Shorts for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: Shorts for touring

Postby PH » 1 Oct 2020, 9:15pm

ket wrote:
tatanab wrote:
richardfm wrote:I have a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x .
Another vote for Corinne Dennis. I have been using them for more than 15 years. The material changed about 4 or 5 years ago to a softer touch. Good stuff, good service.

Another vote for the Corinne Dennis shorts. Had them for about 7 years. Were so good I bought another pair.

The CD shorts are getting a lot of recommendations, I'm sure they're well deserved (I have and like some of their other products) but when I tried some on at York Rally they seemed very short! Well be today's norm anyway, looked very 80's, I might not have minded if it didn't leave a strip of leg exposed that's never seen the sun.
I have some Rapha Touring shorts that are really comfortable, but they're not wearing very well and unless another pair comes up in a sale I'll be looking for something else when it comes time to replace.

slowster

Postby slowster » 1 Oct 2020, 9:34pm

I use Swrve 'Transverse Trouser Shorts', which have a 9" inseam. They also make a cotton/nylon version, but I've read comments that those are rather warm in hot weather, whereas I find the lightweight synthetic fabric of the Transverse shorts very cool in hot weather. My recommendation would be for the blue colour (the fabric is texturised, which looks good but is eventually worn smooth around the seat area by the saddle, and this shows up with the lighter grey colour).

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 2 Oct 2020, 3:48pm

I'm another happy wearer of the Corinne Dennis shorts (though not necessarily of their other stuff). I also have a pair of Humvees but find them too baggy. Swrve are also good (I have the "durable cotton" version - it is durable but not much cotton - rather than the Transverse, but the cut is really good).

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 2 Oct 2020, 6:04pm

Rechecked my Peter Storm and they have zipped hip pockets plus additional hip, plus zipped rear pockets and cargo pockets, eight in total. In fact I've been wearing them out in the rain today.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 2 Oct 2020, 6:40pm

Ideal in the wet those Storms.

Alan244

Postby Alan244 » 2 Oct 2020, 8:59pm

thanks everyone im going to try a pair of the Peter Storms seem great value

Si

Postby Si » 4 Oct 2020, 9:35am

I just use a good pair of lycra shorts with a cheap pair of cargo shorts on top. Have tried Humvees but the pockets were too small for my phone which I prefer to keep about my person.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 5 Oct 2020, 10:20am

+1 to humvees, but only for wearing, not packing, as they are rather bulky.

For more compact long shorts you can screw up, Mountain Warehouse used to sell some great things - very light, pack small, near indestructible, lots of pockets. I have several pairs. I think in their quest for "continuous improvement" they have been discontinued, but a search through their current range of synthetic shorts may turn up something pretty much the same.
I used to get mine for around £15 - they have very frequent "half price" promos of course.
(If you ever pay full price for anything in Mountain Warehouse go to the back of the class)
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 5 Oct 2020, 10:23am

Si wrote:I just use a good pair of lycra shorts with a cheap pair of cargo shorts on top. Have tried Humvees but the pockets were too small for my phone which I prefer to keep about my person.

Yes Humvees aren't actually grear for pockets, despite the fact they look a bit like military stuff. I'm still trying to figure out what those big long things with the kinda diagonal velcro closure on the back are for. Seem to recall I read maps, but seems unlikely in this digital age, and anyway, you would surely screw them up.
My Mountain Warehouse specials are superior for pockets.
Sweep

Mackiemill

Postby Mackiemill » 19 Oct 2020, 6:57pm

Got a pair of Stolen Goat gravel shorts, which are good. Corinne Dennis double comfort shorts, I use as my padded underwear, and work well with the shorts (and indeed longs) - very comfortable

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 20 Oct 2020, 9:54am

Mackiemill wrote:Got a pair of Stolen Goat gravel shorts, which are good. Corinne Dennis double comfort shorts, I use as my padded underwear, and work well with the shorts (and indeed longs) - very comfortable

I bought some CD shorts online - I don't normally buy clothing like that.
Shorts were well made but a bit short. I really didn't like the fleece pad - I would have had to wear padded underwear with them.
Relegated to gym wear.

Si

Postby Si » 20 Oct 2020, 5:32pm

Sweep wrote:
Si wrote:I just use a good pair of lycra shorts with a cheap pair of cargo shorts on top. Have tried Humvees but the pockets were too small for my phone which I prefer to keep about my person.

Yes Humvees aren't actually grear for pockets, despite the fact they look a bit like military stuff. I'm still trying to figure out what those big long things with the kinda diagonal velcro closure on the back are for. Seem to recall I read maps, but seems unlikely in this digital age, and anyway, you would surely screw them up.
My Mountain Warehouse specials are superior for pockets.

Nope not sure what they were for either. When I did bikeability I found them useful for holding the list of kids names, and also junction diagrams, as could be accessed really quickly.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 20 Oct 2020, 11:38pm

Craghopper kiwi shorts - buy direct from theier web site, worth a look
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

pwa

Postby pwa » 21 Oct 2020, 6:02am

Personally, I hate having anything substantial in shorts pockets when cycling. Nothing more than a tissue lives in my pockets. The phone and the wallet live in the back pocket on my Super C rack top bag. Perhaps those who design some shorts are like me and don't realise that some people like to load their pockets up.

My least favourite pockets are the ones you get on the thigh. I don't use those at all, whether walking or cycling. I hate having a weight in there flapping around.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 21 Oct 2020, 6:18am

pwa wrote:Personally, I hate having anything substantial in shorts pockets when cycling. Nothing more than a tissue lives in my pockets. The phone and the wallet live in the back pocket on my Super C rack top bag. Perhaps those who design some shorts are like me and don't realise that some people like to load their pockets up.

My least favourite pockets are the ones you get on the thigh. I don't use those at all, whether walking or cycling. I hate having a weight in there flapping around.

Pockets are handy for when off the bike, for stuffing in the bits you have just taken off it, lights, gps, assorted clutter etc.
Sweep