KISS

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jimlews

Re: KISS

Post by jimlews »

JEEP - Just Enough Equipment (to) Perform.
djb

Post by djb »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
djb wrote:from what I have witnessed while on bike trips, there are some people who clearly have never done self supported outdoor activities before, ie carrying their own things on their back, and have a hard time getting the concept of how all kinds of little or large things add up in weight, and end up having a real negative impact on the activity.
These generally are the minority, some of them you can tell will probably never bike tour again because in their mind, "its just too hard" but they don't or can't see that their choices are making the negative impact on the activity.

Or they might have taken their cues from DofE...

sorry, what is D of E ?
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

djb wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:
djb wrote:from what I have witnessed while on bike trips, there are some people who clearly have never done self supported outdoor activities before, ie carrying their own things on their back, and have a hard time getting the concept of how all kinds of little or large things add up in weight, and end up having a real negative impact on the activity.
These generally are the minority, some of them you can tell will probably never bike tour again because in their mind, "its just too hard" but they don't or can't see that their choices are making the negative impact on the activity.

Or they might have taken their cues from DofE...

sorry, what is D of E ?

Duke of Edinburgh(s) Award ?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

jimlews wrote:
djb wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Or they might have taken their cues from DofE...

sorry, what is D of E ?

Yep. They seem keen on giving extensive kit lists of must-have items to be carried up and down hills in high summer by skinny teens. I suppose you might more broadly call this the "better safe than sorry" school of packing.
djb

Post by djb »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
jimlews wrote:
djb wrote:
sorry, what is D of E ?

Yep. They seem keen on giving extensive kit lists of must-have items to be carried up and down hills in high summer by skinny teens. I suppose you might more broadly call this the "better safe than sorry" school of packing.

Ah, gotcha.
Or as we say over on this side of the pond, "everything but the kitchen sink"
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

No I think the DofE list probably includes the kitchen sink and possibly the bath as well...

In fairness most of the DofE youngsters I see, seem to be mainly struggling with a huge basic sleeping bag that takes up more space than you would believe! I was never involved with DofE but I know lots of people that were and for them it started a life long love of the outdoors (though I've no idea if there is an equally large group it put off!).
djb

Post by djb »

Now I get it, sort of an equivelant of the Scouts organization. Here scouts are still around, although without the religious angle that was present in the past, and yes, can be a very positive experience with kids for getting an appreciation of doing outdoor stuff.
I was never in scouts, but both my children loved it. The local group had a great bunch of young group leaders who were lots of fun.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Here's a link for the D of E kit list:

https://www.dofe.org/shopping/dofe-expedition-kit-list/

It is very "comprehensive" :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I love the fact that it includes tea towels. Very Wild Cat Island.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

djb wrote:Now I get it, sort of an equivelant of the Scouts organization. Here scouts are still around, although without the religious angle that was present in the past, and yes, can be a very positive experience with kids for getting an appreciation of doing outdoor stuff.
I was never in scouts, but both my children loved it. The local group had a great bunch of young group leaders who were lots of fun.

Scouts are still very much in existence. The DOE award is something that Scouts may take on - but it's for many other groups and individuals as well.
djb

Post by djb »

ANTONISH wrote:
djb wrote:Now I get it, sort of an equivelant of the Scouts organization. Here scouts are still around, although without the religious angle that was present in the past, and yes, can be a very positive experience with kids for getting an appreciation of doing outdoor stuff.

Scouts are still very much in existence. The DOE award is something that Scouts may take on - but it's for many other groups and individuals as well.

Curious. Well, I'll go to sleep a little less dumber than I was this morning.
Next thing you'll be teaching me about marmite, that stuff that should only be used to stick shingles to a roof, not put on a dry, cold piece of toast ;-)
nsew

Post by nsew »

“So really, it’s a fairly lightweight set-up” (37kg)

https://youtu.be/Uw3cKOjOa9M
nsew

Post by nsew »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Last summer I divided a sheet of A4 into quadrants with headings: ride, eat, sleep, wear. I think 'wear' expanded to include anything that didn't fall into the three more specific categories, such as phone, power bank, book (I always take a book on tour, love to read at night in a tent). The specific items in each category will change according to circumstances, eg weather, but that seems to cover the functions.

That’s good practice re the A4. Bits are bits, there’s a good few of them, I take less of them each time out. The joy of cycle travel is being able to move around freely taking it all in - unencumbered by the weight, bulk and clutter/distraction of unnecessary sheet.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Must admit I love my Kindle for touring.

It means aI have a large supply of books that have no weight or bulk, con't need a torch to read, and needs little charging

It is also storage for all my documents. Most items can be stored on the Kindle and called easily
aflook

Post by aflook »

My last long tour I decided to dispense with front panniers. The load was lighter and easier to manage if I used a hotel or train, but I suspect that the amount of time I spent trying to fit the day's food etc. into the space available was more than the time saved by cycling slightly faster. For me, it's not just about the cycling, but also about enjoying the stops on the way. Each to their own and who are we to criticize? But I am thinking about cutting the handle off my toothbrush :wink: