Clothing for Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
carlislemike

Re: Clothing for Touring

Postby carlislemike » 5 Sep 2020, 2:36pm

richardfm wrote:
carlislemike wrote:... Do I dig out the old stuff from last autumn / winter or do I chuck all this...

Is it worn out?
Did it perform to you expectations?
Do you just like spending money?
Answer these questions and you will have your answer.

Right, answers to your questions.
1) nearly and looking it.
2) yes when newer.
3) heaven forfend, spend money and not let domestic management know. What sort of male cyclist do you take me for :D

carlislemike

Postby carlislemike » 5 Sep 2020, 2:51pm

Are we all cyclists of a certain age? Decathlon, Rohan, Honor Blackman, Gore-Tex MTB SPD Boots? The list could be longer. I also treasure the Postman in the Scottish Islands and more. Think I'll return to a more natural clothing route plus the man made 3/4 length mob shorts by Hummvee and appropriate under carriage wear.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 5 Sep 2020, 2:52pm

... any other recommendations for 3/4 length baggy trousers, please? Or below-knee zip offs?

Thanks

Jonathan

whoof

Postby whoof » 5 Sep 2020, 3:08pm

greyingbeard wrote:Tweeds - plus fours, plus twos, flat cap, sports jacket, wooly jumpers, and a rolled up cape on saddle bag.

If it starts to get chilly I would add a cravat to that

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Sep 2020, 5:50pm

On a recent tour with mixed weather I found this thin but wind resistant Endura top (loose fit combining nicely with baggy shorts) very nice to wear.
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/32850 ... erine.aspx
It dries very quickly and seems to be just right in a lot of the weather we get here. I wear a very thin mesh vest underneath.

carlislemike

Postby carlislemike » 5 Sep 2020, 6:11pm

Jdsk wrote:... any other recommendations for 3/4 length baggy trousers, please? Or below-knee zip offs?

Thanks

Jonathan

As mentioned above, check out Rohan or Mountain Equipment.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 5 Sep 2020, 9:30pm

carlislemike wrote:
Jdsk wrote:... any other recommendations for 3/4 length baggy trousers, please? Or below-knee zip offs?

It was me that mentioned Rohan... bit do either of those makes currently have any 3/4 lengths or below-knee zip-offs?

Thanks

Jonathan

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 5 Sep 2020, 9:45pm

Craghopper Kiwi trousers are good. They dry out really quickly even after hours in torrential rain.
I've worn them on the bike, been soaked, dried out, gone to a gig and then slept in them in my tent all on the same day.
I've stocked up on half price Kiwis before Debenhams vanish for good.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 5 Sep 2020, 9:46pm

Agreed.

Jonathan

KTHSullivan

Postby KTHSullivan » 5 Sep 2020, 11:29pm

Went down the route some time ago and avoided lycra cycling jerseys. Got a load of cheap polyester polo shirts from Decathlon, wash and dry (mostly by morning). Keep a pair of lightweight quick drying shorts in the top of the panniers/saddlebag to wear for shopping/cafe stops. Some places in the more popular spots in Europe it helps not to scream cyclist too loudly.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

pwa

Postby pwa » 6 Sep 2020, 5:44am

Jdsk wrote:
carlislemike wrote:

It was me that mentioned Rohan... bit do either of those makes currently have any 3/4 lengths or below-knee zip-offs?

Thanks

Jonathan

I haven't specifically tried the 3/4s, but I have a couple of pairs of Humvee shorts and they are everything you want from loose fit shorts on a tour. They are very light, they dry very quickly, they are tough, and they look fine off the bike. Here are the 3/4s:

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/10925 ... black.aspx

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 6 Sep 2020, 8:54am

Thanks.

I had spotted those several times, and they're just the sort of thing I'm looking for. But I'm not prepared to spend >£60 on a pair of shorts. But in a sale...

Jonathan

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 6 Sep 2020, 11:21am

I picked up a clue of roll neck tops when heading over to Ghent for the 6 days last November. Flanders wasn't so cosy in the winter months. Once the weather starts to turn, I find the benefits of wicking materials become irrelevant, especially when staying warm is your main concern. This type of thing https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/merib ... RYQAvD_BwE

Have become a total convert and good for off the bike in the evenings.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

pwa

Postby pwa » 6 Sep 2020, 2:21pm

Jdsk wrote:Thanks.

I had spotted those several times, and they're just the sort of thing I'm looking for. But I'm not prepared to spend >£60 on a pair of shorts. But in a sale...

Jonathan

Yes you might get some cheaper if they come up in a sale. But they are pretty good value anyway because they last a long time. They are also less likely to work their way down at the back as you ride than shorts not specifically intended for cycle use.

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 7 Sep 2020, 9:04am

iandriver wrote: Once the weather starts to turn, I find the benefits of wicking materials become irrelevant, especially when staying warm is your main concern. This type of thing

Depends on how hot you run - if I'm cycling for more than an hour or so, I will sweat enough even in cold temperatures to soak a non-wicking baselayer. This is OK while I'm moving, but can get unpleasant when I stop.