Touring Destination 2 Months Mid Oct to Dec - Any Ideas

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Touring Destination 2 Months Mid Oct to Dec - Any Ideas

Postby simonhill » 17 Aug 2020, 5:16pm

I normally start my touring year at the end of September, heading off till just before Christmas. Usually somewhere warm out Asia way. Given that all those countries are not accepting tourists from the UK, has anybody any thoughts for alternative destinations?

I like to tour, but would be happy to limit the moving on and use a few centres to do day rides or overnighters from. It must be reasonably warm and dry(ish).

I am well aware of problems with insurance, quarantine, etc and it would be good if people could contribute without the same old Covid argy bargy that usually starts up after a few posts.

Edit: I realise that I am probably talking about somewhere in Europe.

roberts8

Re: Touring Destination 2 Months Mid Oct to Dec - Any Ideas

Postby roberts8 » 17 Aug 2020, 6:47pm

Not cycled there but is Morocco a safe option as you could move down to warmer weather. I have always fancied south of the Atlas Mountains but the rest of Europe would be winter. How far south in Turkey would you be prepared to go as it may be another option. I know it can be good in October so it could be worth a check. Let us know what you decide as it is a good question. :mrgreen:

nsew

Postby nsew » 17 Aug 2020, 10:52pm

How good are you at spotting trends?
Image Attachments
9CCDE8A0-2D61-4C1C-BF15-EF2710E73E14.png
34505959-B155-46B3-BB41-C01098A21EED.png

pwa

Postby pwa » 18 Aug 2020, 6:59am

It is time for that UK tour Simon. Seriously, a lot less hassle this year. Invest in some new clothing perhaps.

Thehairs1970

Postby Thehairs1970 » 18 Aug 2020, 8:52am

Well, you managed one reply before someone told you something you already knew.

I don't have any suggestions but maybe look at a couple of possibilities in case lockdown rules change. I agree that a UK tour could be on the cards but I wonder if campsites might be cutting their losses this year and closing early or trying to get something back and staying open longer.

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 18 Aug 2020, 9:12am

We go to cornwall with the family October half term and the weather can be swimming or cowering from heavy,cold rain hence the thoughts of warmer climes but I do accept there would be a C19 risk to factor in. The idea of a late autumn tour would appeal so may be heathers changing colours and forests an option and as others on this forum will have far greater knowledge than me responses will be good.

hamster

Postby hamster » 18 Aug 2020, 9:34am

How about Greece and the southern Balkans?

nsew

Postby nsew » 18 Aug 2020, 4:31pm

Balkans have a faster growing infection rate than any of the Euro 27 and they have poor testing. Besides it’s bldy freezing in the Balkan’s come Oct. Greece looks to be shot this time around too. We’ll have travel restrictions again here very shortly. Denial and wishful thinking hasn’t worked.
Image Attachments
43374BD9-D29D-4674-B95C-DBB73C6AE433.png

honesty

Postby honesty » 18 Aug 2020, 6:57pm

Sicily looks nice around then. Sure Conrad on here has some write ups of doing at that time.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 18 Aug 2020, 7:07pm

2 month LEJOG or JOGLE ... low daily milage and time to visit all the stuff the LEJOG'ers and JOGLE'ers miss .... .... no issues with travel ... simples ... i'd love to join you ...
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

Jon Lucas

Postby Jon Lucas » 19 Aug 2020, 10:10am

landsurfer wrote:2 month LEJOG or JOGLE ... low daily milage and time to visit all the stuff the LEJOG'ers and JOGLE'ers miss .... .... no issues with travel ... simples ... i'd love to join you ...

I agree with this, and he could follow the coast, as I did (though I took a lot longer than two months!).

But doing LEJOG in the autumn has many advantages. You can almost guarantee that you will have the wind blowing behind you, as south-westerlies are at their most dominant at that time of year, and some of them will be pretty strong. The weather is still relatively mild, and while rain is likely to be plentiful, especially close to the west coast, there can also be many beautiful days that will give glorious riding.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 19 Aug 2020, 1:17pm

Thanks to those who replied to the topic. Some interesting thoughts and a few places I hadn't thought about. I'll do a bit of research and they'll go on the list. Who knows, I'll also be looking for Jan to March.

Obviously things are changing all the time, but I am talking about 2 months hence and am able to go at very short notice, so it is all still in the melting pot.

At the time of posting, I had Greece and Portugal on my 'to think about' list.

Portugal was top, for a number of reasons. Weather OK-ish and it's fairly easy to get to, although a few hours after posting, easyjet cancelled all flights from my local airport from Sept 1st. My vague plan was flying to somewhere in Spain eg Santiago and cycling down to Faro, stopping off for inland forays along the way. I may well change this to flying into Porto, so no borders to cross. If F&CO ban still in place, I will still be able to use my EHIC card. Fly home in time to quarantine in time for Christmas Day. Another advantage with Portugal is that it isn't too far away and I could probably get back from there by bike, train and ferry if necessary. Anyone any thoughts on Portugal?

Thanks for the Lejog idea - I'm sorry but I don't think early/mid Dec in Scotland is autumnal - sunrise just before 9am, sunset just after 3pm. Brrhh!

My winter warm travelling isn't just hedonistic. My body suffers in the cold and damp. Winters in the warm with plenty of exercise (mainly cycling, but also walking and swimming) means I stay fit, healthy and mobile.

ChrisF

Postby ChrisF » 19 Aug 2020, 2:34pm

Portugal sounds good - I may do something similar myself. I've also been in southern Spain (Malaga, Cadiz etc) in late November and the weather was excellent. Who knows what the Covid situation will be by then? May be better than now, with luck. But no holiday insurance is currently valid if going against FCO advice, so you won't be covered for theft, flight cancellation etc. Take care.
Chris F, Cornwall

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 Aug 2020, 2:55pm

Not strictly relevant to the OP, but related, I hear Brittany Ferries is cutting services to a couple of places inc. St Malo.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 19 Aug 2020, 3:15pm

"Consolidating Services, a message from our CEO":
https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/info ... eo-message

Jonathan