Oban, Tiree and Barra in July

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gibsons

Oban, Tiree and Barra in July

Post by gibsons »

My intrepid husband and 2 children (11 and 7) are planning a cycle touring trip around the Oban area and then over to Tiree, Barra and possibly the Uists.
After something of a nightmare (Virgin trains being hopeless until I found Fiona in customer services) of booking the 3 of them and 3 bikes on 3 legs of the train journey (there's a pattern here !) they can now get to Oban to start their adventure.
Any advice from locals or cycle tourists with tips and hints would be very welcome, especially as to whether the additional trips to one or more of the Uists would be worthwhile. They are planning to hostel rather than camp. Any tips on taking the bikes on Virgin and Scotrail trains are also very welcome.

Judy
chrisb402

Virgin Trains

Post by chrisb402 »

Judy,

This is not quite the response you were looking for but I've also been having a nightmare trying to book my bike on a Virgin Train and would be most interested to know how to contact Fiona in Customer Services. If you can assist I'b be very happy.

Many Thanks, Chris
gibsons

Post by gibsons »

Chris - I have pm'd you

Judy
Will

Post by Will »

I've been out to the Western Isles a couple of times, and the last time I went, I used the train to get to Oban. The train to Oban (from Glasgow Queen Street) is quite well equipped for carrying bikes, with space for six bikes that hang vertically by the front wheel (you have to remove your panniers). I think you have to book your bike(s) on the train, even when it is quiet.

I assume that your Virgin train arrives at Glasgow Central. It is only about half a mile from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen Street, but the roads are busy and with a seven year old, you should probably just walk it.

The train that leaves Glasgow Queen Street splits in two about half way up, with one half going to Oban and the other to Mallaig - make sure you are in the right half.

The youth hostel in Oban is really nice, overlooking Oban Bay. You will see two youth hostels listed for Oban, the Oban Lodge is situated around the back of the original Oban Hostel, but booking are taken separate from the Oban hostel.

I've been to Tiree in June, but camped rather than used a hostel. I think it will be really busy in July - Have you booked your accomodation yet?

The hostel in Castlebay (Barra) also gets really busy at times (usually with large groups).

If you get as far as South Uist, there is a hostel at Howmore (Tobha Mor). The hostel is run by the Gatliff Trust and is very basic. There is one building with bunks that is mixed. There is also a small room in the other building that sleeps 3, but it seems to be quite popular (with young women). You cannot book a bed with the Gatliff hostels, but they are rarely full up (even in July). Many people who stay there camp outside and use the hostel facilities.

See http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/southuist/howmore/index.html

Will
gibsons

Post by gibsons »

Will,

Thanks very much for this - they have booked a hostel on Tiree. The information on the change of trains in Glasgow and accommodation on Uist is really helpful.

Do you think a capable 7 year old will manage ok cycling on the islands ?

How easy were the ferries ? Should they book any of those in advance ?

Judy
Will

Post by Will »

Judy,

Tiree is really flat, though it means you don't get much shelter from the wind. When I was there last June, it was really calm & sunny.

Barra and South Uist are a bit "lumpy". The roads are pretty quiet at the best of times. You do get a bit of traffic when the ferries dock, but it doesn't last long. The wind can play a big part and will probably dictate how far they can go.

You don't need to book the ferries in advance, you just turn up and buy your ticket (including one for your bike). The bigger ferries require you to fill out a boarding card (you hand it the top part when you board and the bottom part as you leave). Make sure you have one completed otherwise it's a mad dash back to the booking office to pick one up (they won't let you on the ferry without one).

Will
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Check out the CalMac site: often an 'Island-hopper' ticket is cheaper as the bikes go free, even if you do not use all the journeys! On the islands, check out the buses - they will usually take cycles, and the wind might just make waiting for the bus worthwhile!