Miles and isles: "our" big Scottish bike ride

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Miles and isles: "our" big Scottish bike ride

Post by mercalia »

Miles and isles: our big Scottish bike ride

A father-and-son cycling tour of Highlands and islands found the scenery, ferocious weather – and midges – all on top form

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/sep/26/miles-and-isles-our-big-scottish-bike-ride?
keithg

Re: Miles and isles: "our" big Scottish bike ride

Post by keithg »

A good read, thanks.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Great read that brought back many memories. But is "Miles and Isles" referencing Joni Mitchell's live album of a similar name?

I've done a "Refuge of the Roads" tour and my pals did a "Last time we saw Richard" when I couldn't make a trip a few years back.

Anyone else name their tours?
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Enigmadick wrote:Anyone else name their tours?
I had a Grand Tour.
http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com

I began a ride called the Two Daughters Tour, but due to a mechanical problem with my trailer, I had to abort before I even got as a far as Bristol.
We had one daughter living in Manchester and the other in Bedford at the time.
Mick F. Cornwall
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

You've put the our in quotes. Is that you in the article then?

I have to say, I've never been bothered by midges that much in the Outer Hebrides, and we've been for the last 8 years. I think I cycle faster than they can fly, and the house we usually rent is on the west coast, only yards from the beach, and fairly high up. So the wind is coming direct from America, and probably keeps the midges off.

There was a programme about Scotland on the television the other day. An expert on insects was saying midges are another important pollinator, and it's only the females that bite - they want your blood for their eggs.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Enigmadick wrote:Great read that brought back many memories. But is "Miles and Isles" referencing Joni Mitchell's live album of a similar name?

I've done a "Refuge of the Roads" tour and my pals did a "Last time we saw Richard" when I couldn't make a trip a few years back.

Anyone else name their tours?

I give my tours cryptic names.
Pamir Highway: Behind bars with the 'stans.
Western isles: I land on an island.
Ethiopia: Hills and hippos.
Sri Lanka: Welcome to the jungle.
All on crazy guy.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mikeymo wrote:You've put the our in quotes. Is that you in the article then?

I have to say, I've never been bothered by midges that much in the Outer Hebrides, and we've been for the last 8 years. I think I cycle faster than they can fly, and the house we usually rent is on the west coast, only yards from the beach, and fairly high up. So the wind is coming direct from America, and probably keeps the midges off.

There was a programme about Scotland on the television the other day. An expert on insects was saying midges are another important pollinator, and it's only the females that bite - they want your blood for their eggs.

not me that was the title of the article I thought using quotes would prevent the mistake you just made.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mercalia wrote:
mikeymo wrote:You've put the our in quotes. Is that you in the article then?

not me that was the title of the article I thought using quotes would prevent the mistake you just made.

Hah, yes. Silly me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo wrote:An expert on insects was saying midges are another important pollinator...

In the UK?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
mikeymo wrote:An expert on insects was saying midges are another important pollinator...

In the UK?

Jonathan

Yes, apparently. It was on Landward, the very much superior Scottish equivalent of Countryfile.

And they are themselves part of the food chain
John
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:

In the UK?

Jonathan

Chocolate
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: -)

Jonathan
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

Thankyou. A good inspirational read.