What do the new rules mean for cycle touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

What do the new rules mean for cycle touring?

Post by 1982john »

From Wednesday some restrictions have been lifted.

You can now travel further from home and exercise more than once a day (though the law on this was iffy anyway)

From Wednesday could you now go touring for a couple of days?

Probably not unless you had permission to camp on someone's field....
Paulatic

Re: What do the new rules mean for cycle touring?

Post by Paulatic »

I think you’ve answered your own question :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've not heard anything saying that the rule about staying at a single place has been relaxed, except under certain exceptions eg kids with 2 separated parents. Just think about no holiday homes, or staying the night with your lover.

Unless this rules changes at tonight's clarification of last nights muddled announcement, I would say that camping away from home is not yet allowed.
Last edited by simonhill on 11 May 2020, 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

On the BBC this lunchtime they specifically said you must return to your normal residence each night.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

looking at the FAQs touring of any sort is off limits still.

Though you can now travel a 100 miles cycle for a bit and come back home.
pwa

Post by pwa »

1982john wrote:looking at the FAQs touring of any sort is off limits still.

Though you can now travel a 100 miles cycle for a bit and come back home.

So long as you stay in England.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I don't quite understand the fixation on rules and the latest government advice. These restrictions are now driven by the public at large, by most cyclists (I presume) and indeed by our own forum members. If you want to know what to do, just stick to your own beliefs: avoid public transport, stay at home, don't travel to work, keep six feet away from other people, don't visit friends and don't go away on holiday. So, my advice to cyclists (unless I am informed otherwise) is do what comes naturally; there are only a few of us who are constrained by the rules - the rest are doing it anyway because they believe in it. Of course, what you believe other people should or should not be doing is another matter.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You can go out more than once a day and go long distances. You can also drive somewhere and cycle from there. But going out just for a day isnt cycle touring to my mind. Its the staying away from home for at least one night bit that changes it into a tour for me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

al_yrpal wrote:You can go out more than once a day and go long distances. You can also drive somewhere and cycle from there. But going out just for a day isnt cycle touring to my mind. Its the staying away from home for at least one night bit that changes it into a tour for me.

Al

Glad to hear it al, so hopefully you'll be pressing your MP to reduce the restrictions further - I'm with you on this one!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

horizon wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:You can go out more than once a day and go long distances. You can also drive somewhere and cycle from there. But going out just for a day isnt cycle touring to my mind. Its the staying away from home for at least one night bit that changes it into a tour for me.

Al

Glad to hear it al, so hopefully you'll be pressing your MP to reduce the restrictions further - I'm with you on this one!

Horizon, I'm not that bothered at present, just enjoying long rides in the Devon countryside. Made it to Sidmouth the other day and got my sandwiches out only to be attacked by half a dozen hungry herring gulls! Had to go to the chipshop.... :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

horizon wrote:

Al

Don't want this to turn into another Covid argument but I would prefer harder restrictions for now to allow greater freedom sooner rather than piecemeal offerings which can be confused and have liberties taken with.
robing

Post by robing »

Al

Could you wild camp for a night? No problem with social distancing.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thehairs1970 wrote:
horizon wrote:

Al

Don't want this to turn into another Covid argument but I would prefer harder restrictions for now to allow greater freedom sooner rather than piecemeal offerings which can be confused and have liberties taken with.

Certainly agree with your last point.

Back to briefly ' touring', defo no no.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well, undoubtedly you could wild camp but that wouldn't meet the requirement to return home every night. The law is clear.

Al
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:Well, undoubtedly you could wild camp but that wouldn't meet the requirement to return home every night. The law is clear.

How do you know it's clear? Has the law from Wednesday even been published yet? It's not on https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/?g ... order=desc or https://statutoryinstruments.parliament.uk as I write this.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.