Pot Luck Delay in Renewing Passports

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: Pot Luck Delay in Renewing Passports

Postby nirakaro » 22 Jul 2020, 11:50am

PDQ Mobile wrote:
nirakaro wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The real and important question is why is it so slow?
What possible reason?

It's part of the Home Office. What more do you need to know. :x

Sounds like you've given up expecting the Govt to attempt some service and responsibility to it's citizens (and paymasters).
It's an ever more common and apathetic attitude, sadly.

(This is not personal criticism just an observation.)

I think you’re conflating two different meanings of ‘expect’ here – what I think they should do, and what I think they will do. My post referred to the latter. I’m sure I’m just as contemptuous as you are of our rulers, but ranting about it on forums like this doesn’t achieve anything at all.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 22 Jul 2020, 1:17pm

nirakaro wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
nirakaro wrote:It's part of the Home Office. What more do you need to know. :x

Sounds like you've given up expecting the Govt to attempt some service and responsibility to it's citizens (and paymasters).
It's an ever more common and apathetic attitude, sadly.

(This is not personal criticism just an observation.)

I think you’re conflating two different meanings of ‘expect’ here – what I think they should do, and what I think they will do. My post referred to the latter. I’m sure I’m just as contemptuous as you are of our rulers, but ranting about it on forums like this doesn’t achieve anything at all.

Still better a good rant than just lay down and acquiesce!!
Accepting bad and corrupt Govt is the road to a place I (We?) do not want to go?

Actually ranting is something rather different.
And you never know though, on small forums like this reasonable questions may just bring a little pressure.

I asked the pertinent question " why does it take so long" and more interestingly "what are the checks required for a simple renewal?"
They are not checking for Russian involvement or dirty finance that's for sure!!

Perhaps you know an answer?
Now that would be getting somewhere.

ChrisF

Postby ChrisF » 24 Jul 2020, 12:59pm

mjr wrote:Backlog hits 400'000 says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53494998

I saw this coming and applied for mine early in lockdown, although it didn't expire until mid-January. It took only 10 days and most of that time was because I had to re-send my photo several times (tip: if you wear glasses, take them off for your photo; without a professional studio I think it's impossible to avoid reflections which the system won't accept).
Interestingly my new passport was the same burgundy colour, not the new dark blue (although lacking the EU bit :( ).
Chris F, Cornwall

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 24 Jul 2020, 3:35pm

My wife eventually received her new passport today. I was expecting it to be blue but it's closer to black. Maybe it's a sign of mourning for leaving the EU :lol: :lol:

borisface

Postby borisface » 8 Oct 2020, 9:44am

I live abroad and my passport is due to run out in January. I applied for a passport renewal online on 24 September and had to send my old passport back to the UK. There were dire warnings of long delays on the government website. I have just received an email from the passport office to say it was being dispatched today. So my experience was a good one - under 3 weeks.

However a Japanese friend's passport was due to expire and she was told to report to the local Japanese embassy where they issued her a new 10 year passport there and then.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 8 Oct 2020, 10:12am

borisface wrote:I live abroad and my passport is due to run out in January. I applied for a passport renewal online on 24 September and had to send my old passport back to the UK. There were dire warnings of long delays on the government website. I have just received an email from the passport office to say it was being dispatched today. So my experience was a good one - under 3 weeks.

However a Japanese friend's passport was due to expire and she was told to report to the local Japanese embassy where they issued her a new 10 year passport there and then.

Yes exactly.
You were three weeks "passportless".
And you were "abroad", exactly where you need it most.

To be "passportless" entails problems from mild inconvenience to real difficulty.

If one needs continuity then one should be able to get it.
I pay (handsomely) for a ten year passport, not for a nine years and 40 something weeks one!

No reason why the UK couldn't do the same service as your Japanese friend as fas as I can see?
Did hers cost more?

borisface

Postby borisface » 8 Oct 2020, 4:10pm

Yes I completely agree with you PDQ. My friend's Japanese passport was actually a bit cheaper but it does look a bit like something made by hello kitty! I hoping mine will be an old EU style. If it's blue I might have to get a cover for it.

Si

Postby Si » 8 Oct 2020, 8:28pm

Renewed mine the other week, only took about 7 days. I now have a nice European blue one rather than the old British red one :wink:

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 9 Oct 2020, 7:36am

Si wrote:Renewed mine the other week, only took about 7 days. I now have a nice European blue one rather than the old British red one :wink:

Might be the only benefit you get from Brexit :lol:

climo

Postby climo » 10 Oct 2020, 2:30pm

My wife's a non EU citizen and needs to renew her UK visa. Applied in July as it ran out in Sept. All immigrants have had their visa automatically extended due to the Home Office thank god as there is no sign of it yet. It's a simple renewal and applied for online. Cost is just under £2k + NHS contribution (travel ins is way cheaper but there's no option). Cost of issuing a visa is £243
Before people start to say "yeah but they get government benefits" that's fake news and put about by Farage, etc. She gets zero, nothing, zilch. Not even a bus pass. If I die my pension dies with me so she's penniless. It's called "No recourse to public funds" and is written right across her UK visa. All non EU immigrants are the same even if they become UK citizens. If I die before she's a UK citizen they'll chuck her out.
Oh and her mums just died but if she leaves the UK to see her family she can't come back as her visa has expired through no fault of her own and she has to start from the beginning again as you can't apply from within the UK. Of course you lose your £2k.

This is Theresa May's "hostile to immigration" policy. Patel is worse imo.
Welcome to the tories new UK. It's shocking.