Small team from London to Brighton

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ronrom

Small team from London to Brighton

Post by Ronrom »

Hi all, This is my first time on this site. I'm looking to ride to Brighton to tick off 1 bullet point of my bucket list and to meet cycling buddies for hopefully more cycling adventures. So as I've never cycled to Brighton before I'm looking for people to go with, just a small group. If you are interested text/whatup me on < Best to contact using Private Messages >.
Last edited by Graham on 7 May 2020, 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't put your phone number on the internet
Sweep

Re: Small team from London to Brighton

Post by Sweep »

not advisable until regs change.
This post could be seen as entrapment.
I'd cycle relatively locally by yourself for now.
Time for adventures later.
Sweep
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Well done for not living in the real world for six weeks and not watching tv or listening to any news. I guess this is a windup but it did make me laugh so thanks.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

If you really want to ride London to Brighton, and enjoy it, you will need to get fit enough first.
Luckily, because of lock down restrictions it will be a while before you may get a group together to ride with, so you have time enough to train solo on your permitted daily exercise.
Unlike some bucket list ambitions, cycling some distance is not available as a bought experience.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

roberts8 wrote:Well done for not living in the real world for six weeks and not watching tv or listening to any news. I guess this is a windup but it did make me laugh so thanks.

Cannot help but wonder if it could be the opposite.
ie, not someone out of the news loop.
But very much in it.
A journalist?
Sweep
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

Could just be it is a genuine first timer, new to riding any distance who is looking for encouragement and company to do this when lockdown ends. I think maybe we are all getting a bit cynical ! (I include myself in that, I think it's just a sign off the times)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Are you aware of the official London to Brighton rides. I think there are 2 of them nowadays - June and Sept. Google for info.

Register for one of those and you can have tens of thousands of chums with you.
Ronrom

Post by Ronrom »

Hi all, I'm not joking. I cycle 17miles each day, 5 days a week going to and coming back from work. The lockdown will ease up soon and I think it will be nice with a challenge. I'm not a journalist. I wish I was getting that salary. Anyone genuinely interest get in touch.
Ronrom

Post by Ronrom »

This Sunday I think regulations of the lockdown are going to change for the better. more freedom.

Just 1 or 2 people needed only. Thank you and kind regards Dennis
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Dennis, how are you going to get back ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Ronrom

Post by Ronrom »

By train coming back to London
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ronrom wrote:This Sunday I think regulations of the lockdown are going to change for the better. more freedom.

Just 1 or 2 people needed only. Thank you and kind regards Dennis

The Government seem to be backing away from any suggestion that restrictions are going to change on Sunday, so as it stands what you are planning looks a no-go for the moment. And if they did I don't think they will start by allowing people to use trains for pleasure trips. They will still want to keep people off trains as much as possible, making them less crowded and therefore safer for key workers who have to use them to get to and from work. Give it a month. It might look possible then.
Ronrom

Post by Ronrom »

Does anyone know of anyone who wants to go. Im thinking this Sunday morning. I been to Brighton last week and hardly anyone is on the trains.... plus as long as you wear a face mask and gloves, like in supermakets ( which are ram packed full of people) I think it will be ok
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Ronrom wrote:Does anyone know of anyone who wants to go. Im thinking this Sunday morning. I been to Brighton last week and hardly anyone is on the trains.... plus as long as you wear a face mask and gloves, like in supermakets ( which are ram packed full of people) I think it will be ok

”I think it will be ok”

Perhaps it’s just me but that view of the World seems to be unhelpful. I know people who work for the NHS, they are quite literally risking their lives every day to care for those infected by Coronavirus: in the real World patients, Doctors and Nurses are dying and every death is as a result of someone not expecting to get infected. The patients thought that whatever they were doing was OK, but it wasn’t, and - despite all precautions - some medics have paid a heavy price for putting patient care first.

Please do the right thing and stay off of public transport and avoid taking any possible risks with other people’s health. Of course staying off of public transport reduces risks to your own health too - nobody intentionally contracts Coronavirus but it still happens and it does kill fit people. “I think it will be OK” isn’t a form of risk management. Please defer your trip for a couple of months and so help to keep both yourself and others alive.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

why not do it next year when things should have improved? whats the urgency?