Travel to Northern France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pq

Re: Travel to Northern France

Post by pq »

I live in France and travel a lot by train with my bike - and I've never had to dismantle or bag it. The issue here is that the SNCF will always direct you to a TGV while making it difficult to find bike friendly alternatives. However the alternatives pretty much always exist, it's just a case of finding them. The DB web site allows you to search for bike friendly services (there's a box you can tick in the search function). I tend to use thetrainline.com becasue it gives you various options for your journey - and I mostly know by looking at the detail which ones will work for my bike. There's also info about bikes on trains on maninseat61 and freewheelinginfrance. Finally staff are usually very helpful and knowledgeable, but I'm not sure how widely English is spoken (I'm a French speaker so it's not relevant to me) It seems a pity not to use French trains becasue of a lack of information.
One link to your website is enough. G
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've never taken a bike on a train here but plan a short hop up the coast using the train. I've enquired about taking bikes in the ticket office and been told we don't need to book, there should be spaces if travelling outside the busy morning and evening times.
We plan to do this is Sept when it's much quieter, providing of course we aren't in full lock down. :(
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pq wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:10am I live in France and travel a lot by train with my bike - and I've never had to dismantle or bag it. The issue here is that the SNCF will always direct you to a TGV while making it difficult to find bike friendly alternatives. However the alternatives pretty much always exist, it's just a case of finding them. The DB web site allows you to search for bike friendly services (there's a box you can tick in the search function). I tend to use thetrainline.com becasue it gives you various options for your journey - and I mostly know by looking at the detail which ones will work for my bike. There's also info about bikes on trains on maninseat61 and freewheelinginfrance. Finally staff are usually very helpful and knowledgeable, but I'm not sure how widely English is spoken (I'm a French speaker so it's not relevant to me) It seems a pity not to use French trains becasue of a lack of information.
The last long distance rail trip I took in France was from Calais to Narbonne via Lille and Nimes.
Calais to Lille by TGV ( I could have taken the slower ter but it was early in the morning and obviously people travelling to work)
TGV Lille to Nimes. ter Nimes to Narbonne.
That was the most practical route I could find - I know there are some TGV services transporting assembled bikes but I couldn't find anything to fit my schedule - hence a partly disassembled bike in bike bag.
I'm OK with French websites and conversing with train staff (I don't claim fluency)
SNCF used to have an office in London and I went there once to book (basically Calais to Hendaye and then Perpignan to Calais using night trains ( which I believe no longer run)
Even sitting with someone who knew the system it was quite difficult to get a train to Calais from Paris with an assembled bike (ended up going TGV to Lille (limited spaces) and Lille to Calais ter.
I'm sure there must be a ter service from Paris to Calais but I think there is a problem routing through Amiens ( I think that part is intercity)
beeb

Post by beeb »

has anyone any experience of hendaye or even bordeaux to Paris with fully laden touring bikes?

seems to be possible, just wondering how practical for two ageing cycle tourists, can you request assistance?

we would have two front bags, two back bags and a stuff sack and bar bag

someone on this forum mentioned that they use a big ikea bag to reduce parts of luggage, which seemed like a good idea

regards
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

beeb wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:18am someone on this forum mentioned that they use a big ikea bag to reduce parts of luggage, which seemed like a good idea

regards
I use an Ikea bag, they do a slightly smaller one with a zip top and shoulder straps that costs about £3.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/frakta-tru ... -90149148/
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

beeb wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:18am has anyone any experience of hendaye or even bordeaux to Paris with fully laden touring bikes?

seems to be possible, just wondering how practical for two ageing cycle tourists, can you request assistance?

someone on this forum mentioned that they use a big ikea bag to reduce parts of luggage, which seemed like a good idea

regards
I came back from Biarritz (changing at Bordeaux) in 2019. If I recall correctyl, the bikes just stood on the floor in both trains (high-speed services).
I had some luggage (sleeping gear, no tent/stove etc), and I'm semi-young, semi-healthy.

Your only problem might be climbing up INTO the train. This tends to be higher than on UK services. You would be very unlucky not to meet someone helpful nearby, but it's something worth thinking about.

Things can change since 2019, of course ...
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

beeb wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:18am has anyone any experience of hendaye or even bordeaux to Paris with fully laden touring bikes?

regards
I caught a train to Paris from Hendaye in March 19 with a fully loaded touring bike. I paid a 10 euro supplement and the bike travelled alongside me in the same carriage. I don't recall any issues with getting the loaded bike onto the train.

However, I read somewhere, (may have been on this forum), that this bike travel option from Hendaye was due to end. Perhaps someone else has more information, or can elaborate?
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
ossie

Post by ossie »

I did Angers / St Malo via Nantes by train. The TO were brilliant, printed everything out but I was meant to be on the local services.

At Nantes the staff on the platform gave me the nod to get on an earlier TGV to St Malo and showed me to the carriage concerned, actually helped me on. It was quiet and late at night, however as soon as I was on the ticket collector rushed down the carriage demanded my ticket. I looked confused, waved some Euros (which he ignored). He then smiled and let me go.

I wouldn't try and wing it at a busy time mind but I was kind of encouraged by platform staff and I guess in the big scheme of things it was a short journey.

P1050260.JPG
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

b1ke wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 2:08pm However, I read somewhere, (may have been on this forum), that this bike travel option from Hendaye was due to end. Perhaps someone else has more information, or can elaborate?
Just done a bit of research and seems the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux, at least, now takes bikes again. I presume the same must apply to Hendaye....

"The Paris Montparnasse-Bordeaux TGVs now take bikes again after a brief period in 2020 when they did not. Book your TGV tickets and your bike in advance. Once there, all local TERs and most Intercites trains also take bikes."

https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/plan ... ins.html
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
mjr

Post by mjr »

b1ke wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:35pm Just done a bit of research and seems the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux, at least, now takes bikes again. I presume the same must apply to Hendaye...
If not, change in Bordeaux to a ter but it is slower although more due to extra stops than train speed because the TGV is on classic rails beyond there I think.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I've done the journey in reverse - Montparnasse to Bordeaux via TGV. It was a few years ago now, but the hardest part of the entire journey was getting the bikes up one level from the ground floor to the platforms at Montparnasse station. The lift we found was tiny. In the end we removed the panniers from our fully-laden touring bikes and took the stairs, alternating between leaving bikes and luggage unattended. I suspect there is a step-free route, but it wasn't obvious so I'd recommend doing some research beforehand.

Otherwise there's a step up between platform and train but there ought to be enough time for you to do this in two goes - panniers first then follow up with the bikes afterwards.

The bike carriage was exactly as in ossie's photo - next to the fold-up seats with some velcro to secure the bikes. No need to disassemble anything.