Shorts for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Alan244

Shorts for touring

Post by Alan244 »

looking for recommendations for some baggy shorts for touring not the lycra type
pwa

Re: Shorts for touring

Post by pwa »

Humvees. I use them with padded liner shorts, but you don't have to.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Likewise Humvees. They come with the padded shorts but just as easy slide over normal cycling shorts if you're on a longish tour and need to alternate for washing purposes.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x and a pair of Humvees, both are good.
Richard M
Cardiff
pq

Post by pq »

I generally tour in lycra, but at other times I use Rapha touring shorts over a pair of whatever lycra bib shorts I happen to feel like wearing. They have some nice design features which make them feel not much different to wearing just the lycra.
One link to your website is enough. G
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Buy some 2 part trouser systems as sold by Regatta etc.
https://www.regatta.com/mens/trousers/s ... ice_en_gb/

1.cheap
2.versatile
3. can add bottoms if dining out,on a date or visting mosque

Also can walk round without declaring "Iam a cyclist"I buy loads from charity shops for £4-5 pair.
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

I got some not very baggy baggies from decathlon for under thirty quid a few weeks back complete with removable inner shorts and a waterproof phone/wallet pocket. Certainly better than full on lycra to wear in cafe without frightening the staff!
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

I got some not very baggy baggies from decathlon for under thirty quid a few weeks back complete with removable inner shorts and a waterproof phone/wallet pocket. Certainly better than full on lycra to wear in cafe without frightening the staff!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use the Gore C3 trail shorts now (or Aldi touring shorts, which won't appear again).
I don't ride over 80 miles very often any more, so I don't bother with padded liners, just using bog standard M&S undies (which pack smaller).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

richardfm wrote:I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x .
Another vote for Corinne Dennis. I have been using them for more than 15 years. The material changed about 4 or 5 years ago to a softer touch. Good stuff, good service.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I have some of the humvee 3/4 & wear them a lot (my knees don't generally like to come out unless the temperature is consistently above about 18C).

Whether or not I wear the padded liner depends a bit on whether I'm "going for a ride" or going somewhere by bike to do something. I find the gripper on the liners are a bit fierce & are prone to produce red welts during riding so, if I'm wearing them, I either turn the bottom in (but that makes them a bit tight round my thighs) or wear a second pair of unpadded liners (mostly some old Aldi ones).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

RickH wrote:I have some of the humvee 3/4 & wear them a lot (my knees don't generally like to come out unless the temperature is consistently above about 18C).

That would be no more than a couple of times a year up here. I heard a weather person he other day saying that the temperature would drop as low as 14°C so need to wrap up. That sounds like summer.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

Oldjohnw wrote:That would be no more than a couple of times a year up here. I heard a weather person he other day saying that the temperature would drop as low as 14°C so need to wrap up. That sounds like summer.

Some years that is about right. But I often hedge my bets with knee warmers when wearing cycling shorts so I can let my knees out for part of the day if it get warm enough, even only for an hour or two.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ket

Post by ket »

tatanab wrote:
richardfm wrote:I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x .
Another vote for Corinne Dennis. I have been using them for more than 15 years. The material changed about 4 or 5 years ago to a softer touch. Good stuff, good service.

Another vote for the Corinne Dennis shorts. Had them for about 7 years. Were so good I bought another pair.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Peter Storm trousers that have zip off legs to leave cargo shorts, incredibly quick drying, two back pockets, 2 hip (no zip) and two cargo pockets.
Or Columbia, these are heavier weight, zipped hip pockets, a second set of open hip pockets, cargo pockets plus one rear.

Both have been fabulously hard wearing and comfortable either in ordinary keks or with padded undershort/cycle shorts