Ancient lanes and old main roads

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
drossall

Re: Ancient lanes and old main roads

Post by drossall »

There are a couple of really good picture books tracing the old line(s) of the A1. Have they been mentioned? I've lost track (sorry, pun unintended).
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

The B5061 between Telford and Shrewsbury is what the A5 was before the built the new dual carriageway A5 and although still in use, it's a very quiet B road.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

drossall wrote:There are a couple of really good picture books tracing the old line(s) of the A1. Have they been mentioned? I've lost track (sorry, pun unintended).

My job when I first started at MAFF (now DEFRA) was to check the farmers claims against the maps to ensure they were claiming the correct field numbers and areas (this was before everything was computerised). So we had the whole of the 5 counties of the East Midlands in paper maps at 1:2500 scale. Some of these maps dated back to the 1950’s. In north Notts, some showed the new A1 and some didn’t, so you identify when particular sections of the new road were built from the dates of the maps.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

drossall wrote:There are a couple of really good picture books tracing the old line(s) of the A1. Have they been mentioned? I've lost track (sorry, pun unintended).

This is one I really rate on the old A1,

https://g.co/kgs/XTBdd4

Lots of great nostalgia with plenty of pictures of the road as it was in the fifties and sixties compared to how it is today.

Would be good to see more like this for the other old trunk roads of yesteryear, like the old A6.

Cheers,

Keith
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, that is a good one.