Advice on Morecambe Bay Cycleway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Advice on Morecambe Bay Cycleway

Post by PAB855 »

Planning very far ahead.

I would appreciate comments and advice on tackling some of this route. Our previous experience of Sustrans means preparation is essential. We have found a cycle path on one of their maps is non existent. My wife has a recumbent trike ( ICE Adventure) and we are in our 80s, but a few years ago were hampered on the Ballachulish to Duror section near the Holly Tree Restuarant because the path ramped up so steeply, she had to dismount and struggle up and through the gate by pulling herself hand over hand grabbing at the wooden fence. Sustrans had nothing on their route map to highlight this.

Recently, due to the restrictions on travel, we have been cycling from home using local minor roads rather than heading for cycle paths car assisted and finding it better in some ways, mainly not having to cope with gates, barriers, widely varied surfaces and restricted room for a trike. We have found in the main, that motorists hold back more and pass wider when they come up behind us. Maybe it won't last, but the quieter roads have made our outings much more enjoyable.

Getting back to the reason for this posting ie this cycleway .

Are there parts needing special care, busy road sections, narrow sections more suited to two wheels or anything else we should be aware of?

In particular, steep hills need respect! Is the section from Low Wood via White Gate the hardest part of the route and how steep is it?

We would probably not be keen to explore each end of the route, but are interested in the part from Ulverston to Carnforth.

Any information would be helpful.

Cheers
PAB855

Re: Advice on Morecambe Bay Cycleway

Post by PAB855 »

Just found excellent website.

Bay Cycle Way/cycle.travel

I have never come across anything remotely as comprehensive as this.

What a find.

Any comments still welcome, but this has given me hope that at long last, somebody knows exactly how to do an excellent job.

Cheers
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

This is a good route, relatively level apart from one unexpected hill between Cartmel and Grange over Sands. It’s not long nor particularly steep but it catches you by surprise as you ride through woodland. Most of the Route is undulating with some flat sections around Meathrop, Milnthorpe And Morecambe. Lots of places to eat in normal circumstances. The description on cycle.travel is good.
PitPony

Post by PitPony »

I have ridden this route (in parts at different times).
It is generally flat/slightly undulating.
There is a hill between Ulverston and Greenodd which I chose to avoid by taking the A590 instead. I wouldn’t recommend this for a trike or for anyone uncomfortable with fast traffic.
The off-road section between Greenodd and Low Wood I remember as being a bit rough and I can’t remember it being too narrow or obstacles.
I also avoided the Hill at Low Wood by taking the B5278. I found this ok.
There is also a short off-road stretch between Millside and Levens which I remember as fairly narrow and don’t know if it would present a problem for a trike.
The rest of the route should be ok and I found it a really pleasant ride, and hope to do it again in the future.
Perhaps someone local could give advice on the 2 off-road sections and whether they present difficulty/obstacles for a trike.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

That's good advice from you both and just what we were looking for.

Many thanks