Cycle Route Planning

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thatsme

Cycle Route Planning

Postby Thatsme » 13 Aug 2020, 12:45pm

I know this has been on here before! Planning to cycle from London to Hayling Island, I have a Garmin Explore. What is the consensus on route planning software. I will be importing some sort of file into my Garmin once the route has been decided.

Thanks.

ChrisF

Re: Cycle Route Planning

Postby ChrisF » 13 Aug 2020, 7:00pm

There's so many and they all have their quirks.
I find that I use cycle.travel https://cycle.travel/map more than others.
Chris F, Cornwall

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 13 Aug 2020, 7:13pm

Just use the website:- https://cycle.travel/

Put start and finish in and it will calculate the best bike route, you can tweak the route but it generally picks the best, least trafficed route. Paved/unpaved is an option that will make little difference, in this case, but choosing paved makes sustrans bike paths (AKA unsuitable for car use) less likely to be used.

Thehairs1970

Postby Thehairs1970 » 13 Aug 2020, 10:26pm

Look out for slightly odd routing on cycle.travel. Not sure how the algorithms work but it does pick some oddities at times, even when you use waypoints to force it. Having said that, it's not bad at all. I often use komoot to compare routing and then sometimes check using google earth

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 14 Aug 2020, 8:29am

Cycle Travel is the one I've found to give me the best routes.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Aug 2020, 9:02am

i haven't compared enough to recommend one over others, but have a look at CycleStreets:
https://www.cyclestreets.net

Jonathan

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Aug 2020, 9:05am

On both the France en Velo and the EV 15 tours I imported other people's routes into my Edge 1000.

This mostly worked very well.

The only systematic problem was that on entering villages and towns the routes took small lanes and trails and paths where it would have been much quicker and for us preferable to stay on the main road. Presumably the planning was giving too much weight to avoiding bigger roads and traffic.

Jonathan

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 14 Aug 2020, 9:55am

Jdsk wrote:i haven't compared enough to recommend one over others, but have a look at CycleStreets:
https://www.cyclestreets.net

Jonathan

I’ve used cyclestreets and found that it has a tendency to dive for the nearest NCN, which is all very well but it’s not always the most direct route.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Thatsme

Postby Thatsme » 14 Aug 2020, 12:45pm

I seem to be getting errors once I import a course from cycle streets? I live in London but I am plotting a course from Guildford to my destination, not from London, does the garmin plot it from my GPS link in London?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Aug 2020, 12:49pm

Which device?`

At what point in the process? When navigating rather than anything to with importing?

Does it offer you the option to navigate to the start of the route?

Have you imported routes before?

Jonathan

Thatsme

Postby Thatsme » 14 Aug 2020, 12:59pm

Garmin Edge Explore and once I have imported it via my desktop. I go to saved courses, I hit ride, it says navigate to beginning of course, I tick yes?, it then says I am off course. I am in London not Guildford and am checking the route imported into the Garmin before I travel, I presume it will work once I have taken the train to Guildford and set off on my planned journey to the coast? If this is the case it's a bit rubbish..

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Aug 2020, 8:55pm

Sorry, I don't understand the problem...

... you've successfully imported a route from Guildford to X?
... you've started to navigate while you're in London, and it's asked whether you want it to navigate to the start of the route (Guildford)?
... and you've said "Yes"?

What do you think it should then do?

Jonathan

Thatsme

Postby Thatsme » 17 Aug 2020, 11:09am

The issue I have and this maybe common amongst GPS units, is that I want to virtually check and preview my ride from Guildford to portsmouth, to make sure my data is correct. I am currently in London, I am guessing the satelite tracking is locking onto my current location.?
Last edited by Thatsme on 17 Aug 2020, 11:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 17 Aug 2020, 11:12am

You're selecting Ride. (And then I think that it's behaving sensibly.)

I don't have one of these but it sounds as if you need to look at the route without doing that.

Jonathan

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 17 Aug 2020, 5:38pm

Don't tick yes (or it will just try and take you to the start)
Tick no it then just loads the route on screen just as it would be ridden. You can them zoom/roam to the start and check on a tiny screen.
OR
Plan it in cycle.travel, decide if any points need adding anywhere (but remember this might force using a busier road) then download the route as a gpx and drag and drop it into the new files folder on the GPS, then you know that the little device has the same route as on the big screen - only a mapping error on GPS could force a different route (I use recent OSM maps to be on same mapping as cycle.travel).