Clothing for Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
50sbiker

Re: Clothing for Touring

Postby 50sbiker » 7 Oct 2020, 9:49am

SimonCelsa wrote:After a 35 year career in the Merchant navy I took a break last year and spent the entire winter in Northern Scotland as a postman.

My daily attire consisted of base layer, fleece top and polyester jacket. All items of synthetic material and were purchased new for a grand total of less than £50. Funnily enough I have been wearing exactly the same gear during our summer months, removing the jacket and fleece as temperatures dictate. The polyester rain jacket from Aldi purchased several years ago has been particularly effective as a wind blocker.

I would recommend a similar rig for touring. Cheap, reasonably durable, very quick drying.

As an aside, I do also possess Castelli and Buffalo cycling jackets, similarly good products in their own right, vastly more expensive (although I got good deals 2nd hand); but I don't seem to use them much!!

My brother was in the Wavy Navy and left to be a postman!....Then went back to sea...Lol.

SimonCelsa

Re: Clothing for Touring

Postby SimonCelsa » 8 Oct 2020, 5:33am

My brother was in the Wavy Navy and left to be a postman!....Then went back to sea...Lol.

Think I may be heading the same way!! Bit of a specialized career path which, although it has many transferable skills is difficult to get away from and find something worthwhile ashore. The modern urban posties job is actually fairly physical, and certainly keeps you fit.