What do the new rules mean for cycle touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: What do the new rules mean for cycle touring?

Post by Jdsk »

LittleGreyCat wrote:At the moment it is mainly illegal to travel from England into Scotland and Wales; certainly illegal to do so for leisure purposes.

Under which law if the excuse is reasonable in both jurisdictions? That would include a single episode of exercise near to home even if it involved crossing the border between England and Wales.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:At the moment it is mainly illegal to travel from England into Scotland and Wales; certainly illegal to do so for leisure purposes.

Under which law if the excuse is reasonable in both jurisdictions? That would include a single episode of exercise near to home even if it involved crossing the border between England and Wales.

Jonathan

I cycle to Scotland a couple of times most weeks. For leisure purposes. It is a mile or so away. The road cross crosses. We shop there and vv. At the tip this morning we needed our council tax bill to make sure we weren't from Scotland.
John
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Seems there are no excuses. On Radio4 lunchtime today they featured a woman who, just before lockdown, had left her flat in London to care for some relatives in Wales. She now needs to go back to collect her belongings, but isn't allowed to. I think she said she even asked the Police but was refused permission.
Chris F, Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Worth noting that there are effectively border controls between England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
All other countries in the UK have more stringent laws, rules and regulations than England.
At the moment it is mainly illegal to travel from England into Scotland and Wales; certainly illegal to do so for leisure purposes.

There was no sign of or indication of any checks/controls when i transited through Chepstow today - maybe they are only doing it in tourist areas. That said, whilst i fancied a ride up the Wye valley i didn't want to push my luck :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've seen what I assume are border checks up here, possibly looking for campervans going north. People have to cross to shop as the supermarkets are in England so they are unlikely to be looking for cars.
John