Newbie Advice for relaxed diy touring geometry - best way to raise handlebars by 10cm?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Glumbags

Newbie Advice for relaxed diy touring geometry - best way to raise handlebars by 10cm?

Post by Glumbags »

IMG_20200712_172450563.jpg
Hi again everyone.
I have an old steel Saracen Powertrax Tange MTB which I've decided to keep. Thanks for all the previous advice on this everyone!
Yesterday, I went through a DIY bike fitting guide by Ergotec and made all the adjustments to the saddle height and fore/aft position...much better.
My handlesbars however are coming in too low and definitely need raising by around 10cm.
What's the best way to raise them? Looking for a permanent solution that will last.

The frame size btw is 44cm/17.5 inches...I'm 5ft 8" or 176cm.

Not sure if the frame might be a tad small? Raise the bars and I think it could be perfect for all my riding needs though.
Spa cycles told me that I'd be a 52cm on a Surly LHT.
Cheers in advance everyone
Last edited by Glumbags on 12 Jul 2020, 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Newbie Advice for relaxed diy touring geometry - best way to raise handlebars by 10cm?

Post by Jdsk »

Could you add a photo of your handlebars?

Jonathan
Glumbags

Re: Newbie Advice for relaxed diy touring geometry - best way to raise handlebars by 10cm?

Post by Glumbags »

Jdsk wrote:Could you add a photo of your handlebars?

Jonathan

There you go Jonathan...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A 17 or 25degree angked stem and or riser 'bars would help.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

In extremis you can get an aheadset adaptor which clamps to the existing aheadset and gives you a new, raised clamping surface. May be cheaper than a new stem, assuming you are happy with your reach.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aheadse ... e&ie=UTF-8
Glumbags

Post by Glumbags »

reohn2 wrote:A 17 or 25degree angked stem and or riser 'bars would help.

cheers reohn2
Glumbags

Post by Glumbags »

Bonefishblues wrote:In extremis you can get an aheadset adaptor which clamps to the existing aheadset and gives you a new, raised clamping surface. May be cheaper than a new stem, assuming you are happy with your reach.

Thanks Bonefishblues
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

For 100mm I'd look at stem risers.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Glumbags wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:In extremis you can get an aheadset adaptor which clamps to the existing aheadset and gives you a new, raised clamping surface. May be cheaper than a new stem, assuming you are happy with your reach.

Thanks Bonefishblues

Remember because frame angle the bars will come back towards you slightly.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

This is the neatest looking extender, it fits internally to the steerer tube , it looks more like 75mm than 100mm from the picture, has anyone got one they could measure ? Spa would tell you the length if not. You need the 1 1/8'' option (BHP-21). I'm not sure how you adjust the headset with this type though...?
When I've been messing about with handlebar positions in the past , I've found it helpful to draw out a full size side view of the steerer tube, stem and bars to see what effect any changes of steerer length, stem length/angle etc are going to have on the final bar position.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m9b0s88p298 ... be-Adapter
Nu-Fogey
irc

Post by irc »

There is a calculator where you can input stem length and angle and get bar position relative to another combination.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
Glumbags

Post by Glumbags »

irc wrote:There is a calculator where you can input stem length and angle and get bar position relative to another combination.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Cheers irc
Glumbags

Post by Glumbags »

colin54 wrote:This is the neatest looking extender, it fits internally to the steerer tube , it looks more like 75mm than 100mm from the picture, has anyone got one they could measure ? Spa would tell you the length if not. You need the 1 1/8'' option (BHP-21). I'm not sure how you adjust the headset with this type though...?
When I've been messing about with handlebar positions in the past , I've found it helpful to draw out a full size side view of the steerer tube, stem and bars to see what effect any changes of steerer length, stem length/angle etc are going to have on the final bar position.

Thanks for that Colin. I'll call them tomorrow. I am actually wondering whether the frame 17.5" is a bit too small. The saddle is now positioned as far back as it can go...might I be better off just buying a 20" MTB steel framer? You obviously know a bit about this. Any advice/online reading etc.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m9b0s88p298 ... be-Adapter
Glumbags

Post by Glumbags »

Remember because frame angle the bars will come back towards you slightly.[/quote]

That's a great point.
This is why my saddle is now positioned as far back as it will go after my Ergotec adjustments. It's also why I'm starting to wonder whether the frame might after all be just too small.
Wouldn't a 19 or 20" steel MTB framer give me more room than the current 17.5".
As I've gotten fitter from riding everywhere I've noticed that on the longer rides I'm really struggling to get comfortable...frame geometry?
All a learning curve for me...any advice on this? Cheers