Coast to Coast - East to West

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
seangrobler2

Coast to Coast - East to West

Post by seangrobler2 »

Hi guys, this is my first ever forum post so forgive me if it is in the wrong section.

I'm thinking of cycling the furthest South Eastern point in England (Ramsgate, which is conveniently 20 minutes from me) to the furthest South Western point, Lands End.

I will have pannier bags and some camping gear, aiming to guerrilla/wild camp where possible or use campsites/cheap hostels. The problem is, I have never cycled more than 25 miles before on my sh*tty £100 bike :lol: I really am an amateur cyclist. Don't worry, I will be upgrading the bike. Fitness isn't an issue (I'm a big runner) and nor is living it rough as I have expierence in that. The issue for me is, I have *no* idea on how to plan a route. I've tried online route planners but they seem to go via London which doesn't appeal to me at all. I want this to be scenic, chilled, and done on no time scale (I've recently graduated so have all the free time in the world). Are there any well-known scenic cycle routes that follow this that I can piece together? if I know the rough route I can tweak to accommodate my fitness + campsite needs)

Thanks so much and apologies for the nooby question
Sean
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Coast to Coast - East to West

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Sounds like a great adventure. (If you get a better bike!)

From the point of view of someone who runs one of those online route-planners (cycle.travel)... if you play around with dragging the route a bit, you should be able to find an enjoyable route that avoids London. A little bit of experimentation, and cycle.travel seems to favour two rough corridors. One is 'inland' via East Grinstead and Salisbury; the other heads down to the coast at Rye, and follows it to Southampton before tucking slightly more inland. Either of these should be easy to recreate by dragging the route, but do say if you need help.

A third alternative is to follow National Cycle Network route 2, which mostly clings to the south coast. NCN routes aren't always 100% finished, but this one is mostly there from Dover to Exeter (and a short way beyond to Dawlish). From there it's fragmentary to St Austell, where you can pick up NCN 3 to Land's End. Bear in mind that Devon and Cornwall are going to be hilly whichever way you go!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

seangrobler2 wrote:Hi guys, this is my first ever forum post so forgive me if it is in the wrong section.

I'm thinking of cycling the furthest South Eastern point in England (Ramsgate, which is conveniently 20 minutes from me) to the furthest South Western point, Lands End.

I will have pannier bags and some camping gear, aiming to guerrilla/wild camp where possible or use campsites/cheap hostels. The problem is, I have never cycled more than 25 miles before on my sh*tty £100 bike :lol: I really am an amateur cyclist. Don't worry, I will be upgrading the bike. Fitness isn't an issue (I'm a big runner) and nor is living it rough as I have expierence in that. The issue for me is, I have *no* idea on how to plan a route. I've tried online route planners but they seem to go via London which doesn't appeal to me at all. I want this to be scenic, chilled, and done on no time scale (I've recently graduated so have all the free time in the world). Are there any well-known scenic cycle routes that follow this that I can piece together? if I know the rough route I can tweak to accommodate my fitness + campsite needs)

Thanks so much and apologies for the nooby question
Sean

Apologies, I don't wish to sound too dismissive but your best approach is to simply set off (NB. Having ensured you have sufficient funds for food etc doing your time "out"). If you're not paying rent, a mortgage, have no employment or personnal commitments, ensure your cheap bike is in working order and go and do it. In terms of route planning I'd buy a £0.99 road atlas and ensure my daily route is via"sights" I'd wish to see (NB. I'm not remotely thinking of such a journey, but at a personal level I'd want to have a run through Salisbury, Winchester? and coastla (& possibly upland areas) further SW.

