Route to Aviemore NCN77/7 Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
igauk

Route to Aviemore NCN77/7 Advice

Post by igauk »

Now that it looks like our annual Highland holiday next week can go ahead I'm thinking of making up for the lack of audaxes by cycling up. I'd originally thought of doing it as an overnighter from Glasgow, but given the lack of serious miles in the legs, getting a train to say Sterling, Gleneagles or Perth would make a more manageable day ride.

The last leg from Newtonmore I know well from various Corrieyairack Challenges, ditto the roads around Auchterarder, it's the bits in between north of Perth I'm not familiar with. Anyone been up the NCN77/7 recently? I've read past reports of dodgy surfaces, problems with works associated with dualing the A9, NCN's 'interesting diversions' etc. I'd be on my Moulton with 28mm road tyres. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Moulton TSR 30
Paulatic

Re: Route to Aviemore NCN77/7 Advice

Post by Paulatic »

Route 77 out of Dunkeld is good now

quote="keithg"]
Paulatic wrote:At Dunkeld is that route 77 coming out? I wonder what the current situation is with the surface there. I think I’ve read it can be MtB territory.

This bit of NCN77 just N of Dunkeld was resurfaced last year and is now VG, it’s also a very scenic stretch too.[/quote]

Perth North is a lovely ride. In good weather anyways :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

If you take the train to Dunblane, Gleneagles or Auchterarder you could go via Crieff and the Sma' Glen to Dunkeld. It adds on about 15 miles but is a more interesting route than the one from Perth - the Sma' Glen is a gem and the gradients are gentle.
igauk

Post by igauk »

Thanks both, train to Gleneagles then north via Sma' Glen sounds good. Glad to hear a bit of resurfacing has been going on!
Moulton TSR 30
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Have you checked your trains? Even though we are now in Phase 3, Scotrail is still saying essential travel only: "The Government has made it clear that public transport should be used by those making necessary journeys only, so our staff and passengers can maintain a physical distance from each other in our stations and on trains. Please don’t travel if your journey isn’t a necessary one."

At least with a Moulton you can turn up and try your luck - we want to take our bikes to Rannoch in a couple of weeks but bicycle booking doesn't seem to be operating. :(
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Edited - duplicate post.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

LollyKat wrote:Have you checked your trains? Even though we are now in Phase 3, Scotrail is still saying essential travel only: "The Government has made it clear that public transport should be used by those making necessary journeys only, so our staff and passengers can maintain a physical distance from each other in our stations and on trains. Please don’t travel if your journey isn’t a necessary one."

At least with a Moulton you can turn up and try your luck - we want to take our bikes to Rannoch in a couple of weeks but bicycle booking doesn't seem to be operating. :(

Hmmm... I was thinking of a jaunt up to scotland in the next couple of weeks. I'm ok to get to glasgow and was hoping to use a train to get down to Wemyss bay. Are the staff actually implementing this policy ? My experience down in SE england is that everything is fine as long as you pop a mask on. Any updates from our scottish correspondents would be welcome .
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

At least you don't need to book your bike on that service, and in any case Wemyss bay is not that far from Glasgow. We're aiming at Kinloch Rannoch, and although my husband could do it, or so he thinks, I definitely couldn't!
igauk

Post by igauk »

As of today ScotRail bike reservations (or any type of seat reservation) are still not possible online or by phone. BTW if you call, after a lengthy Covid preamble and info on refunds the system sounds like it gives you the usual options of press 1 for a booking, 2 for reservations etc. But none of these are working (which you only find out after you've pressed them and have been chucked out the system). The only functioning option is 3 speak to an advisor. Anyway, when I got through there wasn't an issue about it being essential travel or not and bikes are turn up and 'first come first served'. We've now got the 'Take Five for Tourism' promotion including 'Take a trip out' and 'Book a Staycation' so I'm presuming, with the necessary precautions, train travel is okay. Perhaps they're limiting ticket sales or something, but on our local lines there's no blocking off seats etc.
Moulton TSR 30
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Many thanks - that's really helpful. I'll try phoning the advisor and see what they say. We have a choice of routes, Glasgow-Rannoch (preferred) or Glasgow-Pitlochry, and on both of those you have to book bike spaces. Otherwise it's £250 + petrol for van hire compared to £47.50 return for two adults with railcards by train!