Handlebar bag advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Handlebar bag advice

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote:Don't have the aero drag of a handbag by having a frame bag?

Allows the steering to be more natural too.

Only thing you loose us the map pocket but who uses maps anyway apart from me!!!

I've never used a frame bag. But it looks to me as if I'd lose two bottle cages if I fitted one that had the same volume as my bar bag, say 5 L. And access to the contents would be worse.

The bar bag doesn't cause any problems with steering on the move, and we usually tour without front panniers so the extra mass so far forward might be helping.

Anyone switched between the two? Experiences?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 6 Aug 2020, 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djb wrote:Not my personal experience at all so have to completely disagree. I've always found it to be complete second nature to always bring my hbag with me in a store or anywhere.

That's how we do it. The Ortlieb bags hang quite happily on shoulders, and they're sometimes there for long periods... see recent discussion of visiting museums, locking bikes etc.

Jonathan
scottg

Post by scottg »

Mick F wrote:I had one for a few days, but sold it as I couldn't use my front light.

Find an English bike, they have a lamp boss at mid fork. :)

Enough humor. The French are in charge of bar bags, small rack, great big bag.
Handling is fine, actually such bikes are bit twitchy without a bag full roast chicken
up front. Had an Ebisu, the Japanese make wonderful French bikes, it preferred to
have a bar bag to steady the handling.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am delighted with this:

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle ... ipped-roll
It cannot just be unclipped but requires undoing 3 straps which might deter some. Carry strap extra. Waterproof.

Matches my Cadet Saddlebag.

Best prices from Spa.
John
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Jdsk wrote:Very happy with our Ortliebs.

Valuables, food, gloves, USB battery pack etc live in it, just as you say.

Comes off the bike with us every time we leave them. Have never used the lock.

Some like internal partitions, some don't. But they're easy to add.

NB: Interference with lights and gadgets. May need an extension bar.

NB: Some prefer the KlickFix mount.

Jonathan

Plus one for Ortlieb.
The Klikfix mount is much better than the Ortlieb.
Buy your Ortlieb bag and a Kilkfix mount

Mike
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Jdsk wrote:
djb wrote:Not my personal experience at all so have to completely disagree. I've always found it to be complete second nature to always bring my hbag with me in a store or anywhere.

That's how we do it. The Ortlieb bags hang quite happily on shoulders, and they're sometimes there for long periods... see recent discussion of visiting museums, locking bikes etc.

Jonathan

Many museums, galleries, etc and even some large shops ban any bags being taken in. You have to leave in reception. Have you had any problems with this?
Jdsk

Handlebar bag advice

Post by Jdsk »

Good point.

Hasn't been a problem in practice. They're small, under most limits, and more like unfashionable handbags than luggage. Often searched, of course.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Brianjeff50 wrote:Any advice on size,

Whatever size you get, you'll end up filling it, there's some law of physics that compels it.
So, I'd work out what you actually need in front of you and easily removable and buy the size that it fits into. From your list, I'd suggest the tools are better off stashed somewhere else on the bike and the waterproof needs a different home (Do you want to be opening the bar bag in the rain, or putting a damp waterproof back in with you valuables?)
I have a 2.7 litre Ortlieb Compact and a 7 litre Vaude Aqua, both probably ten years old, so not the current models, both still functioning fine. I only use the big one if I'm carrying a larger camera and extra lenses, otherwise much prefer the compact which carries everything I need though has no room for a map case. A note on fittings, Ortlieb bags fit Klick Fix (As used by Vaude and Carradice amongst others) but it doesn't work the other way round, Ortlieb brackets only fit Ortlieb bags (EDITED - For confusion, mine.)
All bar bags do have an effect on handling, some riders and some bikes are more sensitive than others, IME I soon get used to it. Unsurprisingly, the compact has the least effect, with just wallet, phone, small camera and any tickets in it, I hardly notice it.
Last edited by PH on 7 Aug 2020, 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Agreed: tools elsewhere (except for the non-bike multitool), waterproof in a pannier or on top of the rear rack, and what size camera will you take?

PH wrote:A note on fittings, Ortlieb bags fit Klick Fix (As used by Vaude and Carradice amongst others) but it doesn't work the other way round, Ortlieb bags only fit their own brackets.

I don't think that the second bit is what you meant...

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote:Agreed: tools elsewhere (except for the non-bike multitool), waterproof in a pannier or on top of the rear rack, and what size camera will you take?

PH wrote:A note on fittings, Ortlieb bags fit Klick Fix (As used by Vaude and Carradice amongst others) but it doesn't work the other way round, Ortlieb bags only fit their own brackets.

I don't think that the second bit is what you meant...

Jonathan

I had to read that three times but you're right - Ortlieb brackets only fit Ortlieb bags, I've corrected it :wink:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
Mackiemill

Post by Mackiemill »

I use a Carradice Super C which is very good although dispensed quickly with the map carrier - use a Quadlock and iPhone instead to follow OS Maps online/phone data while on the move. Problem is though the bars soon become crowded with brackets aplenty. Super C is roomy and easy to take on and off via the Rixen Kaul though (and you can extend the bracket for further bar bag clearance). Wrap your tools up in something within though otherwise the rattling especially on gravel etc will drive you crazy...
MrCJF

Post by MrCJF »

I have a Carradice original (in black) that has the light bar on the bottom. I was a bit dubious about using it, but my Lezyne light "elastic band" fitting holds on firmly over 7 miles of a very rough canal path on my commute. Which is just as well, as handlebar lights would need a flagpole attachment to get above the height of the bag.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Not sure if you have room for this idea.
Both mine and my wife's bike have long steerer tubes and I added a second stem, threadless, below.
Gets our Ortlieb bags lower and frees up real estate on the bar.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Woodtourer wrote:Both mine and my wife's bike have long steerer tubes and I added a second stem, threadless, below.
Gets our Ortlieb bags lower and frees up real estate on the bar.

I set up my wife's tourer just like that, but not mine. On hers one side-effect is that the headlamp can't then go on the fork crown.

Jonathan

PS: Photo of flagpole to follow. : - )