Loch Laggan and Ardverikie--Monarch of the Glen

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Rod Goodfellow

Loch Laggan and Ardverikie--Monarch of the Glen

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

During the lockdown I have been watching old episodes of Monarch of the Glen mainly for the scenic views. I am now considering a short Scottish break when possible and would like info on whether it is feasible to do a complete circuit of Loch Laggan on a road touring bike.I have the option of 28 or 35 mm tyres. Note, I am over 80 and due to hip problems think I would not be able to climb over deer fences or gates.
Navrig

Re: Loch Laggan and Ardverikie--Monarch of the Glen

Post by Navrig »

The minor roads are probably estate roads and hence private.

Under Scots Law you have the right to roam as long as you are not infringing personal space.

So in theory you ought to be able to use the roads. In practice they could have gates at several locations.

Google Maps doesn't help.

Loch Laggan is hydro for the smelter so no right of access.

Personally I'd risk it on the basis that if you are stopped part way round then there is little point in being turned back.

It is a working and a holiday estate so you could contact them. They will be used to visitors and that suggests the roads will be open.

Adverikie.com
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

Thank you.I was aware of all that,but was hoping to get info from anyone with personal experience of doing/attempting the circuit.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I went along the south side of the loch from 3 km west of Luiblea to just past Ardverikie last year, having come from Ossian (then turned right for Loch Pattack). Disc Trucker, 35 mm tyres.

No obstructions beyond having to open a gate. 28 mm tyres would be OK, but 35 mm at a lower pressure would be more comfortable and faster.
After Ardverikie, at least the first part of the track had been tarmaced.
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

Thanks.That is the sort of helpful info I was hoping for.