YHA "post Covid"

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Billy007

Re: YHA "post Covid"

Postby Billy007 » 12 Sep 2020, 2:48pm

YHA don't even figure on my radar. Couldn't care less about them. I stopped staying in them years ago as I never got a good night's sleep, full of inconsiderate selfish tw*ts, horrendous snorers, drunk idiots crashing banging rustler plastic bags in the middle of the night or swarms of kids running amok at 1am. The last one I stayed in was the Windermere one about 10 years ago right at the end of the season. There weren't many people there but still didn't sleep well as there were still people banging and crashing around late at night or early in the morning. The standard of the place was quite tired, beds were awful, mattresses were knackered and not the cleanest although the views from the hostel were good as it is up on a hill. I think the cost back then was about £16 a night. But I'd rather be in my tent wild camping, or on a small independent campsite if I find one or if I need a place to stay AirBnB. There's also Warm Showers as well.

ElaineB

Postby ElaineB » 12 Sep 2020, 3:00pm

Oh dear, what a shame. I have had on the whole good nights at the yha’s. Yes there were some walkers that crashed in to the dormitory at 11.30pm one night and turned on the main light but other than that most people have been very pleasant and considerate. Most of the people I have met have been extremely interesting and I have spent many an evening chatting with lovely groups of travellers, all telling their tales. I played cards with a young group who were training to be hosts/hostesses on luxury yachts and we had great fun into the late evening. It would be a sad day if the yha ceased to exist.

PaulaT

Postby PaulaT » 12 Sep 2020, 6:36pm

Billy007 wrote:YHA don't even figure on my radar. Couldn't care less about them. I stopped staying in them years ago as I never got a good night's sleep, full of inconsiderate selfish tw*ts, horrendous snorers, drunk idiots crashing banging rustler plastic bags in the middle of the night or swarms of kids running amok at 1am. The last one I stayed in was the Windermere one about 10 years ago right at the end of the season. There weren't many people there but still didn't sleep well as there were still people banging and crashing around late at night or early in the morning. The standard of the place was quite tired, beds were awful, mattresses were knackered and not the cleanest although the views from the hostel were good as it is up on a hill. I think the cost back then was about £16 a night. But I'd rather be in my tent wild camping, or on a small independent campsite if I find one or if I need a place to stay AirBnB. There's also Warm Showers as well.

Very much my experience of the YHA as well.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 12 Sep 2020, 6:47pm

Billy007 wrote: as I never got a good night's sleep, full of inconsiderate l.

+ 1. I don't normally use YHA's but for various reasons have tried to stay at YHA Keswick on 3 occasions in the past year. It's a superb place, other than the fact that I found any form of sleep impossible. Having booked 2-3 nights stay on each occasion, spending several hours travelling there, I never lasted beyond a single night!

whoof

Postby whoof » 12 Sep 2020, 11:16pm

gbnz wrote:
Billy007 wrote: as I never got a good night's sleep, full of inconsiderate l.

+ 1. I don't normally use YHA's but for various reasons have tried to stay at YHA Keswick on 3 occasions in the past year. It's a superb place, other than the fact that I found any form of sleep impossible. Having booked 2-3 nights stay on each occasion, spending several hours travelling there, I never lasted beyond a single night!

Last time in a YHA was two years ago in Stratford Upon Avon. Surrounded by snorers, at 3 am gave up trying to get some sleep and went to the TV room and managed to get a couple of hours on the sofa. I would have got a better nights sleep with a roll mat and sleeping bag in a bus shelter.
I now stick to camping (wild or site), b&bs or Premier Inn.
Block booking of YHAs seems like the best thing for them as like minded groups can all stay together. School groups using them is also a lot closer to the original vision of the YHA rather than the middle aged/elderly that seemed to have been making up a large number of the clientele.

