Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
climo
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby climo » 14 Oct 2020, 9:25pm

pwa wrote:
simonhill wrote:This post is about next year and I suspect lots of forum members will want to head off across mainland Europe then. Just look at the interest shown on the withdrawn ferry post.

I appreciate you are talking about next year but right now the best case scenario is that a vaccine (or two) starts being used by next spring and by mid summer we may see some signs of reducing rates. If everything goes well we may be getting back to normal(ish) by the autumn. That is what I am telling myself. I want some hope but I don't want unrealistic hope.

I doubt if it'll be next year. Even if a vaccine is available then you have the horrendous job of vaccinating the entire UK and Europe. In the UK if you do 100k a day it'll take 650 days just to do us lot. That's assuming everyone shows up on time. If Bojo the Clown can't organise track & trace now then I would think 100k a day is optimistic. 20% won't have it due to antivax hysteria and will act as a reservoir ready to reinfect us all if, as in the case with flu, a yearly jab is needed.The gov can't even order the correct amount of flu vaccine each year so what hope covid.
The whole thing is utterly depressing and made much worse by the collective madness of brexit.

The bright side is that I've inherited an old dog so can't do a long tour until he dies. But today he went for his first trip in his new doggy trailer - total weight of dog and cart is 55kg!! So at least we can do day trips and maybe, just maybe, a 3 day tour and having towed a 55kg weight I should be fit a least.

pwa
Posts: 13247
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby pwa » 14 Oct 2020, 9:31pm

climo wrote:
pwa wrote:
simonhill wrote:This post is about next year and I suspect lots of forum members will want to head off across mainland Europe then. Just look at the interest shown on the withdrawn ferry post.

I appreciate you are talking about next year but right now the best case scenario is that a vaccine (or two) starts being used by next spring and by mid summer we may see some signs of reducing rates. If everything goes well we may be getting back to normal(ish) by the autumn. That is what I am telling myself. I want some hope but I don't want unrealistic hope.

I doubt if it'll be next year. Even if a vaccine is available then you have the horrendous job of vaccinating the entire UK and Europe. In the UK if you do 100k a day it'll take 650 days just to do us lot. That's assuming everyone shows up on time. If Bojo the Clown can't organise track & trace now then I would think 100k a day is optimistic. 20% won't have it due to antivax hysteria and will act as a reservoir ready to reinfect us all if, as in the case with flu, a yearly jab is needed.The gov can't even order the correct amount of flu vaccine each year so what hope covid.
The whole thing is utterly depressing and made much worse by the collective madness of brexit.

The bright side is that I've inherited an old dog so can't do a long tour until he dies. But today he went for his first trip in his new doggy trailer - total weight of dog and cart is 55kg!! So at least we can do day trips and maybe, just maybe, a 3 day tour and having towed a 55kg weight I should be fit a least.

Maybe at some point you can supply us with a photo of an old dog in a trailer to cheer us up.

climo
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby climo » 14 Oct 2020, 9:52pm

no sooner said than done
He's too long for the trailer so I've added the wood at the front so he can stretch his legs through a flap under the door and not drag his paws. Useful when he gets out as well. Surprisingly the metal support doesn't foul the rear wheel.
Image Attachments
IMG_20201014_170656.jpg

climo
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby climo » 14 Oct 2020, 9:59pm

climo wrote:no sooner said than done
He's too long for the trailer so I've added the wood at the front so he can stretch his legs through a flap under the door and not drag his paws. Useful when he gets out as well. Surprisingly the metal support doesn't foul the rear wheel.

Pre expedition shot prior to adding the wood. We call it Gus's Snack Shack as he's treated each time he gets in. :D
Image Attachments
IMG_0357.jpg

st599_uk
Posts: 304
Joined: 4 Nov 2018, 8:59pm

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby st599_uk » 15 Oct 2020, 7:46pm

climo wrote:
pwa wrote:
simonhill wrote:This post is about next year and I suspect lots of forum members will want to head off across mainland Europe then. Just look at the interest shown on the withdrawn ferry post.

I appreciate you are talking about next year but right now the best case scenario is that a vaccine (or two) starts being used by next spring and by mid summer we may see some signs of reducing rates. If everything goes well we may be getting back to normal(ish) by the autumn. That is what I am telling myself. I want some hope but I don't want unrealistic hope.

I doubt if it'll be next year. Even if a vaccine is available then you have the horrendous job of vaccinating the entire UK and Europe. In the UK if you do 100k a day it'll take 650 days just to do us lot. That's assuming everyone shows up on time. If Bojo the Clown can't organise track & trace now then I would think 100k a day is optimistic. 20% won't have it due to antivax hysteria and will act as a reservoir ready to reinfect us all if, as in the case with flu, a yearly jab is needed.The gov can't even order the correct amount of flu vaccine each year so what hope covid.
The whole thing is utterly depressing and made much worse by the collective madness of brexit.

The bright side is that I've inherited an old dog so can't do a long tour until he dies. But today he went for his first trip in his new doggy trailer - total weight of dog and cart is 55kg!! So at least we can do day trips and maybe, just maybe, a 3 day tour and having towed a 55kg weight I should be fit a least.
The plan isn't to vaccinate the entire country, just the vulnerable. Anyone under 50 is expected to make their own immunity.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Jdsk
Posts: 3777
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby Jdsk » 15 Oct 2020, 7:52pm

st599_uk wrote:The plan isn't to vaccinate the entire country, just the vulnerable. Anyone under 50 is expected to make their own immunity.

TTBOMK there isn't currently a plan.

But it's very likely that there will be prioritisation. Here's the current public version of the thinking:
"JCVI: updated interim advice on priority groups for COVID-19 vaccination"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

Jonathan

Jamesh
Posts: 1550
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby Jamesh » 16 Oct 2020, 6:39pm

climo wrote:
climo wrote:no sooner said than done
He's too long for the trailer so I've added the wood at the front so he can stretch his legs through a flap under the door and not drag his paws. Useful when he gets out as well. Surprisingly the metal support doesn't foul the rear wheel.

Pre expedition shot prior to adding the wood. We call it Gus's Snack Shack as he's treated each time he gets in. :D


Where are his pedals?

Does he use spd or look!!

Cheers James

climo
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Longer term cycle touring in Europe after 2020

Postby climo » 16 Oct 2020, 6:54pm

Jamesh wrote:
climo wrote:
climo wrote:no sooner said than done
He's too long for the trailer so I've added the wood at the front so he can stretch his legs through a flap under the door and not drag his paws. Useful when he gets out as well. Surprisingly the metal support doesn't foul the rear wheel.

Pre expedition shot prior to adding the wood. We call it Gus's Snack Shack as he's treated each time he gets in. :D


Where are his pedals?

Does he use spd or look!!

Cheers James

He's a lazy passenger, no help at all. :(
40 years ago I had a St Bernard dog that I used to go camping with in the Rockies. Made him a set of panniers to carry his food and my stove, etc. He never got used to the extra wide and often got stuck between 2 trees. He also fell down a crevasse on a glacier once but that's another tale.