Shorts for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Alan244

Shorts for touring

Postby Alan244 » 28 Sep 2020, 7:40pm

looking for recommendations for some baggy shorts for touring not the lycra type

pwa

Re: Shorts for touring

Postby pwa » 28 Sep 2020, 7:55pm

Humvees. I use them with padded liner shorts, but you don't have to.

ossie

Postby ossie » 28 Sep 2020, 8:13pm

Likewise Humvees. They come with the padded shorts but just as easy slide over normal cycling shorts if you're on a longish tour and need to alternate for washing purposes.

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 28 Sep 2020, 8:26pm

I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x and a pair of Humvees, both are good.

pq

Postby pq » 30 Sep 2020, 11:13am

I generally tour in lycra, but at other times I use Rapha touring shorts over a pair of whatever lycra bib shorts I happen to feel like wearing. They have some nice design features which make them feel not much different to wearing just the lycra.
One link to your website is enough. G

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 30 Sep 2020, 12:28pm

Buy some 2 part trouser systems as sold by Regatta etc.
https://www.regatta.com/mens/trousers/s ... ice_en_gb/

1.cheap
2.versatile
3. can add bottoms if dining out,on a date or visting mosque

Also can walk round without declaring "Iam a cyclist"I buy loads from charity shops for £4-5 pair.

Queens Park Pete

Postby Queens Park Pete » 30 Sep 2020, 9:24pm

I got some not very baggy baggies from decathlon for under thirty quid a few weeks back complete with removable inner shorts and a waterproof phone/wallet pocket. Certainly better than full on lycra to wear in cafe without frightening the staff!

Queens Park Pete

Postby Queens Park Pete » 30 Sep 2020, 9:31pm

I got some not very baggy baggies from decathlon for under thirty quid a few weeks back complete with removable inner shorts and a waterproof phone/wallet pocket. Certainly better than full on lycra to wear in cafe without frightening the staff!

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 1 Oct 2020, 1:45am

I use the Gore C3 trail shorts now (or Aldi touring shorts, which won't appear again).
I don't ride over 80 miles very often any more, so I don't bother with padded liners, just using bog standard M&S undies (which pack smaller).

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 1 Oct 2020, 7:20am

richardfm wrote:I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x .
Another vote for Corinne Dennis. I have been using them for more than 15 years. The material changed about 4 or 5 years ago to a softer touch. Good stuff, good service.

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Oct 2020, 5:21pm

I have some of the humvee 3/4 & wear them a lot (my knees don't generally like to come out unless the temperature is consistently above about 18C).

Whether or not I wear the padded liner depends a bit on whether I'm "going for a ride" or going somewhere by bike to do something. I find the gripper on the liners are a bit fierce & are prone to produce red welts during riding so, if I'm wearing them, I either turn the bottom in (but that makes them a bit tight round my thighs) or wear a second pair of unpadded liners (mostly some old Aldi ones).

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 1 Oct 2020, 5:39pm

RickH wrote:I have some of the humvee 3/4 & wear them a lot (my knees don't generally like to come out unless the temperature is consistently above about 18C).

That would be no more than a couple of times a year up here. I heard a weather person he other day saying that the temperature would drop as low as 14°C so need to wrap up. That sounds like summer.
John

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Oct 2020, 5:53pm

Oldjohnw wrote:That would be no more than a couple of times a year up here. I heard a weather person he other day saying that the temperature would drop as low as 14°C so need to wrap up. That sounds like summer.

Some years that is about right. But I often hedge my bets with knee warmers when wearing cycling shorts so I can let my knees out for part of the day if it get warm enough, even only for an hour or two.

ket

Postby ket » 1 Oct 2020, 5:58pm

tatanab wrote:
richardfm wrote:I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x .
Another vote for Corinne Dennis. I have been using them for more than 15 years. The material changed about 4 or 5 years ago to a softer touch. Good stuff, good service.

Another vote for the Corinne Dennis shorts. Had them for about 7 years. Were so good I bought another pair.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 1 Oct 2020, 9:08pm

Peter Storm trousers that have zip off legs to leave cargo shorts, incredibly quick drying, two back pockets, 2 hip (no zip) and two cargo pockets.
Or Columbia, these are heavier weight, zipped hip pockets, a second set of open hip pockets, cargo pockets plus one rear.

Both have been fabulously hard wearing and comfortable either in ordinary keks or with padded undershort/cycle shorts