How Are UK Campsites Since Re-opening on 4th July?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

How Are UK Campsites Since Re-opening on 4th July?

Post by simonhill »

Earlier comments on this over a number of posts worried about campsites being van/caravan only (own facilities) and a host of other possible problems. What have people found so far?

Here are my experiences, albeit all in my VW campervan.

4th July - my regular fairly local very basic site was still closed because the owner said that because of the lockdown he had put the field to hay (he's also a farmer) and due to wet weather couldn't cut it. He planned to cut it that wekend and said he would then be welcoming back his regulars. Hope to go this weekend.

11th July (2 nights). Small C&CC site in Essex. Fully open, but only about 3 of us there. No sign of restrictions, with the 2 toilets (M&F) open and no sanitising. The owner said that the C&CC had cancelled a 35 unit rally that weekend. None of them turned up on their own, which seemed odd to me.

16th July (5 nights) A large family site, not a million miles from lockdown Leicester. The website said there would be double spacing and no showers. No double spacing and by Saturday it was pretty full. No real social distancing by many campers when using toilets, washing and washing up facilities, etc. Also lots of kids running around and intermingling. The showers were initially open, but closed on Sunday morning. The only Covid thing I could see apart from closed showers was a screen at shop/check in. Much quieter before and after weekend.

I saw no restrictions on tents or a requirement for your own facilities at either campsite I stayed at.
Oldjohnw

Re: How Are UK Campsites Since Re-opening on 4th July?

Post by Oldjohnw »

The C and C Clubs I've tried are either closed to cyclists I less they carry a toilet in or the ones open will only let me go if I join. I sometimes think they are stitching up camping.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 25 Jul 2020, 4:01am, edited 1 time in total.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Well, as threatened, me and my chums spent the week-end in the camping field behind The Golden Swan, in Wilcot, near Pewsey. The field is big enough for everyone to successfully distance socially, both in the field, in the pub's garden and specially set up marquee and even in the ladies & gents' loos, shower & washroom, by the simple expedient of waiting patiently should the space required be busy... not perfect, but it worked.
The landlord and his family have a mixed reputation, with a ton of rather negative reviews to be found on line, whereas I find him slightly diffident, but perfectly polite, and once you get to know him, friendly. His home-made pizzas are not the most sophisticated I've ever had, for sure, but are tasty, filling and perfectly cooked in his specially built pizza oven in the garden.
At £7 per person, per night, I'm not complaining - his daughter quoted the kids at £7 a night for the two, whereas in the event, he decided not to charge for them at all. The lanes around The Vale of Pewsey are a fab place to cycle.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This our last night at a C&MH club site in SWScotland. There’s a band system to use the facilities and only one of each sex allowed in at any one time. It’s worked quite well and rarely seen a queue outside. That’s probably because people are using their own facilities a lot more.
It’s made us use ours a lot more than ever before. The first time we’ve ever used the shower in the van. It’s opened our eyes and will in future be staying at a lot more places without facilities.
The prime pitches here at Garlieston are on the harbour side and it’s been an education watching the tactics Motorhome users have used to obtain one. It’s been full all week but as we would normally never be away in July or August don’t know if it’s normal for July.
Locally the pub is doing a good trade and in Newton Stewart this morning shops also look as if they are getting trade. News item I watched this evening saying Scotland shops have seen a bigger increase in trade to England because of face covering rules.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

In the last 2 weeks I have stayed in 5 different 'Camping & Caravan Club' sites (exclusive to members) in my campervan. I have my own toilet and shower so don't need to use these shared facilities. I chose areas away from the most popular tourist areas, but where there was some interesting cycling to be done on quiet roads.
There is an enormous difference in how sites are treating the guidelines. Some have just closed the toilets, some allow ordinary use but have a bottle of hand sanitiser outside (no queues that I noticed but these are all very small sites); one site restricted the number of customers (vehicles) to the number of toilets/showers they have (3) and allocated each one accordingly.
I didn't see any cycle-tourists camping, but if you phone beforehand there's a good chance that sites will accept you.
Chris F, Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Been to the C&MC site at Sandringham, also in my Campervan. The site is fully open but there’s a limit of 2 in at a time for the toilet block. Every other shower, washroom and toilet cubicle is closed off and the urinals are not in use. The system doesn’t work that well. You can have 2 people taking a shower and no-one else is allowed in the whole block due to the 2 at a time rule, even just to use the loos, which would not be being used. This is all managed by each person having a wristband that they hang on a hook outside the toilet block. 2 wristbands and you can’t go in. Trouble is, people come out of the loo block and forget to take their wristband with them, so you are stood outside like a lemon whilst there’s only one or even no people in the toilet block.

