How much food to carry for an expedition?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
vegan dog

Re: How much food to carry for an expedition?

Postby vegan dog » 12 May 2020, 11:16pm

nsew wrote:
“Not having cycled since a child, I have decided to embark on a world tour......“ (November 2019)

Not sure what your point is, I have not done a decent tour in over 10 years

nsew

Postby nsew » 12 May 2020, 11:18pm

vegan dog wrote:
nsew wrote:
“Not having cycled since a child, I have decided to embark on a world tour......“ (November 2019)

‪Post by vegan dog » 28 Nov 2019, 8:24pm‬
‪Just thought I would introduce myself. Not having cycled since a child, I have decided to embark on a world tour (mid life crisis!) I am just in the process of kitting my bike out and have purchased a second hand steel frame Santos Travel master (Rohloff). I have spent a while dreaming of a different kind of life and have finally decided to take the plunge!‬

vegan dog

Postby vegan dog » 12 May 2020, 11:20pm

nsew wrote:
vegan dog wrote:
nsew wrote:

‪Post by vegan dog » 28 Nov 2019, 8:24pm‬
‪Just thought I would introduce myself. Not having cycled since a child, I have decided to embark on a world tour (mid life crisis!) I am just in the process of kitting my bike out and have purchased a second hand steel frame Santos Travel master (Rohloff). I have spent a while dreaming of a different kind of life and have finally decided to take the plunge!‬

Read the post, I even say in this thread "I have mainly travelled in cars, so cycling is a new experience." My last serious cycling tour was over 10 years ago.

nsew

Postby nsew » 12 May 2020, 11:27pm

you certainly spend a lot of time dreaming of a different kind of life.

djb

Postby djb » 13 May 2020, 12:09am

Vegan-- the Santos travel master that you own seems to be a very rugged touring bike, designed for touring and I've seen reviews of it that say the chainstays are of sufficient length to avoid heel strike.

Did you ride through those four countries in Africa 10, 15 years ago as you said, or have you not ridden since you were a child?
Not clear to me.
I'm sure we'd all appreciate you being up front about things.
Sure, it doesn't change dreaming of a bike trip, but if you haven't biked since you were a kid, it will bring more challenges for a daunting, tough trip.

vegan dog

Postby vegan dog » 13 May 2020, 8:50am

djb wrote:Vegan-- the Santos travel master that you own seems to be a very rugged touring bike, designed for touring and I've seen reviews of it that say the chainstays are of sufficient length to avoid heel strike.

First point, what has clipping my heels got to do with the topic in hand? Second point, as people seem to be obsessed with clipping heels, maybe I should say I did not strike my heels - I am making it all up. I went to the trouble of trying different racks and custom machining supports for the fun of it. I have nothing else to do in my life but post pictures on here and make a false claim that I clipped my heels. Are you happy now? If you don't believe that I clipped my heels, it's your loss. I am not going to loose any sleep over it. I clipped my heels, if people don't believe it they will have to get over it.

As for the Santos travel master, I am not even sure I do have a Santos travel master now. I am only going off what the seller told me, but I don't see any stickers on the frame or any other markings. Personally I don't care what make the bike is - it's the perfect size for me and I am happy with the setup. If you or anyone else are not happy with the setup it's tough, as you are not the ones riding it.

djb wrote:Did you ride through those four countries in Africa 10, 15 years ago as you said, or have you not ridden since you were a child?

Yes I did ride through those countries, the child thing was an exaggeration but I have not ridden in any serious capacity for many many years. Believe what you want, but I am not claiming to have any great experience. My only claim is that I do have some experience. That's why I am intrigued to know how others with more experience approach food on the road.
Last edited by vegan dog on 13 May 2020, 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 May 2020, 9:01am

nsew wrote:you certainly spend a lot of time dreaming of a different kind of life.

What exactly is your point other than exercising a need to be snarky?
Sweep

vegan dog

Postby vegan dog » 13 May 2020, 9:30am

Sweep wrote:
nsew wrote:you certainly spend a lot of time dreaming of a different kind of life.

What exactly is your point other than exercising a need to be snarky?

I don't need to prove anything to anybody, but:

Here is a picture of my Nigerian Visa:

Here is a picture of my Ghana Visa:

Here is a picture of my kazakhstan Visa:

And yes I did travel to China as well :

But for all the sad people on here - I just made them with photoshop because I have nothing else to do but to get into debates with idiotic people who know nothing about me and have no proof where I have and have not been. I thought this forum was for exchanging friendly chat with others. But keep trolling and posting crap.
Last edited by vegan dog on 13 May 2020, 9:42am, edited 2 times in total.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 May 2020, 9:41am

vegan dog wrote:. I thought this forum was for exchanging friendly chat with others. .

