, 5:21am

Being in the middle of this, I would say any travel plans should be delayed until June. They're predicting a peak by April, but closed borders will probably continue beyond that.
I guess this is an opportunity to re-explore one's own country
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike

millimole

Postby millimole » 12 Mar 2020, 7:31am

We've got a self-organised Interrail trip arranged for mid May into early June through Germany through Chekia into Hungary and Austria.
Most hotels are booked, some on a non-refundable basis, and a few train seat reservations are booked and paid for.

Unravelling it is going to be more of a nightmare than booking it was!

I imagine our travel insurance will pick up most of the losses, but it's dependent on the travel advice of the various countries and rail operators involved, and the insurer's attitude to our trip.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 12 Mar 2020, 8:16am

willem jongman wrote:I have a work trip planned for Split in mid April but I do not expect this to happen (what is a conference on Roman Archaeology without the Italians?). n.

Probably not. I was booked, non professionally, to go to a "classics" thing at kings college, london.
Got this the other day:
You have booked to attend Rumble Fund Lecture in Classical Art 2020: A Greek Lady from Persepolis: A statue of Penelope and her Roman sisters.

Regrettably this event has been cancelled due to the main speaker unable to travel from Italy.

@@@
Assume their grammar is classical.
Sweep

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Mar 2020, 9:35am

MarcusT wrote:Being in the middle of this, I would say any travel plans should be delayed until June. They're predicting a peak by April, but closed borders will probably continue beyond that.
I guess this is an opportunity to re-explore one's own country

That happens to be what I was planning to do this year anyway. B&Bs, self catering and camp sites booked for breaks in May and July/August. No trains or planes required. And this is a chance to put money in the pockets of small UK businesses.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 13 Mar 2020, 10:00am

The Dutch government has just cancelled all university teaching and examinations, banned all meetings above 100 people, cancelled both large sports events and amateur sports, and asked everyone in the country to work from home as much as possible. My university has also imposed a travel ban. In short, the only thing left is day rides into the country, taking one's own sandwiches and some hot drink (I don't want to be in pubs etc). And that is what I did yesterday, enjoying it rather a lot.

willp01908

Postby willp01908 » 13 Mar 2020, 10:24am

We were planning a year out in Europe, leaving in a few weeks. Original plan was to go France - Spain - up through the Alps - Germany - Scandinavia Nordkapp and back to the UK.

We`re now going to spend the first couple of (hopefully not too much longer...) doing a circularish tour of the UK then hopefully heading up to Scandinavia via Scotland towards midsummer. Then follow the autumn down to southern Europe. Basically doing the tour in reverse.

This will be contingent on potential travel restrictions being rescinded by then.

We`ll not lose out through cancellations of bookings etc. but we`ve both given up our jobs to make this trip...

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 13 Mar 2020, 1:08pm

Depending on summer contracts, I had been hoping to take a month out to inter rail around Europe too, for the last time. I have a sneaking suspicion that interrail group will remove the UK from the participants list from next year, not because of brexit, but because our national rail organisation, the Rail Delivery Group previously known as ATOC, had a squabble last year with the interail organisation and left, before changing it's mind at the last moment. It is unlikely that corona virus will disappear by june, though to avoid global melt down presumably most travel restrictions will be lifted.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Mar 2020, 2:10pm

willem jongman wrote:The Dutch government has just cancelled all university teaching and examinations, banned all meetings above 100 people, cancelled both large sports events and amateur sports, and asked everyone in the country to work from home as much as possible. [...]

Please keep us informed as things change. I've a tour booked and half paid that crosses the Netherlands in a few months.

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Depending on summer contracts, I had been hoping to take a month out to inter rail around Europe too, for the last time. [...] It is unlikely that corona virus will disappear by june, though to avoid global melt down presumably most travel restrictions will be lifted.

Here's hoping, because I bought my timed interrail pass in the sale months ago and I don't know how they'll handle this if travel bans block only our intended route, or all travel from the UK.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 13 Mar 2020, 2:16pm

Things are likely to be different in a few months, or at least that is what we all hope. In the meantime it will certainly get rather worse, but the same also applies to the UK. You are a little bit behind us, but only just a little bit.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 13 Mar 2020, 6:35pm

though even if the actual non essential travel restrictions are lifted, trains might be cancelled due to sickness. On previous expeditions, the only tickets I pre booked were the Eurostar. I've had travel plans scuppered by SNCF axing the first open train of the day leading to missed connections later on. Such is life, the conditions of booking make prebooked trains seem a little lottery, if they cancel it, you have to suck it up. The dearth of open trains in Spain is worse, maybe I should stick to Germany. ifs and buts.