ElaineB

Postby ElaineB » 13 Sep 2020, 8:08am

I like the mix of people you meet at yh’s, old, young, groups of walkers, cyclists, etc, that to me is the attraction. I have camped in my little tent, stayed in dorms and had my own 6 bedded room with en suite but each time it is the people I meet that make it a unique experience.

Phileas

Postby Phileas » 13 Sep 2020, 8:17am

Last Sunday I stayed at Conwy YHA for one night. £25 for one person in a private En-suite room with four beds, I couldn’t really complain.

I have tried staying in dormitories a few times previously - doesn’t suit me.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 13 Sep 2020, 5:44pm

seems like many people here have not heard of ear plugs. :lol:

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Sep 2020, 5:47pm

mercalia wrote:seems like many people here have not heard of ear plugs. :lol:

Do they work? Do you recommend a brand, or type?
I have been finding hospital wards are very difficult places to sleep. I was surprised that the hospital pharmacy did not sell any.

whoof

Postby whoof » 13 Sep 2020, 8:51pm

Never travel without them but if you are a metre or so away from what sounds like a hibernating bear they don't help a great deal. I'm sure that someone will say they wear them and have no problems but they are probably drowning out someone's snoring with their own snoring.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 13 Sep 2020, 10:37pm

Hasn't the individual traveller, backpacker and gap year type market mostly gone to independent hostels? That would explain at least in part the YHA's shift to concentrate on school groups. Also, as Billy007 says, the rise of AirBnB, Warm Showers and similar.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 14 Sep 2020, 10:12am

Mike Sales wrote:

Do they work? Do you recommend a brand, or type?
I have been finding hospital wards are very difficult places to sleep. I was surprised that the hospital pharmacy did not sell any.

I use wax ones that when warmed up mould them selves the ear. Of course not 100% effective but they do make a difference. I also use them on the noisey buses and trains & london tube. Do a search in ebay for "wax earplugs" or if you are in hospital at the moment get a visitor to go to thje local pharmacy for some. I would be surprised if they dont have any.

Maybe other people here would like to comment on other types of ear plug not made of wax as I am always looking out for better options.

These are the last ones I bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revitale-Natural-Wax-Ear-Plug-Balls-7-Pairs-Protection-from-noise-water-dust/182857333752?epid=1724831534

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 14 Sep 2020, 10:40am

I love hostels but the main reason I no lot use them (apart from Covid) is that I snore. When you move on to single rooms they are sometimes as expensive as hotels so become pointless.
John

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 14 Sep 2020, 10:57am

Ear plugs -
Foam - depending on the shape of the ear cannel, I find that I cannot keep usual foam plugs in place, however these 3M E.A.R push in ones can be "screwed in" so stay in place and are the most effective ones I've used, including custom made ones https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-u ... 931&rt=rud
Wax - never tried, but mouldable silicone ones are similar https://www.boots.com/bioears-soft-sili ... s-10064078 I have used these comfortably in some quieter places.

I stopped using YHA 35 years ago, before the modern smaller rooms, primarily because of the noise - snoring, late arrivals from the pub, hob nailed boots being needed for a night time visitation etc. These days I camp which is when I use the earplugs. I applaud Oldjohnw for acknowledging his snoring and being considerate to others.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 14 Sep 2020, 11:39am

mercalia wrote:
I use wax ones that when warmed up mould them selves the ear. Of course not 100% effective but they do make a difference. I also use them on the noisey buses and trains & london tube. Do a search in ebay for "wax earplugs" or if you are in hospital at the moment get a visitor to go to thje local pharmacy for some. I would be surprised if they dont have any.

Maybe other people here would like to comment on other types of ear plug not made of wax as I am always looking out for better options.

These are the last ones I bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revitale-Natural-Wax-Ear-Plug-Balls-7-Pairs-Protection-from-noise-water-dust/182857333752?epid=1724831534

Thank you.

I have not found any wax ones on sale, but I have bought some soft foam ones ready for future use. I have tried them at home and I doubt they will be much good.