Which App

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gandi

Which App

Post by gandi »

Hello,
Is there an “App” that will help me plan our first mini tour, what I am after is a map of an area where I can choose a start point then map a route and find BB’s or hotels on the way and possibly give me an indication of the terrain (whether the route involves climbing).

Thanks in advance.
Jdsk

Re: Which App

Post by Jdsk »

Recently I've used:
Cycle Hub
Google Maps
Apple Maps
Booking.com

But I use a Garmin Edge 1000 for navigation.

Do you want to be able to set up routes on a computer or download other people's and then send them to the 'phone?

Jonathan

Ps: Discussion of Cycle Travel https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=128273
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

For offline or online use?
If online then cycle travel will route you and find accommodation.

The OP has a Garmin 800 not sure if still using it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gandi

Post by gandi »

Hello,
I don’t know how you know that I have a Garmin 800 but I don’t anymore and has been a longtime since I had one. Regarding the Garmin that was going to be another post on which one to get as I don’t need any of the training aids within in them now.

Cheers.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Use your phone with Osmand+ on it. Plan your jouney with cycle.travel which will also give you suggestions on accomodation and a low traffic route. Export the .gpx and Osmand+ will guide you along it with visual and voice directions. House the phone on your stem with this which can also contain an auxilliary battery. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071LRZSLS/ ... REbRFH838Q

For less than 20 quid you have a solution, works for me..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
sjs

Post by sjs »

al_yrpal wrote:Use your phone with Osmand+ on it. Plan your jouney with cycle.travel which will also give you suggestions on accomodation and a low traffic route. Export the .gpx and Osmand+ will guide you along it with visual and voice directions. House the phone on your stem with this which can also contain an auxilliary battery. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071LRZSLS/ ... REbRFH838Q

For less than 20 quid you have a solution, works for me..

Al

I agree with this, more or less, though I use Locus Maps not Osmand, mainly because that's what I'm used to. By the way it can also make a reasonable job of offline routing, via the Brouter app. But, I bought the case from Amazon as per the link: while I agree it's a good concept, I just couldn't find anywhere to mount it where the phone screen was easily visible. Perhaps the geometry of my bike isn't quite right for it. Also, the velcro strap mounting made it a bit floppy and rattly. I found a similar, but thinner case, with a better mount, that does the job, but unfortunately isn't big enough to hold a battery.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gandi wrote:Hello,
I don’t know how you know that I have a Garmin 800 but I don’t anymore and has been a longtime since I had one. Regarding the Garmin that was going to be another post on which one to get as I don’t need any of the training aids within in them now.

Cheers.

viewtopic.php?t=89611
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gandi

Post by gandi »

That is some memory or am I missing something, that has long gone,was knocked off by hit and run driver and out for a long time. Sold everything off and only just recently bought Bromptons for me and the mrs and thoroughly enjoying them, so much so we would like to do a mini tour in southern Spain, next year hopefully.

Cheers.
gordonyoung

Post by gordonyoung »

I use Viewranger on the mobile phone (free to use) and then use the Opencycle map for the area I intend to tour to across Europe and also Ontario. Hs worked very well.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

gordonyoung wrote:I use Viewranger on the mobile phone (free to use) and then use the Opencycle map for the area I intend to tour to across Europe and also Ontario. Hs worked very well.

I’ve been a fan of ViewRanger in the past few years. In the past couple of years, it has “snapped” to the road and even path network network when planning cycle or walking routes. (Initially, this only worked on PC.) they merged with another company a few months ago and now I’m being asked to fork out for a Premium service at £25 a year. Not so impressed now.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.