Open Street Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Open Street Maps

Postby bobzeller » 18 Aug 2020, 8:54pm

Can someone please tell me what 'VHB' mean on a route. I presume it means a route set up for cycling. But does it imply any particular type of surface. amount of traffic or anything else?

Many thanks

Bob

simonineaston

Re: Open Street Maps

Postby simonineaston » 18 Aug 2020, 9:27pm

Not finding those three letters on English OSM wiki, but do find a reference in German language page...
byyeee,
SiE

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 Aug 2020, 10:31pm

Can you share a link to where you see them on the map, please?

It might just be an abbreviated route name.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

sizbut

Postby sizbut » 18 Aug 2020, 10:44pm

Its a Transport Association or "Verband". In this case VHB is Verband Hegau-Bodensee. Think Local Public Transport Authority like Transport for London, overseeing local trains, buses, etc. So in the context of Open Street Maps probably a route that they operate for some form of public transport.

bobzeller

Postby bobzeller » 19 Aug 2020, 6:05am

I am grateful for the suggestions but I am looking at a cycle route in France, not Germany. VPD shows up as well on a route from Arrowmanches Les Bains going to Bayeux, Villiers Bocge and then La Ferriere Harang. I am using RWGPS with the OSM Cycle overlay. It does not appear using any of the other overlays.

Thanks for all the kind efforts with this question.

Bob

PaulaT

Postby PaulaT » 19 Aug 2020, 8:18am

bobzeller wrote:I am grateful for the suggestions but I am looking at a cycle route in France, not Germany. VPD shows up as well on a route from Arrowmanches Les Bains going to Bayeux, Villiers Bocge and then La Ferriere Harang. I am using RWGPS with the OSM Cycle overlay. It does not appear using any of the other overlays.

Thanks for all the kind efforts with this question.

Bob

I've found it on Opensteetmap's cycle map overlay. It's probably the name of the route - maybe velo something or other?

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 19 Aug 2020, 9:22am

1. Go to openstreetmap.org
2. Switch to OpenCycleMap (using the layer switcher on the right, which looks like a pile of paper)
3. Zoom into a part of the route you're interested in
4. Select the layer switcher (bottom icon on the right - a pointer with a question mark)
5. Click somewhere along the route
6. Under "Nearby features" you'll see something listed as a "Relation". This is the cycle route. You'll probably see the name right here (in this case, it's Véloroute Plages du Débarquement Mont-Saint-Michel), but you can also click on it for the full OSM object details. If you do, you'll see the abbreviation (VPD) listed under "ref".
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

bobzeller

Postby bobzeller » 19 Aug 2020, 4:44pm

Thanks very much to Richard and all of the others for your patient assistance. Very much appreciated.

Bob