When will you tour again in the uk?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
James Up Hill

Re: When will you tour again in the uk?

Post by James Up Hill »

PH wrote:
James Up Hill wrote:What is interesting is that the average incubation period is seven days, and the average period from first symptoms to death is fourteen. That makes a total of twenty-one. And the death rate started to drop off on Saturday, which is *less* than three weeks since lockdown.

I found you post full of misinformed nonsense but I'm sick of refuting such posts. But the above timescale is wrong, it's four weeks and we've yet to see if the restrictions have had the intended effect.

I don't know where you're finding your information, perhaps you would share, but if indeed it is four weeks for incubation-to-death then we are in a far better position than I suggested, as it means that the incidence of people catching a fatal dose was dropping more than a week before we entered 'lockdown'.

My source for incubation period is from travellers from Wuhan https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... on-period/ which admittedly is a few minutes closer to six days than to seven; and first symptom to death is 14 days is here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... rate/#days.

You might get stoned out of a pub if (1) you could find an open one, and (2) there were enough people gathered there against the regulations to stone you! It doesn't alter the fact that cycle touring is a form of exercise and therefore not prohibited by the regulations. A bunch of locals sitting in a pub *is* prohibited.

And finally this all misses the point that those of us who are fit all need to be exposed to the disease. Locked-down rural communities are going to be a source of infection for months to come when the big cities are long over it.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Back to the original topic, I was originally planning on doing a long weekend with my 9 year old over the May Spring bank holiday on the 25th camping along the Devon C2C or the Kennet and Avon (though she's leaning towards the C2C as she knows the camp sites and likes them). If the restrictions are reduced by then to allow this I'm not sure we will do it still.

I'd really like to do the LLC at the start of July but again it's going to be based on the current restrictions in place.
ossie

Post by ossie »

James Up Hill wrote:
To un-drift there is nothing in the Regulations that prevents touring currently. It is exercise. Exercise is permitted. Staying in hotels is not, so you would have to wild camp. I am seriously contemplating my first ever tour shortly if the weather stays nice and I get the kit together and I can be bothered.

Numerous things spring to mind here the first being that you must be on a wind up. We can debate the terms of the legislation ie reasonable excuse and exercise until the cows come home but if you honestly think popping out on a first ever tour and wild camping in the process will somehow wing it for you then you're living in dream land.

Somehow I'd like to think that the vast majority of touring cyclists have a degree of collective responsibility. Well we do actually, as demonstrated in most of the posts on this thread, on this and other touring forums.

If I was you I'd go away and find another new hobby until this blows over or the restrictions are at least relaxed to the point you can actually enjoy yourself and not put yourself or others at risk.
Ron

Post by Ron »

James Up Hill wrote: It doesn't alter the fact that cycle touring is a form of exercise and therefore not prohibited by the regulations.

You have an astonishing ability to close your ears and eyes to all advice and information which you will not wish to comply with.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It's becomes a bit like saying: I want to tour in Cornwall. The law does not specified say I can't camp in Cornwall so I will go there.

You shake your head in disbelief sometimes.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sweep wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:A friend told me today that his daughter, a second home owner from London walked into a pub in Devon where she has a holiday home and was told to F off in no uncertain terms by the locals. Thats probably the reception a cycle tourist will be getting.

Al

The pub was open?

Must have been just before the lockdown I think, he didnt say.

It beggars belief that <SNIP> posting . . .. here. I am told its baiting and to ignore it < SNIP >.

Al
Last edited by Graham on 14 Apr 2020, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the t-word = work for mods. Please don't.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
James Up Hill

Post by James Up Hill »

All I'm doing is reading the regulations which are nothing like as severe as people seem to think. Here they are: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

For instance, you are permitted to go to work if you cannot work from home - and assuming that your work is not one of the workplaces that have specifically been shut (restaurants, hairdressers, auction houses etc.). Most people who are paid 30k or less would far rather sit at home and claim benefits amounting to 80% of their income than go out to work. I'm still paying my cleaner, despite the fact that she hasn't turned up for weeks, and she is complaining that most of her clients aren't paying her (surprise) and that she's no money (surprise). All she has to do is to go to work. The Government never intended her to stop working, the 'stay home' message has been misinterpreted.

By the time I'm fit enough to get somewhere worth getting to and have enough kit restrictions will be eased to the point that you think I'll be allowed to go somewhere, I'm sure it won't be long! Without the restrictions I'd never have got on a bike.
pwa

Post by pwa »

James Up Hill wrote:All I'm doing is reading the regulations which are nothing like as severe as people seem to think. Here they are: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

For instance, you are permitted to go to work if you cannot work from home - and assuming that your work is not one of the workplaces that have specifically been shut (restaurants, hairdressers, auction houses etc.). Most people who are paid 30k or less would far rather sit at home and claim benefits amounting to 80% of their income than go out to work. I'm still paying my cleaner, despite the fact that she hasn't turned up for weeks, and she is complaining that most of her clients aren't paying her (surprise) and that she's no money (surprise). All she has to do is to go to work. The Government never intended her to stop working, the 'stay home' message has been misinterpreted.

