Fast Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: Fast Touring

Postby PH » 28 May 2020, 1:36pm

I like fantasising about new bikes as much as anyone, but the OP is on a budget. I'm still firmly of the opinion that the bike they have is fine for the trip, maybe with some slight modification - better tyres, maybe tri bars and shedding a little weight. I'd be surprised if the new bike money couldn't be better spent in other ways to improve the chances of achieving their goal.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 28 May 2020, 4:27pm

+1

But then again, I did say the following at reply no 9:

"Secondly, as you are on an (undisclosed) budget, have you thought of using your current bike. Maybe not super light, but a good strong steel frame that could be modded to make it a lot lighter. Probably much cheaper than a new bike."

so I think you could say we are now going round in circles.

As for me, the idea of shipping bits out and making changes in flight gives me the willies. Too many chances for something to go wrong when on a tight schedule.

djb

Postby djb » 28 May 2020, 5:24pm

All good valid points. And as one of you wrote at one point, this fellow will have lots of time to try out things and to sort out basic stuff like bike fit, saddle and bike shorts interface, hands and neck stuff"--- all boring stuff that can have issues exposed by day after day long long days in the saddle.
We all know even a seat bum issue like a saddle sore can mess things up, so he has lots of time to prepare and discover the mryiad of minutia that will come into play.

And yes, we enjoy participating in these discussions for entertainment, but also to share experience that can be helpful to a certain extent.

whoof

Postby whoof » 29 May 2020, 8:50am

The link below is about an adventure race through Kyrgyzstan. I understand that there is a more road based route but thought it might show you what there is on offer if you wish. It might also be an interesting video for others to watch there are others available in the series which are from a recent on line touring festival. The following film is a five minute video on the sea tip sea routes in the UK

https://vimeo.com/317470522

Edit with respect to budget how often are you going to do this? It would be a shame to spoil the ship for an ha'penny worth of tar.

Conabike

Postby Conabike » 31 May 2020, 5:36pm

Thanks once again everyone for your great replies. I’ve got new sleeker tyres (marathon supremes) and will see how I get on with them on some long cycles next week, maybe modifying my current bike is the best option, its a decent and very sturdy tourer. Lots of things will need to fall into place for me to give this a go, its all hypothetical at the moment obviously with much uncertainty. Thanks for the tips, plenty to think about!

djb

Postby djb » 31 May 2020, 5:46pm

have fun riding, and reading up as much as you can on all the different countries involved. Thats certainly the great thing with teh web, is being able to get some good personal experiences from other folks that will help you be more prepared, properly informed and to consider doing a trip like this.

Aquila

Postby Aquila » 1 Jun 2020, 5:22pm

It's not the bike it's the engine :)

whoof

Postby whoof » 1 Jun 2020, 8:29pm

mines-a-pint

Postby mines-a-pint » 19 Jun 2020, 11:01am

Check this guy’s journey around the world on a £460 decathlon bike, quite interesting...

https://instagram.com/ian_cyclingaround ... 9r075logb0

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels