When will you tour again in the uk?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
roberts8

Re: When will you tour again in the uk?

Post by roberts8 »

Looking at the deaths per million population is interesting as Belgium is the worst and uk is fifth so Germany looks good.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

nsew wrote:
simonhill wrote:They say that an antigen test is unlikely to be reliable if even possible. They further say that having it once will probably not give immunity to getting it again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52335210

Regarding the first sentence - no they didn’t.
Regarding the second sentence - no they didn’t.

UK testing co-ordinator said
"We are breaking new ground with this work every day and I am confident this major research effort will make a breakthrough," he said of efforts to develop a valid serology test, which measures levels of antibodies in blood plasma.

WHO rep said
“Right now, we have no evidence that the use of a serological test can show that an individual has immunity or is protected from reinfection."

Yes, I apologise for this.

My post was originally based on short reports on BBC R4 news on The Today Program at 7 and 8 o clock. I later came across the BBC written item and edited it in to my post without fully checking the content. I agree that it is at variance from the original R4 news item that I reported. A lesson in how fast things move and change.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Following on the immunity theme.
If having Covid-19 does not confer immunity then that would knock any vaccine on the head.
Principle being that you stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies.
So I really hope that an infection (real or simulated) will confer immunity at least for a while.

Also, not touring until there is more than social distancing to protect me.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'm not 100% sure that no post-infection immunity would automatically mean no vaccine; vaccines can work in various ways. Comparison with other coronaviruses eg common cold indicates limited immunity after infection; but we just don't know for sure yet. However, we haven't managed to make a vaccine for any other coronavirus yet and if we do, it's at least two years away. Probably not even North Korea could manage to enforce social distancing / lockdown / shelter in place for that long. Which doesn't mean touring will necessarily be wise (or even allowed).

We'll see, I hope.
PH

Post by PH »

I was meant to set off next weekend for five weeks in Scotland, if I can manage the same this time next year I'll consider that a good result. If possible I'll try and go even if I can't manage the full five weeks.
It's a long time between now and normality, I'm not making any plans, though I have plenty of ambitions. One thing sitting around has done, is both make me keener than ever to get out touring and also it's given me time to add to places I want to go, the West coast of Ireland and the Baltic countries are now on an already long list.
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Tricky one. I was all set for a week in Scotland, then lockdown happened. I changed my holiday at work...but that date came and went. I've settled on last week at the end of May. So if we are still in full lockdown then.... blame me!
The upside of lockdown is that I have had to think creatively. I'm hoping for a no-human-contact couple of days in a bivvy bag somewhere pretty. Ideally not too far from home. Thankfully I live in County Durham, so Northumberland, Durham Dales and Yorkshire are all possibilities. I've been gazing at maps working out where I can do a 'tour' within a limited radius. It makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK for lovely scenery.

Edit: I've just been reading through some of the early posts in this thread...in particular the troll/insensitive one about Covid's main victims.
I've spent the last month looking after people in ITU with Covid 19. These are the patients who stand a fighting chance of beating a severe case of infection. Many more elderly and frail patients don't even make it into ITU, as they may not benefit from invasive treatment.
Believe me, most of the people I have met are men under 60, some much younger. They are also usually fit and healthy. Watching a patient's series of chest x-rays as the illness progresses isn't pleasant. I reckon some of these patients, if they recover, will be left with chronic lung problems. Nobody wants this...never mind a cyclist. So media scaremongering aside, this isn't just another flu and should be taken seriously. The world will still be there for exploring once the heat has died down. Stay safe folks.