The old days.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
francovendee

The old days.

Post by francovendee »

Crossing the channel in the 50's seemed such hard work. It must have taken all day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqi4cIv1m4
Tim Holman

Re: The old days.

Post by Tim Holman »

Fantastic! Thanks a lot.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wonder how many bikes they dropped in the drink? or bits fell off. I dont think I would trust my bike to that sort of treatment these days - just get slung on and off?

They didnt seem to be taking much baggage, so just doing credit-card touring or the equivalent to that?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mercalia wrote:I wonder how many bikes they dropped in the drink? or bits fell off. I dont think I would trust my bike to that sort of treatment these days - just get slung on and off?

They didn't seem to be taking much baggage, so just doing credit-card touring or the equivalent to that?

They didn't seem to have enough gear to be camping, I'd guess it was hosteling or hotels.
I think if I was travelling this way I'd be worried about the bike getting damaged. Maybe bikes were more rugged back then but I don't seem to remember that. Plastic mudguards were very flimsy, I've broken a few sets in the past.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

interesting, thanks.
from what i gather, over half a century later, east coast rail has managed to take that bike rack and make it worse.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Loved this film and the others it took me to. Just on the periphery of my childhood. An old fashioned club with a secretary, too.
John
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Great film. I remember cars being lifted on in the same way.
Just a fleeting thought that it would be great if there was a club that passionately sought to improve travel over land,sea and air to promote cycle touring on behalf of its members. If you hear of one please post here.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

In the early 1960's we travelled by cargo boat from Leith to Antwerp. The boat carried 12 passengers and several cars were carried as well as our bikes. Everything was hoisted on board by sling but we took the luggage off our bikes first.I was very nervous of my precious Flying Scot but there was no damage. We also on that occasion did our return journey that way.
Sadly that service stopped soon after.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Thanks to Francovendee for that link to the old film.
In 1959 my father took myself, my twin both 11 yrs old and my sister 15 to Austria. Victoria to Calais and then on to Salzburg via Munich. The excitement of just being in a foreign country at the time in the 50s and at that young age was tremendous. And then the wonder of touring over the alps including some big ones with the Grossglockner being the pinnacle. Staying at farms and zimmer frei along the way.
The beginning of my love of the mountains and being on a bike.
Exploring more old clips now.
Thanks
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tough characters in those days. My cousin was in this - I was too young.

https://youtu.be/6DNUIxubdGg
John
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

In 2005 the ferry in Orkney from Papa Westray to Kirkwall was still loading cars by sling, and our bikes went into the small blue container before being slung aboard.
I would assume they are still doing it that way.

2020-08-22_09-41-05.jpg
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote:Tough characters in those days. My cousin was in this - I was too young.

I've watched this and they did seem a tough bunch. Quite a range of bikes too, not all the latest models I'd guess.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Tough characters in those days. My cousin was in this - I was too young.

I've watched this and they did seem a tough bunch. Quite a range of bikes too, not all the latest models I'd guess.

Snow and no gloves!
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

many are young. The things I could do then..... :D

most needed some more gears?

I likd the old cars. Was not that long ago?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Great bit of nostalgia. Brought back memories of school trips, Switzerland in 1956 and Austria in 1959. Eating all the unwanted breakfast sausages on the boat which was getting chucked around like a cork. We stayed in Jungendherberge and travelled around.
Thanks Franco...charming..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......