It's difficult if you've never done it. But as long as you've a working bike and cash, forget about the route and detail :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I rode from Yorkshire to the French Alps in the style you propose.
I drew a line on a Michelin map of the whole of France from Boulogne to Chamonix and more or less followed it. When I had done my hundred miles I looked out for my camping sauvage. I am sure your experience will serve you. Once or twice I used a formal camp site, for a shower etc. At French prices I could afford a bottle of wine daily, but I lived on vegetrable stew with lentils and porridge.
I have followed a similar wild camping method in England too.
Get a map, follow the white roads and just begin pedalling. For me it would be a mistake to plan.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
whoof

Post by whoof »

As above Cycletravel is very good and free. You could also try Komoot, one section free, can buy others for about £3-4 or you can get the whole world for £25.
If you want to avoid London then instead of putting in just your final start and end points just do days in sections. Once you have up loaded your route it will give directions offline using your phone.

https://road.cc/content/review/258817-komoot-app

If you want to cross reference an online planned route with an OS map, which are very good for looking at contours and seeing the bigger picture then once the current situation is over if you have a reasonable sized library near you many have a good selection of 1:50000 maps.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mike Sales wrote: At French prices I could afford a bottle of wine daily, but I lived on vegetrable stew with lentils and porridge.

Thanks for my morning chuckle.
Someone with his priorities right.
Gruel and a bottle of red - diet of champions.
Ride on.
Last edited by Sweep on 2 May 2020, 8:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Welcome to the forum sean - you will find lots of help on here.
If you are looking for a quick and dirty digital straightline guide for your route to meander around, you might find this handy.
https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm
Always substantially further to pedal of course, not least because on this trip I don't suppose you will be crossing open water.
Sweep
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Mike Sales wrote:Get a map, follow the white roads and just begin pedalling. For me it would be a mistake to plan.

I'm so jealous.
For a variety of reasons, whether it's pre booked B&B or le camp sauvage, I have always found it desirable to know where I will be laying my head at the end of the day.
I really doubt my ability to change that now...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Andrew Duncan

Post by Andrew Duncan »

The one thing I would take would be a bell with a compass. Google maps is quite good on cycling routes but, if the Sun isn't shining or it's foggy, it helps to know where West is. Mountain Warehouse do a cheapy version. Don't get too hung up on kit but get your bike checked if you're keeping the old one. Bike shops can be very helpful if you state the problem.

Best of luck with it all.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Just remember that a steel bike will throw your compass out - it's probably fine for North vs South, maybe not for much more. A small compass (like Suunto Clipper) and 5m away from the bike will work better. But I'm splitting hairs.

Also your phone probably has a compass anyway.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

seangrobler2 wrote:The issue for me is, I have *no* idea on how to plan a route. I've tried online route planners but they seem to go via London which doesn't appeal to me at all. I want this to be scenic, chilled, and done on no time scale (I've recently graduated so have all the free time in the world). Are there any well-known scenic cycle routes that follow this that I can piece together?

I suggest that your key route decisions rest around the Exeter and Southampton areas. After that, there will be more localised decisions to make.

For Exeter - will you go through it, deviate round to the North of it, or cut South of it by using the Exmouth to Starcross ferry?

For the Southampton area, will you:
- go north of Winchester through the Downs (off your direct line)
- go through Winchester
- go through the built-up area around Southampton and Eastleigh
- go round the area by crossing the Isle of Wight (ride to Portsmouth, ferry to Ryde, ride across the island, ferry from Yarmouth to Lymington then into the New Forest (get to see the island, nice boat trips, but means ferry fares).

Other factors to consider are
- do you want to ride on tarmac or on tracks?
- do you want to climb or to avoid hills?
If hills and tracks appeal, you might want to use the South Downs Way as part of your route, from Eastbourne to Petersfield.

Are there any interesting points roughly along the way that you would like to visit?

Remember that many villages either have no shops or have shops which are expensive and limited in choice. You may sometimes want to include passing through a town for a supermarket.

Do remember that there are independent hostels as well as YHA ones. Independents that come to mind as being along your possible route include Gumber Farm, Slindon (just off the South Downs Way, NW of Arundel) and Sparrowhawk at Moretonhampstead or Steps Bridge at Dunsford, both West of Exeter.
Independent hostel guide: https://independenthostels.co.uk/
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I wonder if the OP will ever come back and comment on the advice given
Richard M
Cardiff
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

richardfm wrote:I wonder if the OP will ever come back and comment on the advice given

He's probably set off and well on his way! :lol: