Easyjet and CTC Bags

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nancy North

Easyjet and CTC Bags

Post by Nancy North »

[color=#0000FF]I am having difficulty contacting Easyjet for confirmation of their policy on the use of CTC (strong plastic) bike bags. We have never had problems using them to fly from the UK but this is the first time from a French airport - Bordeaux. I have seen posts on this site from 2014 about Bordeaux airport's acceptance of these bags which were a little indeterminate and now out of date. So, please does anyone have communication this year from Easyjet about their 'CTC bag policy' and/or has anyone had experience of the Easyjet check in at Bordeaux and their attitude towards said bags. By the way, the flight back was in reaction to Brittany Ferries recent announcement that they are currently neither taking foot passengers nor cyclists aboard their ferries - our usual and preferred hassle -free way to return.
jk49

Re: Easyjet and CTC Bags

Post by jk49 »

This may (not?) be of any relevance to your particular situation, but might give you an idea or two.
I travelled with Easyjet hrough Gatwick at the end of Feb this year with my bike wrapped in a CTC polybag. I had taken the precaution of printing the Easyjet bike policy found on their website, and also the page on wiggle where you can buy the bags, to explain that the polybag is indeed a bikebag.
The Easyjet supervisor insisted that I pay £25 for an additional polywrap at a nearby concession, which I refused. I showed them their policy and said I was happy to sign a disclaimer. After lots of twoing and froing, they just kind of lost interest. We then took the bike to the outsize luggage place, where it was sent on its way without even a raised eyebrow!
It all felt a bit like the easyjet staff on that shift were getting a kickback from the polywrap stall, so anyone reading this, please stick to your guns and make sure you have copy of their own policy.
On the way home from La Palma, not Bordeaux, we had to show them the easyjet policy again and also sign a disclaimer. No suggestion of polywrap this time. The bike was well treated on both journeys and arrived undamaged.
I think the moral of this tale is to have the print out of their policy to hand, and be ready to argue your case.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Officially (well pre plague anyway) Easyjet accepted poly bags. However, there are a few reports at far away airports of staff refusing them, even with the above mentioned email in hand. Do a search on this forum for a few good, bad and ugly stories.

I flew Southend to Jersey return with Easyjet and poly bag about 4 years ago, other times outbound only, I used a box.
Nancy North

Post by Nancy North »

Thanks for the responses so far. We have copied the policy and the Wiggle screenshot of CTC page. Not ever had problem with CTC bags at Bristol though they insisted on jamming my bike in the X ray machine on one occasion. I have found and will print out the same Wiggle page on their French website so easily understandable and will prepare vocab to say it is permitted/ these are suitable for planes/ we flew out using one/ please can I speak to you manager etc, but it would be most reassuring to hear that Bordeaux check in won't kick off. Thanks anyway.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Nancy, additionally to what I have already said, I have a Groundeffect Body Bag. They are from NZ and are pucker bike bags. Unfortunately they are a bit bulky and expensive (£100 ish), but should be accepted by all airlines. I've taken to carrying it around on some trips as a fall back if I can't get a cardboard box. It saved me on a recent trip to Japan.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There's another thread on this in the none-too-distant past if you search, I believe. Bottom line from that thread, IIRC, is that whatever policy the airline has, you're ultimately in the hands of (at the mercy of?) the ground handlers and their views of what constitutes appropriate packaging.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

simonhill wrote:Nancy, additionally to what I have already said, I have a Groundeffect Body Bag. They are from NZ and are pucker bike bags. Unfortunately they are a bit bulky and expensive (£100 ish), but should be accepted by all airlines. I've taken to carrying it around on some trips as a fall back if I can't get a cardboard box. It saved me on a recent trip to Japan.

Do you mean Ground Effect Dogsbody bag? https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... t-bike-bag
Richard M
Cardiff
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

richardfm wrote:
simonhill wrote:Nancy, additionally to what I have already said, I have a Groundeffect Body Bag. They are from NZ and are pucker bike bags. Unfortunately they are a bit bulky and expensive (£100 ish), but should be accepted by all airlines. I've taken to carrying it around on some trips as a fall back if I can't get a cardboard box. It saved me on a recent trip to Japan.

Do you mean Ground Effect Dogsbody bag? https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... t-bike-bag

Yes that's it, although the name on the carry bag mine is in says "Body Bag". Maybe some found that name unacceptable.

Re check in staff for airlines. I agree that they always have the final say and can be a problem at any airport. Previous threads have highlighted this a number of times.