Peak Forest Canal Towpath

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Littgull

Peak Forest Canal Towpath

Postby Littgull » 22 Aug 2020, 11:52am

Can anyone advise me on the general standard of towpath condition for cycling on the above on the stretch from Romily to Ashton under Lyne?

Thanks.

RickH

Re: Peak Forest Canal Towpath

Postby RickH » 22 Aug 2020, 1:44pm

Between Hyde & the junction with the Ashton Canal at Portland Basin the surface is generally good. I can't remember for certain but I'm fairly sure I did the route on my road bike with 28mm tyres. Other than that it will have been on a Kona Sutra with 40mm slicks. I've ridden that way several times but not from further south than Hyde on the canal.

When I've ridden that way it has been on a set route for an organised ride & we've come from Reddish Vale direction & followed the paths & quiet residential streets on the other side of the River Goyt, plus one short stretch of busier road to get us over the river just south of Hyde before joining the canal.

Hope that helps.

Littgull

Re: Peak Forest Canal Towpath

Postby Littgull » 22 Aug 2020, 5:12pm

RickH wrote:Between Hyde & the junction with the Ashton Canal at Portland Basin the surface is generally good. I can't remember for certain but I'm fairly sure I did the route on my road bike with 28mm tyres. Other than that it will have been on a Kona Sutra with 40mm slicks. I've ridden that way several times but not from further south than Hyde on the canal.

When I've ridden that way it has been on a set route for an organised ride & we've come from Reddish Vale direction & followed the paths & quiet residential streets on the other side of the River Goyt, plus one short stretch of busier road to get us over the river just south of Hyde before joining the canal.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful, many thanks.