Post, Short break tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
newbootclimbco

Post, Short break tour

Postby newbootclimbco » 25 Aug 2020, 8:36pm

After viewing suggestions offered for a short tour I did the following, August 10, cycled from Wimborne to Ringwood, through the new forest to Salisbury,through woodfords ,Amesbury,Bulford to Upavon and first night at the Antelope hotel, 53 miles. Day 2 A345 to Beeching Stoke,Horton onto the A361 crossed the A4 ,Royal Wootten, B4042 to Malmesbury only 36 miles end of day 2. 12 August on the B4014 to Tetbury,Nailsworth.Stroud,Gloucester, A48 down to Chepstow and a B and B 55 miles today, The daily milage doesn't seem too much but we chose the 3 hottest days of the millennium It finally hit me trying to climb the last hill of the day up into the town centre, I was knackered. That Wednesday evening we had thunder and heavy rain and it was wonderful .Day 4 left Chepstow in the rain heading down to the 7 Bridge and onto Bristol and an AIRnB, only 33 miles had a pub meal and a couple of beers Day5 and using the old railway path cycled in very heavy rain down to Bath jumped on the Avon canal down to Bradford on Avon A36 to Coombe Down Midford Mells,A359 to Bruton and leaving town on one of the hardest hills I've ever had the privalege to climb, Bruton should be renamed BRUTAL and finally our hotel for the night at Wincanton 50 miles I think. we sat in the bar watching snooker and having too many beers.The 6th and final day again on our way in the rain heading for Buckhorn, Kingston Magna,Child Oakford, Blandford,and finally home to Wimborne. Total about 255 miles, not to bad for 2 old blokes in there late 60s one that's had open heart surgery and the other with 2 partial knee repacements. Hopefully next year back to a planned tour from Cherborg through France, Belguim, Holland, ferry to Harwich, home. Happy Cycling Cheers T.W

PaulaT

Re: Post, Short break tour

Postby PaulaT » 25 Aug 2020, 8:51pm

Well done to both of you :)

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 6 Sep 2020, 5:11pm

Has the Antelope improved with new manager?

newbootclimbco

Postby newbootclimbco » 16 Sep 2020, 6:52pm

Hi Mumbojumbo, As I did'nt know what the Antelope was previously I can't comment, but we were happy that there was somewhere uncover for our bikes [the laundry room] and the door was locked, Our room with ensuite clean ,had tea coffee etc a T.V a decent evening meal and breakfast and well deserved Beer we can't complain the Landlady and Landlord were friendly so yes it was good, due to the Virus we paid about £35 each B and B and the evening meal half price. Cheers Tim.