Space between mudguard and Pannier - is there a bag that will fit?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
vegan dog

Space between mudguard and Pannier - is there a bag that will fit?

Post by vegan dog »

I have quite a lot of space between the top of my mudguard and the bottom of the pannier rack. I want to utilise this space (probably with light items) Can anyone recommend a bag that would fit in this space? Preferably something that would taper to enable me to maximise the space. Below is a picture of the space with some measurements, so if anyone could recommend anything I would be very grateful:

Paulatic

Re: Space between mudguard and Pannier - is there a bag that will fit?

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The space you have marked out looks about the shape of a lot of under saddle packs, so may be check some of those for dimensions. You might even manage to bodge/fettle/replicate saddle rails for easy fitting. The mud guard mounting bracket looks good.
Any chance of a wider view of the rack/rear wheel - the layout looks a bit curious to me, from the photo it looks as though your rack/panniers are behind the rear wheel axle, loads behind the rear axle can make interesting handling!

I have occasionally pondered mounting a D lock under/to one side on the inside of my rear rack, but that has never got far up my to do list.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Check out Plant X. They have a range of cheap bikepacking bags. One might fit. I also wondered if a fuel bottle might fit there?
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Make your own.
Cardboard templates first. Stick together with sticky tape to check fit.
Draw round, then cut out leaving enough selvedge for a double seam.
Stitch together inside out following previously drawn lines as guide.
Very satisfying.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

PT1029 wrote:Any chance of a wider view of the rack/rear wheel - the layout looks a bit curious to me, from the photo it looks as though your rack/panniers are behind the rear wheel axle, loads behind the rear axle can make interesting handling!

Below is a wider view and you are right the rack is a long way back! I have quite a short chain stay and was sick of clipping my heels on the panniers. I tried lots of racks that did not give me enough clearance and then found the Axiom Uni-Fit MK3 Journey Rear Bicycle Rack. It's a cheap rack, but I beefed it up with some machined Aluminium braces. It has taken some serious punishment and I would trust it for a world tour.

I have to say I don't notice bad handling, although maybe I am a little strange! People may criticise my setup and say on paper it's not a good idea but it suits me perfectly.

vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

Paulatic wrote:Something like a wedge bag maybe?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPODTTW/ ... -wedge-bag

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like it may fit quite well.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Or go nuts and contact Alpkit, whose bags are made in the UK and see what's possible by way of a custom design?
nsew

Post by nsew »

A small frame bag will obviously fit in there but how are you going to access the contents without going through the faff of removing it each time? Carrying so much weight behind the rear wheel’s axle is a fail. It will be necessary to counterbalance by either standing and leaning stupidly forward over the bars or overloading the front so as not to tip over backwards on a climb. Oftentimes an excellent spot (or only spot) is to be found the other side of a fence or locked gate. The quicker you’re able to get the bike, kit and yourself over any obstacle can mean the difference between being seen or not. It’s amateur hour loading a touring bike to the gills, it’s just making your life more difficult and complicated.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

nsew wrote:A small frame bag will obviously fit in there but how are you going to access the contents without going through the faff of removing it each time?

I will put things in there that I don't plan on using very often, such as spare tubes and other spares for the bike e.g. brake bleeding kit, Rohloff oil change kit, other tools etc.

nsew wrote:Carrying so much weight behind the rear wheel’s axle is a fail. It will be necessary to counterbalance by either standing and leaning stupidly forward over the bars or overloading the front so as not to tip over backwards on a climb.

As I say on paper, it may not be optimal, but it suits me fine. The bike is not a proper touring bike and has a short chain stay, so I was always clipping my heels on the panniers. The only alternative would have been to have the panniers crazy high and custom make a rack, but how It is now suits me perfectly . I have done some short tours in the Brecon Beacons and have climbed everything fine. You may have a point if I was touring in Nepal / Himalayas etc., but I'm really not fit enough to climb proper mountains on a fully loaded bike.

nsew wrote:Oftentimes an excellent spot (or only spot) is to be found the other side of a fence or locked gate. The quicker you’re able to get the bike, kit and yourself over any obstacle can mean the difference between being seen or not.

Never had this problem. I do lift the bike when required without an issue.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Whilst that space may be tempting i think i'd be looking at utilising the space in front of the rack which would help with load balance too. looking at your picture, one of the off the shelf rack top bags out there would fit nicely and you'd have sensible access. Just a thought.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nsew

Post by nsew »

The pannier attached on the left side is a right side pannier. The pockets should be at the rear. A good place to carry extra stuff is in a frame bag along the underside of the top bar - would require a regular bottle cage though. Sorry, I read you were off on a world tour - which that rack being alu wouldn’t survive far into. Nice fenders.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

nsew wrote: Sorry, I read you were off on a world tour - which that rack being alu wouldn’t survive far into.

I do plan a world tour, but coronavirus has kind of put the brakes on that at the moment. I beg to differ that the rack won't survive. The mounting points are steel and I have significantly beefed up the front supports with machined aluminium. I have spoken in person with riders who have done world tours (including Africa) with aluminium racks (and also Aluminium bikes). Plus I have really put this rack through the paces over the last few months - loaded it up and done some extreme off road riding. I have wrecked headsets, severely damaged rims and caused other damages - but the rack has held up well. I deliberately push things to failure. I did try a Tortec stainless steel rack, then a Tubus rack and a few other non branded ones, but I settled on the one I have. The setup I have has the best clearance.

I did think about frame bags as an option, however I like the oversized water bottles that I have. Really I don't find the handling a problem.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Install the panniers on the side of the rack they’re designed to go on - that’s why your heels were hitting. Racks wear away and snap where the pannier hooks attach. Even steel racks, which can then be welded.
vegan dog

Post by vegan dog »

nsew wrote:Install the panniers on the side of the rack they’re designed to go on - that’s why your heels were hitting. Racks wear away and snap where the pannier hooks attach. Even steel racks, which can then be welded.

The panniers have been on and off and different ways round more times than I have had hot meals! I just quickly slung that Pannier on without thinking when I took the photo. The way they are situated makes little difference to my heels clipping. As I say it's not a touring bike and has a short chain stay. I only had 2 options, custom make a rack so the panniers sit crazy high above the wheel, or push everything back. While I understand any rack can wear away, I am happy with my setup and have tested it to extreme levels.

I hear your argument about steel and welding, and people make the same argument in relation to steel frame bikes. While my bike is steel, I would have happily had an aluminium bike. I have been welding for 20 years, and the steel tube that bikes are made from is often quite thin, and it takes a certain skill level to properly weld that grade of material.