Secure Vehicle Parking?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MJNGP

Secure Vehicle Parking?

Post by MJNGP »

Hi..,
My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, however my search of the topic has come up with very little.
How have others managed the difficulty of securely parking a vehicle whilst on a week long cycle tour. Living in the far SW of the country means we need to travel to a start point, but as a family of 4, the option of using rail is out of the question. We could possibly leave with family/friends, however most live fairly close by anyway.
I guess my question is has anyone got any tips on leaving your vehicle at a start/finish point of a ride, for a week, AND finding it still there when you get back?
Thanks.
ncutler

Re: Secure Vehicle Parking?

Post by ncutler »

You might like to have a look at: https://www.justpark.com/

People allow parking in their drives, fees are usually much less than public car parks, you can communicate with the drive owners and many of them are happy to keep an eye on things. I use this quite often when parking near rail stations and so far have found it works very well.
No pasaran
rjb

Post by rjb »

When you have a starting point ask on this forum for local knowledge of secure places to leave a vehicle.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Ask on here and someone local to start may have a drive you can use for free, or know of a local road that is OK to use, or which local paid for parking is good (or not).
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I can second JustPark. Used it twice during our Holland trips when leaving car at Harwich.

We also ask campsites if they know anywhere. This sometimes leads them to offer a space. Otherwise look for a village rather than a town. Find a spot that is no causing an obstruction but is in clear view. We put the bike carriers in the boot to make it less obvious what we are doing.

Also used airbnb on first night and they have been helpful in finding a spot too.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We have done this a few times in the past, usually finding somewhere to drive to stay overnight for our first night and book in for the last night, that way they know you are coming back. Then ask if you can leave the car at the venue for the week / fortnight. We done this at a couple of campsites and at a YHA in the past.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Depends where you are going of course but most areas you would want to go for a cycle tour have a small town that you can easily just park your car on a residential street and leave it for a week with no problems.
Syd

Post by Syd »

+1 for Just Park. I used it in London for my L2P trip.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Probably going to be plenty of space in airport car parks this summer...