Handlebar bag advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Brianjeff50

Handlebar bag advice

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Never used one but looks a sensible option even for my b&b LEJOG. I have trad style rear pannier and bags so the bar bag would hold en-route food, valuables, tools, rain jacket etc.
Any advice on size, make, what to look for? Bike has drop bars btw.
I’ll probably try and pick one up off eBay to save a few quid - the trip bill is mounting!
Jdsk

Re: Handlebar bag advice

Post by Jdsk »

Very happy with our Ortliebs.

Valuables, food, gloves, USB battery pack etc live in it, just as you say.

Comes off the bike with us every time we leave them. Have never used the lock.

Some like internal partitions, some don't. But they're easy to add.

NB: Interference with lights and gadgets. May need an extension bar.

NB: Some prefer the KlickFix mount.

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

They tend to stick up above bar level and so get in the way if you use a good old cape in the wet. Of course you hope not to encounter much rain on tour, but it happens. For some years I've been using the Carradice Super C which is at the larger end of the scale at 5 litres. I like it for the removable map case since I prefer paper maps.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Thoughts:

Waterproof HB bags are far more convenient than bags with rain covers.

Beware thin floppy lids that accumulate pools of water when it rains, e.g. the Vaude Discover Box.

Any HB bag will make no-hands riding perilous, and when you're stopped the front wheel will flop over 90°. If you're really lucky it'll then roll sideways while the bike falls over diagonally between your legs.

Rixen & Kaul KlickFix brackets are good, and lockable ones exist.

I use a Topeak Tourguide, which isn't touted as waterproof, but apart from the front and side pockets it has never let water in, which is just as well because the showerproof cover isn't. I've been using mine since 2006 and although the top strap is getting a bit ratty it's still fine. Topeak changed the bracket design since I got mine: the new one was in hard plastic that wouldn't grip handlebars unless you tightened it to breaking point - really clever, that. And oh yeah, the "map case" won't take any map I've ever owned without doing GBH to it. Not bad for cunningly-folded route sheets. If you're ever in Normandy look out for mine, ripped off by the wind on a fast downhill in 2014 and never seen again.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had one for a few days, but sold it as I couldn't use my front light.
Mick F. Cornwall
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I have a handlebar bag on my touring bike and wouldn’t be without it. If you’re able to fit a front rack to your bike then consider a randonneur bag, they are a bit bigger and IMHO likely to be even more useful.

Mick F wrote:I had one for a few days, but sold it as I couldn't use my front light.

Yep, that can be an issue. Fortunately, I’ve been able to work around it on one of my bikes. A front rack or a lamp boss adds options, lights can sometimes be mounted off of brake fittings too.
Last edited by Carlton green on 6 Aug 2020, 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 for Ortileb I keep everything needed for the day up front for easy access and is easily removed/ carried when leaving the bike. Wallet, phone, food, wipes, emergency toilet roll, sudocrem, battery pack and cable. Like Carlton I wouldn’t be without it on tour.
Bought mine off EBay 15yrs ago and it’s still in good order. It came with a map holder to presstud on top which I’ve never used.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

I've got a Carradice Super-C. I bought it for my day rides as I now carry a stove, pot and food with me so that I don't have to risk going into into cafe and being near other people. But I found that with my camera, binoculars and what-have-you my saddlebag was overflowing. Hence the bar bag. I'm not a fan though to be honest. It gets in the way too much. And it weighs a kilogram so it definitely won't be coming on tour with me. But each to their own...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

get one with one of those quick release mechanisms like the rixen-kaul KLICKfix bracket. No point in getting one that straps to the bars - if you are like me you put your money/card/keys and phone in it. Off the bike it becomes a hand/man bag, so preferably also needs a carrying handle or strap

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/rixen-kaul-klickfix-handlebar-bracket
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Aug 2020, 12:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Lights with our Ortliebs:

Bike 1: Dynamo headlamp on fork crown, back-up light on raised extension bar above bag. Excellent.
Bike 2: Dynamo headlamp halfway down fork, back-up light partly obscured by leading edge of bag... OK for indicating presence and illuminating distant road but not the bit of road on which you're about to ride.

(I've looked at lights that atttach to the underside of the bag but they've all wobbled too much.)

Jonathan
djb

Post by djb »

Another happy longtime user of ortlieb.
Significantly lighter than some, waterproof. Have gotten used to installing and removing their cabled mount system--DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN BOLTS, SQUISHES CABLE AND VERY HARD TO REMOVE.
Apologies for caps but super important to remember. Not needed to over tighten and if you don't, it's easy to reuse. Cable has plastic coating and if overtightened,it gets squished and widened, very hard to then pass through narrow passages in mount that cable is routed through.

Easy on, easy off. Just what you want, always has your valuables that go with you. I've done long trips and removed it daily numerous times with never getting annoyed at it.

Paper map holder renowned as best, truly waterproof. For those of us still liking a map or paper notes along with phone use occasionally.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Good advice on tightening. It's an unusual mechanism but it works fine with those precautions. And Ortlieb are great for spares!

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Don't have the aero drag of a handbag by having a frame bag?

Allows the steering to be more natural too.

Only thing you loose us the map pocket but who uses maps anyway apart from me!!!

Cheers James
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Wasn't going to post, but given the above.....

I don't use a bar bag mainly because I don't like such a big thing stuck on my handlebars. I also wince at the thought of having all my valuables in a simple, single bag which I may or may not remember to remove from my bike every time I stop. Maybe not such a problem on a LeJog but when travelling overseas I like my valuables (passport, credit card, cash stash) permanently on my person. I have seen too many travellers leaving their bag of valuables on a table or hanging from a chair in cafes, etc. Ideal pickings for a thief.

I have 2 large rear pockets on my Super Cs, ideal for anything I want handy. My passport and other valuables in neck pouch, with phone and daily cash in a bumbag.
djb

Post by djb »

simonhill wrote:Wasn't going to post, but given the above.....

I don't use a bar bag mainly because I don't like such a big thing stuck on my handlebars. I also wince at the thought of having all my valuables in a simple, single bag which I may or may not remember to remove from my bike every time I stop. Maybe not such a problem on a LeJog but when travelling overseas I like my valuables (passport, credit card, cash stash) permanently on my person. I have seen too many travellers leaving their bag of valuables on a table or hanging from a chair in cafes, etc. Ideal pickings for a thief.

I have 2 large rear pockets on my Super Cs, ideal for anything I want handy. My passport and other valuables in neck pouch, with phone and daily cash in a bumbag.

Not my personal experience at all so have to completely disagree. I've always found it to be complete second nature to always bring my hbag with me in a store or anywhere. Perhaps it's because I was in photography for decades, one never ever leaves valuables in a car or anywhere as a working photographer, and I've lived and bike traveled in Latin America where one has to have good street smarts and awareness at all times. Riding in hot weather is a real turn off to having any sort of pouch on one's body, but that's me, whether its 35c in France or 40c in Honduras.
Touch wood now of course....