It is. And for lots of very knowledgeable advice freely given without flaunting egos.
Do carry on.
Sweep

Rmr25

Postby Rmr25 » 13 May 2020, 10:57am

<SNIP - wasted, long quotation >
Whatever you decide to do, good luck, stay safe & enjoy the experience

djb

Postby djb » 13 May 2020, 12:04pm

Vegan
Thanks. You can see why I wondered if you had done the Africa trip.
But no worries, back on topic

Like you in Africa, my Latin America trips were in areas where we would always hit towns, so didn't really have to be concerned in the food dept, other than always having something at bottom of a pannier as a meal backup, can of tuna etc etc

Id really suggest looking at trip journals from crazy guy for route and logistic details. In the past I read some from the stans , but haven't read any recent ones, and anyway I was reading only for entertainment, no serious trip thoughts, so putting no thought at all at the routes or actually being there.

I'd be concerned about your custom brackets putting panniers back, they would be getting lots of forces into them, especially if you are more aftloaded.

Guess my only recommendation isto properlytest them with a real life load and bumpiness.

Good luck with your researching

pq

Postby pq » 21 May 2020, 9:33pm

I've ridden quite a bit in the stans. With food it depends very much on what sort of route you want to do. If you want to get right off the beaten track in the Pamir, you will need to carry quite a bit of food - at least a week's worth. And villages often have nothing to sell you becasue people produce their own food. However if you whirl through on the Pamir Highway you can get by with much less. The same applies more-or-less in the wilder parts of Kyrgyzstan, although there are, in my experice more people and more food. I took a bunch of freeze dried mountaineering food for emergencies and tried to avoid using it as much as possible, but needed all of it in the end. I never rode in Afghanistan becasue of visa problems but, assuming you're talking about the Wakhan corridor, I guess a week of food would probably be enough.
One link to your website is enough. G

dondelion

Postby dondelion » 23 May 2020, 9:21pm

5 days is a good amount in general but it depends whether you want to take your time and you don't mind riding heavy. If you're fast and light, it's easier to ride hard 100km to the next resupply point so you can carry a lot less. I love cooking in camp so I'll always carry fresh veg, cheese, pickles etc but some people might just carry dried or pre prepared food to cut down on cooking time. Having a broad palette of dishes that you can cook helps.

I was in the Stans for a few months in 2015. As others have said, if you're on the main routes there are fairly regular resupply points and the occasional truck stop between them so it's easy to plan ahead. Villages away from this can be very hit and miss and I'd always advise asking at any shop you find, where the next one might be. It really helps to know some Russian as Central Asians are very friendly and will nearly always want to help or make a bit of cash and English is not the lingua franca. CA visas weren't that tricky except Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, caravanistan.com is a good guide.

Food wise in CA, noodles are perfect. Easily augmented with fresh veg, an egg or soy sauce, cheap, available everywhere. Bread and sheep or goat cheese for snacks. Oats and fruit, nuts and seeds for breakfast. Litres of green tea for refreshment, slightly less vodichka for celebration and male bonding.

In Bolivia last summer we carried up to 8 days of food as we were quite out of the way, villages were rather depopulated and shops were quite capricious with their opening days. We met some people doing the Ruta Seis Miles, 18 days worth of food needed...

https://bikepacking.com/routes/ruta-seis-miles-norte/

djb

Postby djb » 24 May 2020, 6:00am

Donde, hijodepuchica the landscapes on la ruta seis miles are damn beautiful, but boy that's one kick ass hard route, I'm closer to 60 than 50 so probably too much, but man those open spaces.....

I've never had to carry so much food as you guys did, but certainly carrying that much food and water really puts a strain on you and your wheel set.

I've really grown to love biking through biiiiig open spaces.....so many neat trip ideas and so little time.

Vegan, do take into account the extra weight of supplies on your rack, bit of a snafu if that bracket of yours would get fatigue cracks.

Hey Donde, if you haven't seen iohan gugeriov's videos on YouTube, check them out. His more recent Chile and Argentina stuff is stunning. He's a hard ass,cool, unpretentious guy. I think I misspelled his name...
Cheers, luego

KTHSullivan

Postby KTHSullivan » 25 May 2020, 10:19am

Fairly simple; as much or as little as you need!
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol: