Handlebar bag advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Handlebar bag advice

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
djb wrote:Not my personal experience at all so have to completely disagree. I've always found it to be complete second nature to always bring my hbag with me in a store or anywhere.

That's how we do it. The Ortlieb bags hang quite happily on shoulders, and they're sometimes there for long periods... see recent discussion of visiting museums, locking bikes etc.

Jonathan

Many museums, galleries, etc and even some large shops ban any bags being taken in. You have to leave in reception. Have you had any problems with this?

Never had an issue, just say its a camera bag - mine does usually have my camera in.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Another thumbs up for Ortlieb. I have puffed around with various bags over time and the Ortlieb is by far the best though not without compromises. With regards to security, having it in front of you is a good reminder and keeping a lock or the key step in there will help. Bumbags are prime pickpocket targets. Where it round the back and you can't see it, around the front and all sorts of tricks when interacting with others allow them access. As the Ortlieb opens away from your body (and handlebars) this makes it harder to open without you noticing. It also can't open against the wind coming towards you when cycling.

Other plus points:

- waterproof
- has a key clip and pocket inside
-holds its shape with no bulky structure inside
- Mounting seems bomb proof and can be used with an extension to push further out from bars

Downsides:

- expensive
-map pocket is extra £24
- strap needs to come off when cycling (if you know different, please tell me)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I got my first bar bag back in the 70's, hung off a wire frame with bungees to the front axle - worked great, easy to instal/remove the only issue was the bag itself was pretty horrible.

A couple of decades later i got my first 7 litre Ortlieb (i still have it, a MKII), held its shape, the mount allowed quick removal and it was/is waterproof! I did try one of their small 2 litre flap top bags - didn't work for me, not big enough! I then bought a 7 lite MKIV as the MKII was looking a bit tired and i'm looking at that as i type this - still looking good after 10 years. :D

I do use a camera insert to organise the contents, travel docs go underneath, wallet, phone, snacks, batteries etc in the main body, post cards/fliers between insert and rear wall of bag. On tour i use the latest 'clear' rubber map case which takes most maps ok although an untrimmed OS is a bit tight. My bags have the 'bedroll' straps but tbh i don't use them these days apart from for carrying a jacket off the bike.

I've played around with various bracket options, i hate the locking ones, heavy and whats the point when you want to take the bag off if you leave the bike anyway? so i use the basic Klickfix. I used to use an extension block so i could use bar top levers but i don't use that now as i can actually manage without the extra space.

Whilst if i was looking for new i'd still head for Ortlieb, i don't find the newer bags to be as user friendly but maybe thats just me used to my old skool kit.

As regards aero dynamics, a bar bag actually improves things as it hides a lot of the cables and other mess at the front, more like a useful fairing!

Lighting and barbags has always been a crash, but its not insurmountable and can be better or worse depending on your particular bike and bar set up.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Thehairs1970 wrote:- strap needs to come off when cycling (if you know different, please tell me)

It can be run under the bag and snugged up short but tbh its not a big deal to fit/remove :wink:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thehairs1970 wrote:- strap needs to come off when cycling (if you know different, please tell me)

I put the strap, still attached, inside the bag and close the lid.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
djb

Post by djb »

I keep it attached, but put it inside the bag folded at the bottom closest to me. A bit of a nuisance but generally ok if I tuck it all under my stuff in that part of the X divider I've always used.
Divider isnt perfect but not bad. Allows for four seperate areas to keep stuff from spilling into each other. I always put the same stuff in each section so makes it easy to get a specific thing, and I'm also able to put my tablet in one area closest to me, and my pt and shoot in the forward one. Two side ones have sunscreen, reading glasses, seat rain cover blah blah blah and more or less stay in place.
X divider can shift upwards a bit, but liveable, and easy to remove if you want to use the whole thing for more bulky stuff.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:

I put the strap, still attached, inside the bag and close the lid.

One of us detaches the strap, folds it neatly, and puts it in the bag. The other leaves it attached, stuffs it inside, and squeezes the sides of the bag over it.

Jonathan
robing

Post by robing »

I've had the Topeak compact handlebar bag for many years and been very pleased with it. As the name suggests, it's small. It takes my phone, wallet, passport, keys and a few small items. And has a strap to convert to a bum bag.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Thanks for all the advice. For me I would want it to carry things I need for the day (snacks), things I don’t want to lose (prescription pills, bank card, phone) but probably not a lot else. I take the point about tools but tubes, tyre levers and a multitool could go in it too rather than buried in a pannier.
It doesn’t have to be a bar bag but I have a small frame bag (from Lidl) and even that gets in the way.

I like the idea of being able to look at a map or route notes as I ride but on this trip I think I will need to invest in a gps to see me through some of the complicated byways in Cornwall and Devon.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

If you only want to carry a few items, a top-tube bag (tri-bag) might suit. I use an Apidura one like this.

https://www.condorcycles.com/collection ... -tube-pack

I use one for day rides. The 1L version easily holds my smartphone, 4 energy bars, camera, cash, paper maps. Condor do a smaller version, and Carradice do one which is a bit bigger. I like this style of bag, it is easy to access it whilst cycling. Held on with velcro straps, so it is easy to swop between bikes, and doesn't need a bracket.
Last edited by PaulS on 15 Aug 2020, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brianjeff50 wrote:For me I would want it to carry things I need for the day (snacks), things I don’t want to lose (prescription pills, bank card, phone) but probably not a lot else. I take the point about tools but tubes, tyre levers and a multitool could go in it too rather than buried in a pannier.

That's pretty clear. With that specification you don't need a particularly big bag.

But you will have to work out where to put the lights and gadgets, see above. I'll try and get some photos of our current arrangements. Anyone else?

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m not up to date with current trends so apologies if this has been asked before.

I’m just changing over my old Topeak bar bag (the compact one) to a new vaude dry box. I’d hoped to be sneaky and use the original klick fix mount without having to change anything but inevitably it’s a slightly different system even though still klick fix. So after some wrestling with inadequate instructions last night I fixed it with the help of an Italian you tube how to do it guide (the instructions had missed a step on the locking nuts obvious to many but not to a non technical person like me).

So I should now have a new bar bag on but my old klick fix attachment I had bought an extender for- it just slid onto the mount. This was very simple but raised up a bar for attachment of lights and computer etc so that it worked for space and view with the bar bag.

The new one doesn’t take the attachment and google doesn’t mention how to get the equivalent for the new mount. Is there one does anyone know? NB as evidenced above my technical skills are very limited so I won’t be making one.

EDIT: I’ve found it- sharing details for those who may want to know- the new bracket is the multi clip plus which is parts number 0211MP.
djb

Post by djb »

simonhill wrote: 7 Aug 2020, 7:53am
Jdsk wrote:
djb wrote:Not my personal experience at all so have to completely disagree. I've always found it to be complete second nature to always bring my hbag with me in a store or anywhere.
That's how we do it. The Ortlieb bags hang quite happily on shoulders, and they're sometimes there for long periods... see recent discussion of visiting museums, locking bikes etc.

Jonathan
Many museums, galleries, etc and even some large shops ban any bags being taken in. You have to leave in reception. Have you had any problems with this?
Sorry Simon, missed this question.
No, hasn't ever been a problem, but I've had to politely explain a few times that as a traveler, I can't leave it anywhere (passport etc, or camera) .