By the time I'm fit enough to get somewhere worth getting to and have enough kit restrictions will be eased to the point that you think I'll be allowed to go somewhere, I'm sure it won't be long! Without the restrictions I'd never have got on a bike.

If you are seen putting a tent up you will be deemed to be outside doing an activity not allowed, and camping will not be seen as "exercise". People are already being moved on when they lie down to sunbathe. Camping will be dealt with the same way.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

James Up Hill wrote:All I'm doing is reading the regulations which are nothing like as severe as people seem to think. Here they are: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

Maybe you’ve not seen the video clip, circulating a few days ago, of the lad from Hull wild camping in Wales. :D
Not a welcome reception.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote:If you are seen putting a tent up you will be deemed to be outside doing an activity not allowed, and camping will not be seen as "exercise". People are already being moved on when they lie down to sunbathe. Camping will be dealt with the same way.

Have to say the backpackers I saw yesterday didn't seem to have any problem (NB. They were on a high profile part of the coast, AONB). Nor did I when sunbathing for 2-3 hours on Saturday. In reality it cames down to enforcement and if you have several police officers to cover an area some 50 miles by 40, there's little chance of enforcement happening

Nor is there any real need. I've been thinking about having a few days over in the hills and it'd be a surprise if I came across 1-2 people whilst off on a 80-100 mile walk. There aren't any arable fields on the route I'd take and obviously forestry planting has long finshed until autumn. And in fact, with the sheep all having been brought down for lambing, even the hill farmers won't be about .

The only dangerous areas to avoid are the supermarkets (NB. There was one cashier on duty and one other person queuing when I was shopping on Saturday. All these crowds of people, it could become dangerous :wink: )
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Can people PLEASE not ignore the requirements of the lockdown, on the basis that they won't do any harm. People did this in France, and the next stage was to make it illegal for anyone to go more than 1km from home! We do not want that to happen here. Currently we are allowed to go out for a modest bike ride, or a run, for exercise. If people take the micturate and go out sunbathing, or cycletouring regulations will be tightened and we will all be confined to home (as happened in Italy and Spain).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gbnz wrote:If and obviously forestry planting has long finshed until autumn. And in fact, with the sheep all having been brought down for lambing, even the hill farmers won't be about .
[/quote]

Obviously it was a mirage I had on Friday as the planting guys opened the gate for me.
Don’t know where you are but around here many dont have in-bye and lamb on the hill. I always did.

E2E info
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

<snip>

Interesting in that there doesn't seem to be a time limit on the duration of the exercise.
I assume that this is to allow, for example, serious (?) cyclists who cycle 100 miles + just as a warm up and can cycle 200 miles or more in a day if they put their back (or legs) into it to continue their exercise regime.

The question is, I think, how binding are the various guidance notes issued by the Government and other official sources.
Some are patently ridiculous, but others seem quite sensible.

I think the general feeling is that a multi-day ride is certainly against the spirit of the lock down, is generally irresponsible, and may well be illegal subject to more detailed study.
It certainly goes against "6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse." and I suspect that, given the imprecise wording, final interpretation may be left to a Magistrate, who may not be overly sympathetic.

To travel any distance is certainly anti-social however entitled you think that you may be, or however much you think that you can avoid all contact with other people.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Paulatic wrote:
gbnz wrote:If and obviously forestry planting has long finshed until autumn. And in fact, with the sheep all having been brought down for lambing, even the hill farmers won't be about .

Obviously it was a mirage I had on Friday as the planting guys opened the gate for me.
Don’t know where you are but around here many dont have in-bye and lamb on the hill. I always did.[/quote]

Hmm, interesting. What bare root species/whips were they planting in mid April? Can't say I'd want to meet the mortality costs of a mid April planting (NB. Personally I'd want stuff in the ground by mid-february, end-february at the outside)

And in respect to lambing there may a few sheep lost on the hills, but the fields are now jam packed locally
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gbnz wrote:[
Hmm, interesting. What bare root species/whips were they planting in mid April? Can't say I'd want to meet the mortality costs of a mid April planting (NB. Personally I'd want stuff in the ground by mid-february, end-february at the outside)

And in respect to lambing there may a few sheep lost on the hills, but the fields are now jam packed locally

I didn’t get off and have a look but I’d guess they were Sitka Spruce. There’s still more black bags full laid under trees awaiting planting. I’ve seen them at it as late as May in a difficult year. This won’t have been one of them and the douping machine left at the weekend.

E2E info