Touring food

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gbnz

Re: Touring food

Post by gbnz »

Forget about cooked food and think out of the box. Use local shops and supermarkets enroute to pick up freshly baked bread, pies, cold meats, cheese, vegtables, fruit and cakes. Supplemented by an occasional cooked meal enroute and an emergency supply of healthy carbs (Cereal of some sort), I had no issue over 15 months eating such a diet (NB. Though had to ditch the expresso pot and cofffee grinder and took a selection of single source teas instead)
dodger

Post by dodger »

I carry 2 expedition meal-in-a-bag sachets that just need boiling water, but only for emergencies. Ditto a supply of "trail mix" because it's high in calories per weight. Quick cook porage/porridge is good for lasting energy but nothing beats freshly cooked fish and chips or a real cornish pasty.
Tins are too heavy, unless using them soon. Individual coffee sachets or coffee bags are handy.
I have tried not carrying a stove and pans, just cold food and whatever I can buy on the day and it certainly saves on weight. It costs more and is less attractive in sparsely populated areas, but it is my preference.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I still have a copy of Cooking On The Road (ISBN 0-89037-200-4) which dates from 1980. It assumes a single burner and includes several chapters on how to do it and a ton of rather good recipes. It's been the backbone of my camping food for decades. Nowadays I tend to give the whole idea a swerve by the simple tactic of going to France, where good food is all around.
EDIT: ...and an Aeropress!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

When I'm touring I follow a see-food diet.

If I see food, I eat it. :)
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Simon,

Might you be persuaded to sell your food on the road book?

:)
whoof

Post by whoof »

ultraburner wrote:Simon,

Might you be persuaded to sell your food on the road book?

:)

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping-recipes
Free books!
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Whoof: you forgot to mention the Andrex ..............................
whoof

Post by whoof »

Morzedec wrote:Whoof: you forgot to mention the Andrex ..............................

It's quite tasteless and very low in nutrients. I would recommend cooking something else.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Golden Veg type Rice packet, as the water is absorbing throw in a piece of white fish... to cook through.... it does break up a bit but makes a good fish kedgeree.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Whoof, hello,

No, silly - it's for afterwards. But then, you knew that all along, and for once were being as daft as I hope to be on this forum, to try and 'lighten up' a lot of the self-imposed seriousness.

You know, all the posts that start with 'I think' ...., when thoughts are not facts.

Happy days,
Attachments
Fat-free cycling breakfast..jpg
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Morzedec wrote:Whoof, hello,

No, silly - it's for afterwards. But then, you knew that all along, and for once were being as daft as I hope to be on this forum, to try and 'lighten up' a lot of the self-imposed seriousness.

You know, all the posts that start with 'I think' ...., when thoughts are not facts.

Happy days,

That's not so much touring food as touring Greece/grease.
John
whoof

Post by whoof »

Morzedec wrote:Whoof, hello,

Happy days,

That looks disgusting, why do people insist on putting tinned tomatoes on a perfectly good cooked breakfast?
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

For the first night on tour I try and take a frozen home made casserole/curry/stew. This defrosts during the day and is simply heated up at the end of the day and provides a tasty filling meal.
For breakfasts I take oats, dried milk, and dried fruit. This makes a good porridge an alternative to oats is museli.
For dinner* I take flat breads, cheese, jam, peanut butter, salami, pate.
For tea* I have tinned fish (tuna, sardines, salmon) tomatoe sauces flavoured with chilli, and pasta. Grated cheese will also add flavour. I will often add a carrot for a bit of variety. As an alternative Chorizo can be used instead of fish, and sometimes I will have rice instead of Pasta. Cuppa soup is a quick addition to add some extra nourishment. Any leftovers can be eaten for the next day's dinner.

All the above is suplimented with biscuits and cake throughout the day and evenings.
Apples are the only fresh fruit I will carry with me, but if I can buy fresh on route I will.

Using a pot cosy increases the choice of meals by allowing two things at once to be cooked or kept warm at once.

I can fit 5 days of food into my front pannier based on the above menu.

If there are cafes, pubs, restaurants, chippies, takeaways etc on route then I will make use of them.

* I am northern so eat breakfast, dinner and tea !
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mr.Benton wrote:For the first night on tour I try and take a frozen home made casserole/curry/stew. This defrosts during the day and is simply heated up at the end of the day and provides a tasty filling meal.
For breakfasts I take oats, dried milk, and dried fruit. This makes a good porridge an alternative to oats is museli.
For dinner* I take flat breads, cheese, jam, peanut butter, salami, pate.
For tea* I have tinned fish (tuna, sardines, salmon) tomatoe sauces flavoured with chilli, and pasta. Grated cheese will also add flavour. I will often add a carrot for a bit of variety. As an alternative Chorizo can be used instead of fish, and sometimes I will have rice instead of Pasta. Cuppa soup is a quick addition to add some extra nourishment. Any leftovers can be eaten for the next day's dinner.

All the above is suplimented with biscuits and cake throughout the day and evenings.
Apples are the only fresh fruit I will carry with me, but if I can buy fresh on route I will.

Using a pot cosy increases the choice of meals by allowing two things at once to be cooked or kept warm at once.

I can fit 5 days of food into my front pannier based on the above menu.

If there are cafes, pubs, restaurants, chippies, takeaways etc on route then I will make use of them.

You've obviously seen my repertoire! Except at breakfast I have dried fruit, sometimes orange juice, oatcakes, peanut butter. Plus coffee. Did I say coffee?
John
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mr.Benton wrote:

My Grandmother was born 10 miles from the most Southerly point in mainland Britain and ate breakfast, dinner and tea all her life. I had to move more than a hundred miles Northern East before I encountered many people eating lunch.
It's a myth that breakfast, dinner and tea is a Northern thing. There are plenty of people in Harrogate and Edinburgh eating lunch and loads in South Wales and the South West of England having their tea.