Europe is open - who's going?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ossie

Re: Europe is open - who's going?

Post by ossie »

Will try and pop over to France for a tour once I work out how the municipal camp sites are coping with the situation.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Hoping to get to France sometime in August or early September, but it really depends on the ability to get across the channel. I'm not going to fly so it needs to be a ferry, but it's still a fluid situation over which ferry companies will carry cyclists. Hoping that Brittany Ferries will reverse their decision to ban cyclists sometime this month.

We're likely to find a B&B or two and spent a week/10 days doing day rides. I think from a COVID perspective it's better to stay in one place for a while rather than move on each day. No need to go shopping every day, reduced interactions with people and so on.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

robing wrote:
ChrisF wrote:
Graham wrote:By bike ? Car ? Bike on car ? Car on bike (trailer) ?

Bike in campervan! Though if they change the rules before I go, I may just take the bike

Bike in vehicle, that's not a bad idea. It's not really proper cycle touring but does give you the chance to get out of Dodge if it goes Tango Uniform again.

Do you have to wear a face mask?
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

Apologies for being lazy and not checking yet but have brittany ferries banned sole travellers with just a bicycle? :(

Hmm just checked and no cycle option for santander,didnt check any other routes though,
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Someone posted on another thread that if you check the French language site, you can select 'bicyclette'. I checked and it works.

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr

Have they actually posted information somewhere that bicycles are not allowed?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hamster

Post by hamster »

thornie1543 wrote:Apologies for being lazy and not checking yet but have brittany ferries banned sole travellers with just a bicycle? :(

Hmm just checked and no cycle option for santander,didnt check any other routes though,

Correct, not taking bookings for bikes or foot passengers.
scribes

Post by scribes »

We're off to France for three weeks end of next month but only if the Bike Express goes.
robertsurtees

Post by robertsurtees »

I have a return crossing booked with Stena for mid August and I haven't heard from Stena that there is a problem. Also have a B&B booked in the Netherlands although without breakfast. I had a brief email with the owner the other and that's all ok. I'm optimistic and looking forward. I hope it doesn't rain but only because I will want to eat outside! Normally its because prefer not to ride in the rain but right now I'd get wet every day just to go for a cycling holuday.
robertsurtees

Post by robertsurtees »

I should have said that my ferry booking is for cyclists but I think I'll check with Stena!
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

The thing i don't understand about not excepting foot/bike bookings is if on the ferry to spain for instance are they expecting all the people to sit in their vehicles for 24hrs of the crossing? when all those people get out of their cars and go into the ferry what difference would it make from a foot passenger/cyclist? .Except the part where they can keep people in their cars before boarding of course,but when they park and get out its all the same isnt it.oh well.
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

robertsurtees wrote:I have a return crossing booked with Stena for mid August and I haven't heard from Stena that there is a problem. Also have a B&B booked in the Netherlands although without breakfast. I had a brief email with the owner the other and that's all ok. I'm optimistic and looking forward. I hope it doesn't rain but only because I will want to eat outside! Normally its because prefer not to ride in the rain but right now I'd get wet every day just to go for a cycling holuday.

same here - i'm booked to come back hook to harwich on the 30th july i think it is

was able to book with bicycle ok last week and not been told there is a problem so far
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

thornie1543 wrote:The thing i don't understand about not excepting foot/bike bookings is if on the ferry to spain for instance are they expecting all the people to sit in their vehicles for 24hrs of the crossing? when all those people get out of their cars and go into the ferry what difference would it make from a foot passenger/cyclist? .Except the part where they can keep people in their cars before boarding of course,but when they park and get out its all the same isnt it.oh well.

this is my downfall at times as well - i apply logic to a situation and expect others to
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe it is how they get the foot passengers to the ferry that is the concern. Bus or walkway may be hard (in their eyes) to control. Still it doesn't explain cyclists, but perhaps they lump all people who use legs all in together.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

At this point I would not leave my own country. Things are still too volatile and the rules are changing everyday. 1 day things are fine, the next, there is a 14 day quarantine
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
hamster

Post by hamster »

thornie1543 wrote:The thing i don't understand about not excepting foot/bike bookings is if on the ferry to spain for instance are they expecting all the people to sit in their vehicles for 24hrs of the crossing? when all those people get out of their cars and go into the ferry what difference would it make from a foot passenger/cyclist? .Except the part where they can keep people in their cars before boarding of course,but when they park and get out its all the same isnt it.oh well.

The reason is limited accommodation capacity. Reserved seating and cabins only, no casual mooching in the cafeteria etc. Reserved seating is also half empty for distancing. So, who do they want to sell the ticket to? Answer, somebody who is also paying for a car, PLUS it solves problems with distancing and sanitising in waiting areas, embarkation etc. There may also be a customs / immigration factor, may not be manned for the same distancing reasons.