Other than that, it was fine. Managed to ride 3 days out of 4 on the lovely Norfolk roads. Luckily the showers weren’t busy when we returned at 2-3pm each day, though they were often busy around breakfast time.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

My wife and I are running a small campsite, Mousehole Camping, in Cornwall for the season, as we couldn't do our usual european tour. We have reduced capacity, but toilets and showers open. Cleaning is rigorous, but on a small site we are generally letting people use their common sense re toilet and shower use - and most are sensible and respectful. We did have a few idiots immediately we opened, who had never been camping before and expected someone to clear up behind them, but it has settled down now. We are though completely fully booked until September, and could have sold every pitch five times over! Also noticing a fair number of cars and campervans turn up, notice there is a manned reception and scarper quickly - obviously looking for a free night or hot shower!

And a note - we do accept individual/couple cycletourers without bookings as we can squeeze them in where a full pitch won't go!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

The C and C Clubs I've tried are either closed to cyclists I less they carry a toilet in or the ones open will only let me go if I join. I sometimes think they are stitching up camping

Oldjohnw did you phone them first or just turn up? I'm hoping to use C&CC's own sites on a trip soon.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Slowroad wrote:
The C and C Clubs I've tried are either closed to cyclists I less they carry a toilet in or the ones open will only let me go if I join. I sometimes think they are stitching up camping

Oldjohnw did you phone them first or just turn up? I'm hoping to use C&CC's own sites on a trip soon.

I never went. I inquired online.
John
whoof

Post by whoof »

A colleague asked for site recommendations so I took a look art some I've used previously.
Polruan in Cornwall. Currently not accepting hikers or presumably touring cyclists. Minimum stay of three nights. Also no children.

Salcombe: Have closed the shower block but do provide outside showers. These are not in cubicles but are open air! Either wear your swimming trunks or give people a tale to tell over dinner for years to come.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Just got this reply from a campsite: "Midweek £25 per night, weekend £27 (single person). We have 4 pitches more suitable for tents - pea gravel on a sandy base. No grass pitches."
How on earth is pea gravel suitable for tents?? Never mind the price!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Slowroad wrote:Just got this reply from a campsite: "Midweek £25 per night, weekend £27 (single person). We have 4 pitches more suitable for tents - pea gravel on a sandy base. No grass pitches."

It's annoying but at one level understandable. They've lost half a season and can now only take reduced numbers and need extra work/costs.

Just think, you might have gone to Spain.
John
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

C&MHC site on Exmoor:
Encouraged to 'use own facilities' if possible, so used the chemical disposal for the first time. Unpleasant unventilated cubicle, floor spillage, high lift to the edge of the trough, splashing. ugh...
Band system for toilets/showers in theory a good idea, but in practice some people were confused or forgot...
Apart from the above, an excellent site.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Slowroad wrote:How on earth is pea gravel suitable for tents?? Never mind the price!

If you bring a tent carpet and a 15 cm thick inflatable mattress.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15985186/h ... lsrc=aw.ds
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Just got this reply from a campsite: "Midweek £25 per night, weekend £27 (single person). We have 4 pitches more suitable for tents - pea gravel on a sandy base. No grass pitches."

It's annoying but at one level understandable. They've lost half a season and can now only take reduced numbers and need extra work/costs.

Just think, you might have gone to Spain.

I understood from the website that it was their normal price for caravans, etc, so asked what they'd charge for just me and a bike and a small tent. They answer was the same - which some sites do, but others do reduce it a bit, or have a secret low price for cyclists. But I've never been quoted quite that much! I am happy to pay lots more than I used to, but not for lieing on gravel - I'm reminded of the story 'The Princess and the Pea'!
― Peter Golkin